We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 kids Sentosa and jet lag

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 35
4 kids Sentosa and jet lag

Dear Singapore Gurus

We would be very appreciative of your advice: we shall be stopping over in Singapore for 3 days and 2 nights in January next year on our return from Switzerland to Sydney. Our flight arrives at 6 am and we will head to Sentosa island, accommodation as yet unbooked, budget fairly loose. Our flight on departure does not leave until 20h approx.

Please can you suggest the best way of whiling away the hours between 6 am and 10 am when it seems to me that most of the attractions open? Our 4 kids will be 2, 4, 8 and 13. Are any hotels open to negotiation on early check in and lat check out? If so we are open to bending the budget.

All suggestions, including miraculous cures for 4 children with jet lag most gratefully accepted.

Melbourne
reviews: 15
1. Re: 4 kids Sentosa and jet lag

I'm not going to be a lot of help to you as we aren't travelling until September. However, we are staying at Shangri-La Rasa Sentosa and are paying 1/2 a nights rate for a 4pm late check out. They said for early checkin you need to book the room for previous night.

As for jet lag, I have found it helps to get out and about as soon as you can and that the kids will eventually flake in the afternoon. I would be inclined to go to your hotel, leave your bags if you haven't organised early rooms and go to the hotel pool. Otherwise you could go for a bit of an explore around Sentosa, I think the public transport on the island starts fairly early. Imbiah Lookout is open 24 hours and there are a few attractions in the vicinity that open around 9. Have a look at www.sentosa.com.sg.

Good luck with your planning!

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
reviews: 9
2. Re: 4 kids Sentosa and jet lag

You might want to get some breakfast at the airport first, so it will be around 8am when you get to your hotel. January is a quieter time and Sentosa hotels are hardly full midweek if that's where you ar staying. If your room is available when you check in they I'll give it to you early for no charge. If you want to garantee an erly check in you will need to book it from the night before. Should it not be available you can leave your bags until you room becomes available.

Universal studios or the adventure cove water park will keep them going.

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore
reviews: 18
3. Re: 4 kids Sentosa and jet lag

There really is little point trying to persuade a hotel to give you bonus checkin benefits at the point you turn up. For early arrival, all the decent ones will provide access to the room if its available once you get into breakfast time and later and if it isnt cannot do anything about it anyway, or they will take your luggage and store it for you if the room is not available.

The same for late check out, they normally charge for it or offer it as a perk to club/repeat guests, so handing it out to a one off visitor is not really in their interest since they are perfectly happy to hold your baggage until you go to the airport. You can always ask what they can do for you and you might get lucky, but expect them to offer the luggage service.

In my experience thats the important thing anyway - once I am packed and checked out on the last day really its the luggage that is the deadweight. We leave our hand luggage too and just take one small day bag out with us.

To specifics, if you land at 6am, it will be between 7 and 7.30 by the time you reach your hotel and at the very least drop your bags. You can then go and find some breakfast. ts really hard to be more specific here without knowing where you intend to stay. However I guess organising kids you should finish that around 8.30ish. At that stage a taxi ride or MRT to Sentosa and the place will be opening as you wander onto the island. Things do start opening at 9am, and if the things that interest you do not then it s easy enough to use the time until opening to wander the grounds. It depends where you are heading, be that USS, Mount Imbiah, Siloso Point etc.

As to jetlag - there is only one sensible way to beat that and its to make sure you kick your body to the right sleep wake pattern. That means you look at your flight times and work out when on the flight you need to be sleeping and rigidly stick to it - if you cannot sleep you need to have eyes closed and resting for as much of the time block as you can - yes thats boring all get out, but it does help unlike deciding a few minutes of a film or TV or games console won't matter.....its hard enough to convince some adults that this is the best way so how you organise your kids to do this I don't know - you know the combination or option in terms of bribery, corruption and/or instruction that works best with them :)

If you lucky they might have enough energy to keep going all through the day after being cooped up. However the climate will be a shock if you are not used to it. With a 6am landing you really really have to keep going through the day until at least early evening to avoid the jetlag wrecking the next few days which are all you have.....I've been there and done that and the temptation to just settle down for a couple of hours n the middle of the day can be very strong and it will be a bad idea.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 35
4. Re: 4 kids Sentosa and jet lag

Many thanks for your replies, we will make sure we book a hotel with a swimming pool and keep going!

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore
reviews: 18
5. Re: 4 kids Sentosa and jet lag

I would comment that while a pool is a great thing to have on the list for a hotel when you have kids - it serves you best at the end of a day out to cool off (in longer holidays you can do a rest day with a large chunk by the pool as well).

For your first day the risk with the pool is that of falling asleep by the pool - which could quite effectively wreck any anti-jetlag options you have put in place....

6. Re: 4 kids Sentosa and jet lag

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:39 am, July 06, 2013
7. Re: 4 kids Sentosa and jet lag

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 08, 2014