We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transiting at Singapore Changi

Perth, Australia
reviews: 1
Transiting at Singapore Changi

This weekend I'm transiting through Singapore Changi. I arrive into T1 with Jetstar Asia, before leaving 15 hours later with Qatar Airways from T3.

I'd prefer not to have to go through immigration and customs and then wait landside for 12-13 hours before being allowed to check-in with Qatar, but the transfer procedure at Singapore is confusing me.

Obviously I could go to the Qatar transfer desk when I arrive, but I'm worried about my checked baggage - even if I can be transferred without going through immigration, surely my bags will be on the other side waiting to be collected?

Any advice on my options would be appreciated!

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore
reviews: 80
1. Re: Transiting at Singapore Changi

<< even if I can be transferred without going through immigration, surely my bags will be on the other side waiting to be collected? >>>

Upon landing in Changi just approach transfer counter and ask for your luggage status + possibility to print your boarding for qatar flight. If transfer counter CONFIRMS that are able to reload your luggage to the on-gong flight - you are fine and nothing to worry about. Stay AIRSIDE, do not go through the customs etc. If they say you have to collect your luggage from Jetstar flight - YES, you must go through passport check and then check-in for qatar flight the usual way 2 hours prior to departure.

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
reviews: 9
2. Re: Transiting at Singapore Changi

"Obviously I could go to the Qatar transfer desk when I arrive, but I'm worried about my checked baggage - even if I can be transferred without going through immigration, surely my bags will be on the other side waiting to be collected?"

Yes this is how it works if you transfer via the Transfer Lounge airside. The baggage handler for Quatar will collect your bags from the lost and found counter next to the luggage belt and transfer it for you.

Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
reviews: 16
3. Re: Transiting at Singapore Changi

Hi Peter,

You can do a lot of things at Changi while transiting but 12-13 hours in the airport can be an overkill, imo. Would you consider leaving the airport and heading to the city? MRT fare to the city is just about $2 and takes about 45 minutes. You can then enjoy some of the sights and food here before heading back to the airport. For luggage, you can just store them at Left Baggage for a nominal fee.

changiairport.com/at-changi/…baggage-services

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Penang
reviews: 51
4. Re: Transiting at Singapore Changi

flying with jetstar you will not be able to book your bags throughto your final port ...one of the problems with low cost aitlines ..you will have to go through Immigration and Customs and then check in again

Edited: 6:44 am, October 16, 2012
Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
reviews: 16
5. Re: Transiting at Singapore Changi

I may be wrong, but based on this you may not be able to have your bags transferred.

changiairport.com/in-transit/transit-informa…

Singapore
reviews: 156
6. Re: Transiting at Singapore Changi

It's most likely that you will need to clear immigration and collect your luggage, since it's Jetstar.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore
reviews: 80
7. Re: Transiting at Singapore Changi

<<It's most likely that you will need to clear immigration and collect your luggage, since it's Jetstar.>>

YES, but checking the things with the transfer counter will not hurt............

8. Re: Transiting at Singapore Changi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, October 19, 2013