We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

12 Hour or 18 Hour Stopover in Singapore worth it?

Phoenix, Arizona
12 Hour or 18 Hour Stopover in Singapore worth it?

So am I booking my flight from Los Angeles, CA, USA to Tokyo, Japan through Singapore airlines. I noticed they have 3 options.

#1. Fly non stop to tokyo

#2. Fly to Tokyo, 1 1/2 layover, fly to Singapore for 12 hours,

and back to Tokyo

(Arrive in Singapore at 3AM & Leave at 3PM)

#3 Fly to Tokyo, 1 1/2 layover, fly to Singapore for 18 hours,

and back to Tokyo

(Arrive in Singapore at 3AM & Leave at 9:30PM)

First I thought it was foolish to fly to Tokyo and then Singapore and back to Tokyo however this seems like a good oppurtunity to explore Singapore for the very first time!

I am thking the option #3 is best because there's probalby not much to do at 3AM in Singapore, am I correct? The date is Sunday September 29th. Therefore I can take maybe a 3 or 4 hour nap in the airport and then go exploring.

I will not be being the stopover package from Singapore airlines as I will not be needing a lodging during this stay. I am perfectly okay with sleeping in the airport and on my flights. I am traveling alone with a single back pack.

Anyways do you guys think I should do this?

I would be most interested in just walking around and trying new foods, maybe pick up a few phrases in the local language, and maybe make a few friends. I know I can meet up with someone from www.couchsurfing.org or http://singapore.craigslist.com.sg/ most likely

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
reviews: 9
1. Re: 12 Hour or 18 Hour Stopover in Singapore worth it?

Unless flying to Singapore somehow works out cheaper or you are going to stay for at least 2 days, I would give it a miss.

Unless of course you just like flying and watching the IFE.

Luxembourg City...
Destination Expert
for Singapore
reviews: 42
2. Re: 12 Hour or 18 Hour Stopover in Singapore worth it?

Hello, I would get the LA-Tokyo direct flight and give Singapore a miss. I think Singapore deserves more than a few hours. This would give you more time to visit Tokyo and the surroundings like a day trip to Nikko.

Phoenix, Arizona
3. Re: 12 Hour or 18 Hour Stopover in Singapore worth it?

These are good valid points!

I should mention that all 3 options are are same price in airline fare. So I will pay the same regardless.

I looked at it two ways. Yes I would have less time in Tokyo but that also means less time I'd have to pay for housing. But then again 18 hours (or maybe 15 with to and from the airport time) is probably nothing to visit a country I've never been to.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore
reviews: 80
4. Re: 12 Hour or 18 Hour Stopover in Singapore worth it?

<<that all 3 options are are same price in airline fare. >>

Doing a detour for the same money does not sound wise to me.............

Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 47
5. Re: 12 Hour or 18 Hour Stopover in Singapore worth it?

Ok if you just want to see Singapore for 'free' I think it is a workable option. Singapore is really small and public transport in and out of Changi is very good. You can leave the airport at 6am via mrt and start exploring the city by 7am which gives you nearly a full day.

Singapore, Singapore
6. Re: 12 Hour or 18 Hour Stopover in Singapore worth it?

Hi PhillipGriego

What do you plan to do while in SG? The streets on Sunday mornings tend to be deserted. Just sayin'.

Some tourist attractions may open early; ditto certain breakfast outlets. But the general hustle & bustle won't begin until 10-11am, which may leave you with half a day to explore the city.

Phoenix, Arizona
7. Re: 12 Hour or 18 Hour Stopover in Singapore worth it?

HappyFeet25 I think you're right :)

blitzonic Honestly I have no clue haha. I know I can probably look online to see what attractions may be available to see on that day.

I'm kind of turning to the mindset of why not? What's the harm in doing this? Yes it does mean that I'll lose 1 1/2 days of being in Japan but that also means 2 nights less of having to pay for lodging.

It would be an experience right? Come back to the USA to where most of the Americans I know have never even been out of the country and to say that I went to singapore for 18 hours and Tokyo for a day or two less than 2 weeks?

The more I think about it I am thinking just the experience alone will be worth it. I am also 99% sure I can make a friend prior to landing in Singapore and have a day to connect with this person and explore my 1 day hahaha

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
reviews: 9
8. Re: 12 Hour or 18 Hour Stopover in Singapore worth it?

Well if your happy to forgo a couple of days in Japan to save on Hotel cost, the flights are the same price (free sleeps, food and entertainment I suppose), and clearly you dont mind flying, then go for it. The 18hr option is the only one to go for.

If your flight back is at 21.30, you should be leaving town for the airport by 20.00 so you have practically a whole day in Singapore. In order to see the most, give the big attractions a miss as theses take a chunck out of the day.

Head for Gardens by the Bay at day light and visit the Domes as soon as they open. Then a a walk around Marina Bay (may be heading up Marina Bay sands for the photo op) before heading off to China Town for lunch. Catch the MRT to Little India before getting to City hall for a early drink at the Long Bar at Raffles (if that your thing or heading to Orchard Road for some retail therapy. Have dinner at a food court along the way.

Edited: 4:50 pm, July 21, 2013
Singapore, Singapore
9. Re: 12 Hour or 18 Hour Stopover in Singapore worth it?

Hi PhillipGriego

I myself kinda did what you have in mind, back in the day when I had 3-day R&R passes in Taipei while on overseas reservist training. Left my hotel at the crack of dawn (5am) & went sightseeing on foot as & until the city stirred to life 5 hours later. Memorable experience in its own way.

Sure, go for it as a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity & you can handle the jet lag & the humidity (sunrise here is 7am but scorching only between 9:30 & 4:30).

As for destinations, the Marina Bay area is spectacular & also connects to Boat Quay/Clarke Quay/Robertson Quay at one end & Kallang Basin at the other. Free walking & running trails http://www.marina-bay.sg/funtrails.html

Note that weekend mornings tend to attract a different crowd: assorted joggers, cyclists, kite hobbyists, dragonboaters/water skiers (Kallang Basin end), tai chi people, senior-citizen excursions, etc.

You can also detour midway to head to Gardens By The Bay, where the outdoor gardens have free entry & open at 5am.

Waterloo Street in the Bugis area is also bustling with street activity once the Kwan Im Buddhist Temple & the Sri Krishnan Hindu Temple open at or before dawn. Very good for people watching. Quirky to see Chinese devotees praying outdoors (even when the temple gates are locked), touching/rubbing the Laughing Buddha statue nearby, & offering joss sticks to the Hindu gods as well!

Further up the road are multiple Catholic/Protestant churches & a Jewish synagogue, indicating the kind of religious harmony we strive for. A Muslim mosque also used to be nearby where the Strand Hotel now is.

Too bad your timing will be on a Sunday, since there is an ongoing year-long trial which lets early weekday MRT commuters to go the city centre (16 station stops) either for free (anytime before 7:45am) or at half price (7:45 to 8am).

Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
reviews: 15
10. Re: 12 Hour or 18 Hour Stopover in Singapore worth it?

blitzonic,

The Bencoolen Mosque is still there, beside the Bencoolen Hotel.

Edited: 10:38 am, July 22, 2013