We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to exchange Currency

Which Singapore hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
CA
reviews: 21
Best place to exchange Currency

Decided not to bring my ATM card this time as I will have near Crisp U.S.D and Credit cards with no foreign transaction fees.

Where would be the best place for exchanging currency at the highest rate? I will be staying in the Marina at Conrad Centennial hotel.

TIA

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
reviews: 9
21. Re: Best place to exchange Currency

My advice for visitors is as per post #19, not post #20.

Same goes when purchasing other items especially electronics. Avoid the places the that don't advertise their prices ( the type you will find in Lucky plaza and Sim Lim Square). These are the type of places where the salesman gives you a once over and if you like the gullible sort, quotes you a rip off price.

London, United...
reviews: 62
22. Re: Best place to exchange Currency

I wrote:

>>I know it's obvious .... but do check rates before you change and have a good idea .. say check with the hotel rates before going out because some of the exchange booths are very uncompetitive or put less politely a tourist sam A few weeks ago two booths quoted an exchange rate of 1.27'ish changing pounds sterling to Singapore when the rate should be around 1.8 / 1.9.<<

You felt compelled to rubbish my advice and call me a liar:

>>All money changers will display their prices. I have never heard or seen one display such erroneous prices in Singapore. All money changers are pretty competitive, even the one at the airport. Worst rate safe from you hotel.<<

Every time I challenged you "qualified" (changed) your ground.

Now you say check rates and get the best. Why on earth did you bother?

Sydney, Australia
23. Re: Best place to exchange Currency

I agree with Mankster, all the money changers I have seen (I have only been to mainstream locations such as those this the shopping malls, Little India ) have all had boards that show the current rate and they have all been within a few cents of each other. Yes of course compare rates and know what it would cost back home. But I found as some one mentioned before, it would cost more in train and taxi fare than the few cents differance between the various outlets. The airport must have been the worst rate for AUD I came across but it was still near enough the same as in Mustafa where I changed the bulk of my money. The worst rate I came across was that being offered at the front desk of the Mandarin Oriental where I stayed last.

I have never come across any place that has rate as bad as Uk4 has mentioned. Maybe as the guy was asleep and you woke him up, he was too drowsy to quote you the correct rate. Or may you got quoted for a different currency. Stay away from these shady places that don't show their prices. Yes I found a lot of the camera stores in Lucky plaza were the same, don't get taken in by their persuasion and "good deal" they offer you as you walk by. My advice - if the store keeper is asleep or their are no prices, just walk on by.

London, United...
24. Re: Best place to exchange Currency

Bugis and Middle Road aren't shady places and are mainstream places. One quoted 1.27 the other 1.275. The hotel actually ended up offering the best rate which contradicts another generalisation.

Warning someone to take care seemed like a reasonable thing to do.

Preston, United...
25. Re: Best place to exchange Currency

I have been travelling to Singapore since 1997 and find it hard to believe that someone was offering 1.27 as an exchange rate for sterling.

Generally all money changers offer rates that are very similar in my experience.

Juliet

London, United...
26. Re: Best place to exchange Currency

Me too ...... that's why I posted the warnng .. ( yawn.......)

reviews: 17
27. Re: Best place to exchange Currency

We are flying from UK to Singapore with BA. When we land where in Arrivals is the money changer is it easy to find we will be getting a taxi to hotel so need to change up some money when we arrive.

London, United...
28. Re: Best place to exchange Currency

Use an ATM .... they are all over the terminal. If you have a card like the Halifax Clarity then the charges are minimal. Remember to tell your bank and CC company before you go ......

Enjoy your trip.

Edited: 4:16 pm, February 10, 2013
London, United...
29. Re: Best place to exchange Currency

...... also ... just another thought. You needn't panic too much as most taxis take credit cards, and if their machine isn't working they tend to ask if it's cash or not before they let you in. There are changers as well as ATMs at the airport and they all charge pretty much the same. You'll be fine! :)

30. Re: Best place to exchange Currency

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, February 12, 2014