We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping

Sydney
reviews: 4
Shopping

Coming to Singapore for 5 days (July) in search of antique or vintage fabrics and perhaps some interesting pieces of old furniture.

Is there somewhere special I could head to find ikat /batik or old

Indian fabrics?

Asia
reviews: 41
1. Re: Shopping

Hmmmm for ikat and batik fabrics.....

Ok, you might want to try the shops along Arab Street There are a couple which sell batik, and ikat. I don't know if they are old fabrics or not.

You can also try some shops in Holland Village Shopping Centre.

You can also contact The Intan:

www.the-intan.com/index.php…

and ask around. the Peranakans would have the best connections with vintage batik.

The owner of the Intan just donated antique batik altar cloth to the Peranakan museum

Indian fabrics, I guess Little India. I'm not familiar with old Indian fabrics but for sure, you can find indian fabrics in Little India.

Old Furniture. How old is old? 50 years? 60? 100? Or something using old wood? (Singapore is very young)

What kind of style are you looking at? Chinese, Colonial? Different places cater to different needs.

Sydney
reviews: 4
2. Re: Shopping

Very helpful...thankyou so much

I am looking for "ethnic" products for my homewares shop so dont have to be true "antiques", just quirky and interesting.

I usually buy my ikats in Bali so may not have the range to choose from in Singapore but will head to Arab Street and Holland Village.

Asia
reviews: 41
3. Re: Shopping

LOL, If you buy your ikats in Bali, then Singapore may not be the place to do so. There are definitely more shops in Bali.

There is a shop called Jim Art (I think at Holland Village Shopping Centre). And Lim's - which is kinda pricey. They are "homewares" shops as well.

If it's jsut regular batik, then you cna head to Geylang as well. GO to Arab Street and try the shops there firs,t and then head to Geylang Serai area for some more batiks.

Good Luck.

4. Re: Shopping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:05 am, October 10, 2012
5. Re: Shopping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 am, December 15, 2013