We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A day trip

Which Singapore hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
reviews: 1
A day trip

Hi there again

Going to escape for one day from the folks and was wondering what someone would suggest. We can leave early in the morning and get back whatever time that night.

Would love to do a bit of shopping (*whispers* perhaps some fake designer stuff... shhhh)

Any ideas? Perhaps a ferry to Bintan or another island? Quick trip to Malaysia? but where to?

Any ideas?

Cheers, Michelle

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Singapore
reviews: 47
1. Re: A day trip

bintan is not a place for shopping though there are a few souvenir shops. Batam is a lot better for shopping but not so much for beaches coz Bintan has the nicer beaches :)

Desaru is accessible for day trips but again shopping is not a big thing in that area (street lined with souvenirs shops).

So if is just plain shopping, u can hop over to Johor and eat a little, shop a little and be back in a jiffy.

Good Luck

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Singapore
2. Re: A day trip

i like Malacca if u want to sight see a bit and shop and eat.

Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 23
3. Re: A day trip

If you can spare, catch a shuttle flight to KL and back. One of my favourite places when I need a quick fix. KL's Petaling Street (Chinatown) sells many imitation stuff (though of course they can't beat Bangkok)!

There is so much more to shop in KL than in Johor.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 1
4. Re: A day trip

Thanks everyone, getting some great ideas here.... the shuttle to KL sounds the go, can you give me a bit more info with that? Thanks.

Singapore, Singapore
5. Re: A day trip

Just head down to the airport (Terminal 2) on the day of your intended departure. Ask the cab driver to drop you at the last gate, where the SQ/MH shuttle operates to Kuala Lumpur.

You can either purchase a one way or return shuttle fare from the SQ or MH ticketing counter ... costs aproximately S$300 round trip, including airport taxes. Write in your name on the ticket as per your passport, get a shuttle queue no. and wait for the next available SQ or MH flight to KL.

First few flights to KL:

SQ102 ..... leaving at 0630hrs

MH602 ....................... 0650hrs

SQ108 ....................... 0830hrs

MH604 ....................... 1005hrs

Last flights from KL back to Singapore:

SQ117 ...................... 1845hrs

MH607 ...................... 1930hrs

SQ119 ....................... 2145hrs

MH609 ....................... 2315hrs

Flight time's just about an hour. Busiest flight usually is SQ108 from SIN to KL and SQ117/MH607 from KL back to Singapore. Many businessmen on day trips.

Good Luck!

Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 31
6. Re: A day trip

i dare not contradict checkers

but think about it...

Sg-KL shuttle.

1-2 hours pre-flight, 45 mins flight, 1 hour disembark, 1 hour KLIA train into town (separate fee)...about 5 hours = S$300.

Sg-KL coach: Singapore bus station to KL central bus station, inclusive of everything, 6 hours, costing no more than s$100 (average S$30 each way)

http://www.journeymalaysia.com/ptasingkl.htm

Want KL? Take the night bus (depart around 11pm, arrv around 5-6am) in both directions, get one full day in KL, save 2 nights hotel.

Coaches e.g. Nice2 and Transtar have "airline" quality seats.

some, e.g. aeroline have personal TV screen!

again, i dare not contradict the boss lady.

:)

but just for your info!

Singapore, Singapore
7. Re: A day trip

Wah lau ... don't say until I so scary leh. You wait AP. You just wait ... (*evil laugh*)

Michelle, If you can get the night off then do the coach thingy. It's lots more luxurious compared to the flights ... also a much cheaper option as well :)

Best combination = Overnight coach to KL and then fly shuttle back? (Shuttle from KL-SIN is cheaper than SIN-KL anyway ...)

The KLIA Express train to/from the airport and KL Sentral is about a 30-40min journey.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Singapore
8. Re: A day trip

the KL flight is definitely costly but if u lack the time, it is your best choice.

Batam is a good place to shop and easily reachable from SIN (45 mins ferry). Only thing is, remember Malaysia decades ago ? Well Batam is kind of like that, a little chaotic and definitely not as clean as SIN even in some of their local malls (not the fancy ones) but u can find what u r looking for. Mind u, avoid the SIN departmental stores coz prices are the same as u find in SIN though these are the nicer ones to shop around in.

9. Re: A day trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:19 pm, August 12, 2009