We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bringing in cigerettes from australia

australia
bringing in cigerettes from australia

hi, I am a bit confused about whether i am allowed to bring cigerettes purchased duty free in australia, into singapore, can anyone enlighten me!! Thanks!

Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 30
1. Re: bringing in cigerettes from australia

Hi there,

Sorry but there're no duty-free concessions on cigarettes for entering Singapore. They may be brought in only on payment of duty and GST at the customs checkpoint. However you're allowed to bring in one open pack of ciggies for your personal consumption.

Buy your cigarettes from the Singapore DFS shops on your way out though ... they're super duper cheap. At least much cheaper than what they cost at Australian DFS shops - less than S$20 for 200 sticks of Dunhill.

Glenlyon, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
reviews: 34
2. Re: bringing in cigerettes from australia

Always thought that stinks and it smacks more of a tight fisted attempt on the part of the government to increase revenue at its own airport. Hard to believe it is a health measure if they then sell the things at the airport. I mean that in itself prevents anyone transitting for a few days on the way to somewhere else from bringing in ciggies they have every intention of taking out.

Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 30
3. Re: bringing in cigerettes from australia

Well actually they can leave it with the customs people until the day they depart. The bottom line is to prevent Singaporeans from purchasing cheap cigarettes for their own consumption at home - deemed a health hazard.

You're otherwise basically free to do what you like so long as you're holding any other passports.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Macau, Hong Kong
4. Re: bringing in cigerettes from australia

May I just add, also chewing gum selling is ban in Singapore.

Singapore
reviews: 3
5. Re: bringing in cigerettes from australia

Nope.. It is not ban comsumg in SIN but you are not allowed to bring in large qty in or to sell.

And no littering of course ;)

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Macau, Hong Kong
6. Re: bringing in cigerettes from australia

Yep. one can chew, but chewing gum selling is banned in Singapore--frankly what about nicotine gum, are they sold on doctor's prescription in Singapore??

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Singapore
reviews: 57
7. Re: bringing in cigerettes from australia

u can get nicotine gum at any pharmacy in town (I had seen them in the stores so it cant be presciption based).

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
reviews: 118
8. Re: bringing in cigerettes from australia

When we were passing through and staying for a couple of days we took 4 packets of cigarettes to look after my wife's craving.

I went up to the customs official at the gate and told him we have two packets each to last us whilst we were in Sngapore for two days and he just waved us through.

Honesty is the best policy.

This country is not going to screw the legitimate tourist over a couple of packets of fags.

Be reasonable and logical and you'll be okay.

IF bring in a carton or two now thats a different matter...........

9. Re: bringing in cigerettes from australia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 pm, August 23, 2009