We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Singapore multiple entry

Boston...
reviews: 5
Singapore multiple entry

Hi,

My girlfriend is moving to Singapore for 4 months during the fall to study (Exchange student). In that relation my plan is to go with her, but as I will not be enrolled into a university, I believe that I can only obtain the 90 days visa free entry as a tourist (I am a Danish citizen).

My question is now; what are my travel possibilities from Singapore. Given that I am given a 90 day stay there, will I be able to travel out and in of the country every weekend, to do weekend trips to Malaysia, Indonesia etc. - without having any problems with the border control?

Thanks in advance.

32 replies to this topic
LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
reviews: 9
1. Re: Singapore multiple entry

You get a 30 day (rarely only 2 weeks) social visit pass when you enter Singapore. You may go and come as you like during this time and you will be given a new social visit pass on arrival with new validity. If you do this too many times leaving and returning on the same day, the immigration officer may at his discretion not allow you back.

A better option for longer stays would be to extend your pass up to a maximum of 90 day from date arrival which you can do in Singapore. You will need proof of a ticket (flight,bus,train,ferry) out when you apply. You then will need to leave Singapore for a minimum of 5 days before you will be allowed back if you choose this option.

Edited: 7:27 pm, March 15, 2013
Boston...
reviews: 5
2. Re: Singapore multiple entry

Thank you very much for your reply.

When you say "You then will need to leave Singapore for a minimum of 5 days before you will be allowed back if you choose this option." - what exactly does that mean?

Assuming that I apply for - and is granted - a 90 days visit pass. If I choose to take a 3 day trip to Malaysia, I will not be allowed back into Singapore (if I have to leave for minimum 5 days). But if I return after 5 days, I enter on the same 90-days pass? Or do they issue a new visit pass after leaving the country for 5 days or more?

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
3. Re: Singapore multiple entry

The way I understand it is your social visit pass expire the moment you leave Singapore, be that a 30 day pass or the extended pass. If you apply and are granted the extended pass, you need to be away for 5 days before you can return, even if you leave after say a week. If you are on the regular 30 day pass you can come and go even on the same day and be granted a new pass when you return.. People take the bus to Johor and return in a few hour to get an extra 30 days. But as I say if you do this a few times, you may only be given 2 weeks or 7 days if they think you are just trying to extend your stay rather than genuinely traveliing around the region before returning.

Austin, Texas
4. Re: Singapore multiple entry

Hello Jacob B,

Have you figure this out yet? I will be doing the same thing next year. Please let me know how are you guys going to do. thank you so much!

Singapore, Singapore
5. Re: Singapore multiple entry

Hi!

My situation is like this: my fiance from another country will be visiting me here on the 25th august.. We have plane tickets for bali on 20th september, back again to Singapore on 23rd september.. Thats still within the 30days pass he will be given upon initial arrival, but i want him to go home at least on 31st september..

My questions are: upon arrival should we buy a decoy ticket (forward ticket) at least 21days days from date entry) or should he show his bali forward ticket on the 20th sept?

And will he be given another 30days in Singapore upon arrival back from bali on the 23rd sept (although we dont plan on him consuming it) its only 3 days out of Singapore, not the 5nights iv read they say on other posts

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
6. Re: Singapore multiple entry

If he is a national of a country that does not require a visa, he will get a 30 day social visit pass every time he enters Singapore. The 5 days away rule is only if you apply to extended the 30 day stay in Singapore without leaving the country. If you leave within the original 30 days you can come back the same day and get a another 30 day visit pass.

Singapore
reviews: 50
7. Re: Singapore multiple entry

<You then will need to leave Singapore for a minimum of 5 days before you will be allowed back >

This rule applies if you submit an ONLINE application for your social visit pass extention via ICA's "Extend" facility. It means that if you have got your visit pass extended via "Extend", you cannot re-enter Singapore for until 5 days after you have exited the country. If you apply for the social visit pass extension across the Counter at ICA's office in Singapore (instead of online), then this 5 day condition does not apply. One of my relatives who was on holiday had to leave Singapore for a short weekend getaway. When I inquired on phone, ICA informed that in this case, the visitor had to submit a paper application at ICA rather than online application.

Singapore, Singapore
8. Re: Singapore multiple entry

Ok..

Im sorry ill be a bit fussy i dont want anything to go wrong plus i dont want himhaving any brushes with ICA..

After reading ur reply guys, iv come to this understanding, pls correct me if im wrong..

Theres no need for us to apply an extension of visa for him.. (He will be arriving aug25, if given 30days stay, which i dearly pray he would, he will be allowed to stay until 23rd sept) We exit Singapore on 20th, and then back again 23rd, i believe he will be given another 30days on this new entrance to Singapore, am i correct?

One more thing id like to clarify, is it almost always assured of the 30days pass? Some people are telling me to buy him a decoy ticket exiting Singapore at least fifteen days from arrival, just for show upon initial entrance,.. and then spend the 30days pass.. Im afraid if i do that, say buy him ticket exiting SG on 10th Sept, he will be instead granted to stay only until that day, and not the 30days were hoping.. Should we just show his ticket for bal as a forward ticket? Pls enlighten me

Singapore
reviews: 50
9. Re: Singapore multiple entry

<Kay Jay>

1. No guarantee that you will be granted a 30 day pass, especially when you are re-entering Singapore within a short span.

2. "Decoy ticket" - the immigration officers at airport generally do not ask to see return tickets, however, it is not advisable to play with the rules in Singapore, especially in immigration matters. If you are caught breaking rules, you will most likely end up paying dearly. The ticket and the return flight date which you produce to the immigration officer (if asked to do so) must be genuine. You can buy date changeable ticket and extend the return journey dates if you are granted a longer visit pass.

I don't think its a wise idea to plan a trip based on 'hoping' that your wishes come true.

...and when it comes to crucial matters which could affect your trip as a whole, its best to get first hand information, directly from the horses' mouth rather than relying on public opinion, the 'horse' in this case being ICA Singapore. Call ICA and put across your query to them or send them an email. They do reply.

Edited: 4:39 am, August 12, 2013
Singapore, Singapore
10. Re: Singapore multiple entry

visit pass extension get 30 days, 20th day i go Malaysia then come back 3rd day may i get once again 30day approval for stay in Singapore indiran

Reply to: Singapore multiple entry
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted