We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gemini or Virgo

Which Singapore hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
reviews: 2
Gemini or Virgo

Hi

My husband and I are considering doing a cruise on either the Virgo or Gemini in March/April 2007. Does anyone know which is the better boat?

Also they seem to offer different cruises with one thru the Straits of Malacca visiting Port Klang,Langkawi, Phuket and Penang and the other going to Phuket, Vietnam, Langkawi, Bangkok and Koh Samui.

We are going for my husband's 40th birthday and really want a relaxing holiday (walks along the beach, shopping, sightseeing rather than water sports etc).

What will the weather be like in that area around then?

Thanks for your input!

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Taipei
reviews: 24
1. Re: Gemini or Virgo

I guess this question would be well answered by others from ur country who goes on those cruises. let me Pump this up to gt their notice ^__^

Good Luck

Australia
2. Re: Gemini or Virgo

Anyone?

Perth, Western...
3. Re: Gemini or Virgo

Hi ouisel,

Probably the main difference between the 2 would be the size of the ship.

Gemini is much smaller , about 800 passengers compared with 1800 for the Virgo. But that makes it much more intimate and some people prefer that. If you are travelling with children I believe the Virgo has more kids activities. Virgo has only 5 day cruises, Gemini's tend to be longer....7 or even 10 days.

We went on The Virgo in July and loved it. But we had a 12yo and a 7yo with us.

Service on both the Gemini and Virgo will be excellent and you can decide what you want to do while in port...either use the ship's excursions or do things on your own.

Have a look at cruisecritic.com boards under "other ship lines". There are threads for both the Gemini and the Virgo.

Whichever ship you decide on, you can't go wrong. This was probably the most relaxing holiday we have had in a long time and we are definitely hooked on cruising.

Hope this helps you a little

Cheers

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Taipei
4. Re: Gemini or Virgo

I have found U 2 thread for U to read up, with thread 1 closest to answering ur question:

(1) tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294265-i1748-k291…

(2) tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294265-i1748-k793…

Have fun

Australia
5. Re: Gemini or Virgo

Thanks so much for your info - very useful!

Just one more thing - what is the weather likely to be in March or April. Are we better to go earlier or later during this period???

Thanks,

Louise.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Taipei
6. Re: Gemini or Virgo

Hi Louise

For the above Question, U can read up on the below Link as I dun really remember how it was then except that it rains alot:

app.nea.gov.sg/cms/htdocs/article.asp…

Australia
7. Re: Gemini or Virgo

Thanks - looks like March may be a bit better seeing as April is listed as being one of the wettest months then?!?!?!

Singapore
reviews: 5
8. Re: Gemini or Virgo

Dear Ouisel,

I would recommend Virgo. enjoyed myself on star virgo.

Check out photos of virgo from my website.

http://larry-peng.smugmug.com/Travel

Perth
reviews: 6
9. Re: Gemini or Virgo

Hi ouise105,

We just returned from a 5 night cruise on the Virgo. It had some very good points but we probably wont go again. One of the problems was the length of time of the cruise. On the cruise that we were on through the Straits of Malacca, we visited Penang, Phuket, back to Singapore, KL and back to Singapore. It is advertised as a 5 night cruise but it is really a 3 night followed by a 2 night cruise. The ship returns to Singapore after the first three nights and has a change in passengers for the next two nights we found that it made the trip disjointed and it was like you were starting the cruise again and just filling in time. We would prefer in future to book a longer cruise or at least one that did not change the passengers mid cruise. We also did not like the two class system that was very evident on the Virgo, I am not sure if it is the same for the Gemini. They have Admiralty and Balcony class (red card cruisers) and one card for the rest of the deck levels (blue card cruisers), we found this quite hard to cope with and were not expecting this. For example the red card cruisers were fast tracked through the embarkation process where the blue card cruisers were left waiting in line. Red cards were offered a glass of fruit punch on entering the boat, the blue card cruisers were not, a very small thing, but this set the tempo for the cruise.

On the other side of the coin, the ship was very clean, the amenities such as the pool area and the gymnasium were very good and the staff were most accommodating.

I hope that my comments are of help to you in your planning.

Cheers

Belvidere

Australia
10. Re: Gemini or Virgo

Thanks - I think we will do the Gemini. I don't think they have the Red/Blue class system anyway. It also sounds like it is not a disjointed as the Virgo cruise.

I appreciate all of your feedback - thanks!