We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chinatown Night Market

belfast U.K.
reviews: 1
Chinatown Night Market

Anyone have any info on this?

read about it on an earlier post and would be keen to see this - any help would be great

Thanks

Fes

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Singapore
reviews: 57
1. Re: Chinatown Night Market

every trip to SIN, I always take a trip to Chinatown. The night market is not like HK or China's. It is similar to the Malaysian ones except cleaner and less chaotic. For some, it feels a little sterile but for me traveling with kids or family, it is great.

www.chinatown.org.sg/english/night_market.htm

Enjoy !

Adelaide, Australia
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
reviews: 294
2. Re: Chinatown Night Market

We love Singapores Chinatown, its also good for cheap meals. There are quite a few shops as well where everything is 3 items for $10, so good for souvenirs, gifts etc. I have some info on my Singapores pages re eating & shopping at Chinatown on the link below

Cathy

members.virtualtourist.com/m/b3082/84b/4/…

Singapore
reviews: 3
3. Re: Chinatown Night Market

Visit the Chinatown Heritage Centre. very enriching :)

belfast U.K.
reviews: 1
4. Re: Chinatown Night Market

Thanks guys

I actually lived in Singapore as a kid back in the 60's and have very good memories of the Jalan Kayu night market although most of the stuff then was 3 for $1

Cheshire, UK
reviews: 33
5. Re: Chinatown Night Market

Well if you know what a real street market is like, this might be a bit of a disappointment but I really liked it. When I went there last, they had a whole bunch of tradition artisans/ artist people doing/ pedalling their wares. Sterile, maybe... but still interesting since the real stuff does not exist anymore in Singapore.

The food there is a bit pricey (compared to a normal hawker centre) but they have some really good stalls there and some rare finds (ah boll ling - glutinous sweet dumpling dessert soup) etc. Also I liked the slightly tacky tourist tat on sale in the shops around the market - made good presents from friends back here.

If you have the time though, it might be worth going to a real pasar malam in the 'heartlands'... Bedok used to have a few right by the MRT station. Can anyone else think of any off hand which is there all the time?

6. Re: Chinatown Night Market

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 am, August 15, 2009