We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about Bintan

Which Singapore hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 7
Question about Bintan

Hi

Sorry to sabotage the Singapore forum but the Bintan one doesn't seem to be regularly used.

We're off to Singapore and Bintan next week (yay!) and I'm wondering whether there are any facilities on Bintan for changing money over (other than at the hotels) and also whether there are any shops there for buying food and drink. I'm not sure if we'll need to make sure we get enough currency and supplies before we leave Singapore to go over there. Can anyone help?

Thanks!

1. Re: Question about Bintan

Can you be a little more specific? It depends on which Bintan resort you stay in and how accessible (or inaccessible) they are. Some only accept or charge US dollars.

It's generally less costly to buy supplies in Singapore and a better deal to convert your currency here.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Singapore
reviews: 47
2. Re: Question about Bintan

i saw one store in the village that has some basic necessities but there were dust on the shelves so not sure how long the products had been around (but it is a normal store on an island, no air-conditioning and not as easy to keep clean so my take on this is give it a chance).

And this store only take rupiah. Here is an extract for travel advice to Bintan :

Currency

The main currency used in Indonesia is the Rupiah (Rp); however the Singapore Dollar (S$) is widely accepted at

the resorts and Pasar Oleh Oleh. Most hotels accept Visa, MasterCard and American Express credit card payments. Should you be heading down south to the greater Bintan for some sightseeing and shopping, it is advisable to have ready notes and coins in rupiah

http://wikitravel.org/en/Bintan

Note : the aggressive cab drivers and busy jetty, theft is highest at the jetty

As for money changing facilities, there are ATM machines around in the hotels (eg. remember seeing one in Nirwarna, there is definitely one in Banyan Tree, Bintan Beach resort, etc)

Good Luck

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Taipei
reviews: 24
3. Re: Question about Bintan

Rule of the thumb when travelling to Bintan, is to change Ur currency here & buy ur supply for the trip here in Singapore. Buy enough for the first 2 or 3 days & then go with the flow when U are there, atleast U can check around before the supply runs low. (Bottled water & Cookies & maybe a loaf of Bun from the bakery). Ehehe like going Picnic......Well it just wat I would bring...^__^

Make the whole holiday less stressful & worry free when U are all well prepared & provided.

Have Fun.

reviews: 7
4. Re: Question about Bintan

Thanks for your replies. We'll be staying at the Angsana Resort but in a suite with a kitchen so I did wonder whether we would be able to buy food to cook ourselves rather than be dependant on the hotel's restaurants. Sounds like we'll have to be organised and stock up in Singapore.

Thanks for your help!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Singapore
reviews: 47
5. Re: Question about Bintan

there is a thai restaurant in town that is pretty good but pricey, if not u can try the 'touristy' Pasar Oleh, there are pretty good food and definitely cheaper than the hotel's. There is a mini mart here too. For really good fresh (choose ur own seafood type of place) seafood, try Kelong (i think it is the name or spelling?)

have a good trip

6. Re: Question about Bintan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 pm, August 16, 2009