We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with hotel selection

Omaha
Help with hotel selection

Hello,

Singapore air is giving me the choice between the 3 hotels for a 3 day stay in March. They will provide trasportation to and from the hotel. Which of these three is very well location, and close to metro for easy travel in the city.

Raffles The Plaza, The Ritz-Carlton Millenia, Shangri-La Singapore

Thanks,

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Singapore
reviews: 59
1. Re: Help with hotel selection

Raffles Plaza has the convenient factor of having the metro(subway) directly beneath the building (structure). Location is good as it is right next to its sister hotel the Raffles as well as next to Chimjes.

Ritz is next(linked by bridges) to Suntec as well as linked to Marina. Ritz is linked by underground tunnels (lined with shopping/stores) to Raffles City (where Raffles Plaza is located, this hotel with another is linked by a mall).

Shangri La is on a large property all by itself and is only a few minutes walk to Orchard and Tanglin. The closest MRT (metro/subway) is Orchard which is about a 7 mins walk. Along this route, you will pass private residence, hotels, malls, etc.

In terms of quality and service, I would opt for Shangri La (what room is being offered to you ? Tower wing is better if you can get it but usually they offer this upgrade just as you are checking in).

If you plan to travel quite a bit by metro (bear in mind some are not linked to the attractions, you will still need to take a cab there from the station, eg. Zoo, Bird Park, etc), then the Raffles Plaza might be your choice for the convenience.

PS. Cabs are really cheap in SIN, doesnt cost more than US$5 if you are wondering around town or if it is further, not more than US$10 (with all the surcharges)

Good Luck and have a good trip

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Singapore
2. Re: Help with hotel selection

Not sure what other factors you are considering for hotel choices but here are some to consider :

1) for a view, the Ritz has the marina view for some of its room (if that on offer by SIA or you can opt for the upgrade)

2) to be in Orchard area (shopping and eating belt of SIN), it will be Shangri La

3) Raffles Plaza has a nice spa to relax in after a full day's activities

Omaha
3. Re: Help with hotel selection

Thank you very much. They did not say what kind of rooms are available. Just a choice of Hotels. However, they do have a hop in bus that takes us around the city so I am thinking we should be okay no matter where we go. Right now, we are booked at the Ritz Carlton Millenia. I just hope I can get to an Indian Resturant from there, because I am a vegetarian and enjoy both north and south indian food. ANy more suggestions are welcome from all of you.

Thanks

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Singapore
4. Re: Help with hotel selection

Most of the good Indian vegetarian restaurants are in Little India but here are some other recommendations :

1) Annalakshmi Vegetarian Restaurant (Excelsior hotel)

2) Bombay Woodland Vege Restaurant (Tanglin Shopping Center)

3) Wansen Palace Vegetarian Restaurant (Tanjong Pagar somewhere)

4) LingZhi Vegetarian Restaurant (Orchard Towers)

5) Komala Vilas (Little India)

6) Lao Di Fang (closest to you, in Marina Square, linked to the Ritz)

7) Hong Kong Bodhi Vegetarian Cuisine (also in Marina Square)

8) Grand Court Vegetarian Restaurant (Orchard Shopping Center)

9) Indinine (Suntec City, linked to the hotel as well by bridges)

10) Kaoyi Vegetarian Restaurant (somewhere near Bugis)

Bon Appetite !

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Singapore
5. Re: Help with hotel selection

I had added some chinese ones just in case you want to try these, not that common in the US. Also, if you go to the food court, there are food stalls that sells Chinese as well as Indian vegetarian food which is only US$3 for a whole meal !!!

Singapore
6. Re: Help with hotel selection

Well Singapore airline must be real clever to provide you with some of the 3 most expensive hotel in Singapore. Haha ... Rest assure that the services of hotel industry is one of the top in the world.

To add on to the information of the previous post, Raffles the Plaza is the tallest building in Singapore. 70+ floor and you will be seeing the almost the whole of Singapore on a clear day. Ritz-Carlton is situated not too far away from Raffles The Plaza and both provide excellent hotel services. I'm am not too sure about Shangri-La Singapore but feedback from my friends is very promising too ... but in terms of location, Raffles The Plaza is still the best.

If you want the best and you can afford the cash, Fullerton Hotel will be the hotel for you. Its the only 5 star hotel in Singapore and you will be amazed that the building was actually part of the Singapore parliament offices !!!

Singapore
reviews: 5
7. Re: Help with hotel selection

Hi sirisha

The others have given you good information on the hotels.

In terms of vegetarian food, if you stay at Raffles the Plaza, there is a North Indian restaurant called Shahi Maharani at the Raffles City Shopping Centre which is connected to your hotel.

Also, Raffles City has other vegetarian options - things like soups and sandwiches etc.

Little India is also only a short cab away, and it has a huge number of Indian vegetarian restaurants.

Hope you have a good trip to Singapore.

Omaha
8. Re: Help with hotel selection

Thank to all for this information. You are all very kind. This will definately help me in making my booking. I am planning to switch to The Raffles - the Plaze from the Ritz just for convenience. It would be easy to go to zoo and the night safari. If I had people like you in Malaysia Forum also, it would have been excellent.

Anyway, thanks to all.

Omaha
9. Re: Help with hotel selection

Quick question. Does anyone know what there is to do in Sentosa Island? We have a free admission coupon? Is it worth going?

Thanks again.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Singapore
10. Re: Help with hotel selection

do you have any kids in your traveling party ? It is under renovation (and will be for quite a long period of time) so unless you have kids, I would say spend your time on the other attractions.