We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Durian

Melbourne, Australia
Durian

Hi everybody

This fruit has been banned in a number of places in Asia because of its smell. What has been your experience with it?

A few years ago my wife and I visited Singapore, bought one of these fruit, took it onto the train, and then ate it in the hotel room. The next morning we found out that you can be fined if you are found to be taking it on the trains, as well as not being able to eat it in the hotel. I had to buy some airfreshener to get rid of the smell from the hotel room before the maids came to clean the room.

Mellee

Melbourne Aust
reviews: 5
1. Re: Durian

Have got friends who tried it last year and loved the tasted, LOATHED the smell!! Haven't tried as of yet, maybe in 3 weeks when were in Singapore..

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Taipei
reviews: 24
2. Re: Durian

Hi Mallee

U can bring Durian and travel on a MRT train BUT, it have to be out of it thorny husk & already pack in foam box.

Train dun allow the whole thorny fruit(as in the picture at train station) as it might scatch passenger & also it puts those who loathe it off (we consider this banning of whole durian as a way of been considerate towards other passenger who loathe the fruit).

The Hotel dun ban guest from bringing durian back to their room to eat. But it would be nice to fresh up the room after eating, that way U won;t be causing inconvenience to other guest who might check into the room after U check out.

The best place to get good durian is Geylang & Chinatown (behind CK department stall). The peak Durian season is between June to August every year. And malaysia Durian are the best.

Here's more of wat durian can be make into:

http://www.durianpalace.com/gourmet.htm

Happy Chomping ^___^.

singapore
reviews: 3
3. Re: Durian

wel for those pple who enjoyed durian wont mind the smell in fact we dn even feel tat e smell is a torture.. wel.. juz enjoy e fruit.. at least hav a 1st bite 2 knw if u like it...