We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation to the zoo/night safari

reviews: 274
Transportation to the zoo/night safari

We will be staying at the Sheraton Towers on Scotts Road and plan to visit the night safari and probably the zoo. Is the best way to get to the zoo to take the MRT to the Ang Mo Kio station, then the 138 bus? Is the bus service reasonably good? Are the buses timed with the MRT train schedules?

Sentosa Island...
1. Re: Transportation to the zoo/night safari

depends on how many of you going, sometimes taking a cab might be better if there are about 4 of you..

Not sure if the buses are timed with the MRT, but I've taken 138 before, not too much problem.. just a bit long for the ride to the zoo/safari. Take note.

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore
reviews: 18
2. Re: Transportation to the zoo/night safari

Personally, I always go to the zoo or the night safari using taxis. Its quicker by a considerable margin - about 25-30mins or so compared to the 90+mins on the bus and MRT (thats 90mins travel plus waiting time). If I finish at the zoo and feel like it I will come back to my hotel by bus and MRT, its a pleasant ride and gets a look at residential areas of Singapore (plus ANg Mo Kio hub has some great food choices).

Certainly for the Night Safari the taxi is by far and away the best option both ways - Im not sure how late the buses carry on running and the chunk of time it takes to get to the Night Safari is large compared to the time you spend there nearly 2hrs each way for a 3hr approx visit is a lot of travel time.

Just as a point - I would never advise doing the zoo and night safari on the same day unless you absolutely have to, in fact I'd actively advise against it. I know they are next to each other, but the zoo needs for me a whole day to go round it, even a half day is draining and that puts you at the Night Safari tired which is really bad for a trip to the Night Safari.

Singapore
reviews: 12
3. Re: Transportation to the zoo/night safari

'Is the bus service reasonably good? Are the buses timed with the MRT train schedules?' It's public buses (what quality would you expect from a public transportation?), so far Singapore public bus has a good quality. and schedule depends on the hour, peak hour can be more frequent than other hour of the day.

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
reviews: 9
4. Re: Transportation to the zoo/night safari

Yes take a taxi to the Zoo and Night Safari. MRT and buses are good for just about everywhere else. They run every few miniutes, so reall need to to bother with a schedule/timetable like overground trains - just turn up and take the next train.

uk
reviews: 11
5. Re: Transportation to the zoo/night safari

ang mo kio to the zoo is 40 minutes on bus (there are warning signs on the ticket counters) it was about 15 minutes in a taxi. We got a taxi back to hotel in clark quay instead of mrt and actually worked out a lot quicker and cheaper than taxi/mrt.

Luxembourg City...
Destination Expert
for Singapore
reviews: 42
6. Re: Transportation to the zoo/night safari

hi,

bus is ok but the ride takes a long time. Also if you plan to get to Night Safari by bus take note that at the end of the afternoon the bus terminal can be over crowded as people are leaving their office to go back home.

The most convenient way would be a taxi.

Singapore
reviews: 157
7. Re: Transportation to the zoo/night safari

Buses and trains run frequently enough that you don't need to check schedules. Publiic buses in Singapore are in good condition. The bus terminal is air conditioned. Why not take a bus to the zoo/safari and take a taxi on the return trip.

manila
reviews: 101
8. Re: Transportation to the zoo/night safari

AccidentalTourist69 has a good point. Last January, 5 of us took public transport (MRT to AMK station then the 138 to Night Safari) - 2 adults, and 3 kids aged 3, 5 and 10. No hassles since the kids were pretty well behaved, but it was a long ride. In hindsight, I think I would have taken the cab back from the Night safari instead of the 138 --> MRT

Singapore
9. Re: Transportation to the zoo/night safari

See the website on transport to go :

www.zoo.com.sg/l2_t2.aspx?l1=2&l2=11&langid=1

There are many ways to go to the zoo. Of course, it is not that expensive to take taxi to anywhere in Singapore but MRT & bus will be a nice choice if you have the time, as they can take you to the suburbs which normally tourists mostly stick to town area, don't explore into the suburbs. If you take taxi, the taxi driver will most probably use the highways which is fast but you can't see much of Singapore daily life from the taxi.

A pretty fast route is take MRT to Choa Chu Kang station then take bus 927 at the connecting bus inter-change.. The zoo is not far from Choa Chu Kang area.

Edited: 1:29 am, November 02, 2011
reviews: 274
10. Re: Transportation to the zoo/night safari

How much would the taxi be to/from the Sheraton? 18 km does seem like a ways, but I suppose taxis are less expensive than they are here in the US? How long is the 927 bus ride?