We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A week before chinese New year

Netherlands
A week before chinese New year

Dear Forum reader and experts,

We are planning to visit Singapore on Jan 21th 2006 ( a week before the chinese new year) Could anyone advise us whether this is a good date to travel , considering the hectic celebrations only a week ahead ?

another thing : we are going to book the hotel via SQ stopover program, I'm considering The Miramar or Holiday Inn/ Furama city centre, all hotels are situated in China town area...any suggestion ???

Thanks in advance

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Singapore
reviews: 57
11. Re: A week before chinese New year

oh, as for CNY goodies, I am not so good with them as I am only given some at work and when I visit friends, there are always a feast before I can get to the goodies ! But here goes :

1) melon seeds (red and black, the red ones are just too small to even try !)

2) candied fruits (like ginger best)

3) candies (some rabbit brand candy with paper wrapped around it that you can eat the paper)

4) crispy BBQ cuttlefish (kind of similar to Thai ones)

5) dried fruit (kam quat or something like that)

6) egg rolls (a very light pastry that is similar to the French's)

My memory is failing me so you have to ask the other experts like Checkers, OP and Alex.

Singapore
reviews: 7
12. Re: A week before chinese New year

my favourite list for CNY goodies.

1. pineapple tarts (buttery pastry with pineapple jamlike filling or topping)

2. love letters (rolled-up, cylinder shaped sweet thin crispy pastry)

3. Bah Gua (slices of BBQ sweet meat )

suggestion, take a walk down through chinatown and you'll get to sample all the goodies for free. to get what you want at great discount? join the mad crowd after midnight on CNY eve.

but for quality CNY goodies, i wld opt for bangawan solo. i still find them the most value for money.

oh! not forgetting, Yu-sheng!!

(fish slices served with shredded vegetables top with sourplum sauce)

you can easily find this at any seafood restaurant during that time. cheaper versions can be found at coffeeshop, which can just be as good.

Australia
13. Re: A week before chinese New year

Thanks all, I can't wait to enjoy!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Singapore
reviews: 57
14. Re: A week before chinese New year

ah yes, those things are called love letters (strange name isnt it for a pastry ? anyway, that comes with a very interesting story of its origin). Yes, those pineapple tarts are great ! What about those little sweet little stuff that looks like curry puff but filled with peanuts ?

Have a wonderful time snacking !

Singapore
15. Re: A week before chinese New year

Niah,

Give barbequed pork a try! its called Bar Kwa, and its basically reconstituted pork, barbequed in thin slices, and sold in red oily squares.

Also try some pork floss. it's brown and looks like candy floss, but made from pork somehow, no idea how THAT works.

All available from shops in Chinatown, normally the furnishings would be in yellow and red and the Bar Kwa would be displayed prominently, so you can't miss it!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
reviews: 39
16. Re: A week before chinese New year

hi de and liebetaube,

all this posting about CNY goodies is making me hungry....

I'll add to your list of goodies kueh bangkit - remember those white flour bicuits that melt in your mouth? mother-in-law makes some really fine and delicious ones.

will enjoy those and the pineapple tarts when we're in kl next CNY.