We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Star Cruise Virgo Singapore,Phuket and Penang Oct 2008

Manila
reviews: 40
Star Cruise Virgo Singapore,Phuket and Penang Oct 2008

Hello. My Mom and I with my niece are booked on the Superstar Virgo on Oct 26, 2008. The first trip of Virgo when she goes back to Singapore. I need advise on the shore excursions in Phuket and Penang. Which are the ones you would advise? We are just into shopping. Are its ports away from the shopping areas? Unlike when we docked in Halong Bay, no need for shore excursions since the market was already in the port. I hope that Penang and Phuket is the same.

I am planning to book Golden Landmark Hotel for a one night stay after the cruise. Shopping area and near MTR. Comments please.

Will just take MTR from airport to the Singapore Cruise Terminal via Harborfront MTR station ( is it walking distance to the cruise check in?) And then after the cruise MTR also to the hotel Bugis station. Is this a workable itinerary? I'm trying to save taxi, or taxi is cheaper since we are 3 pax anyway...

Please guide me, thanks.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
reviews: 9
1. Re: Star Cruise Virgo Singapore,Phuket and Penang Oct 2008

1) For the Penang shore excursion, join the "Shopping Tour".

2) For the Phuket shore excursion, join the "Shop- Till-You-Drop Tour".

Both tour will take you to different local places for shopping.

Golden Landmark is a fairly ok hotel for a short stay, moreover the hotel has been refurbished recently. The hotel's location is great. They are about 150 metres to the nearest MRT subway station. Shops and cafes all nearby.

Yes, it is easy to get from the GL hotel to HarbourFront Centre, vice versa. From hotel, walk to Bugis MRT Station, take the MRT in the direction towards Boon Lay, change for the NorthEast Line at Outram Park Station, take the train towards HarbourFront. At the exit, look for directions at the station to get to HarbourFront Centre. When you emerge from the underground at HarbourFront Centre, turn left and walk all the way towards the end of the building passing thru the many shops in the mall. Allow yourself 45-mins for the whole journey from GL Hotel to HarbourFront Centre. It doesn't take that long but I have factored in the waiting times for the trains and you are unfamiliar with the route.

Another option is to take Bus Svc#145 from the bus stop in front of Parkview Square. Parkview Square is diagonally from GL Hotel and is opposite Raffles Hospital along North Bridge Road. This bus goes direct to and pass by the HrabourFront Centre.

Manila
2. Re: Star Cruise Virgo Singapore,Phuket and Penang Oct 2008

thanks for your reply. Its a lot of help! We plan to drob by Vivo City for lunch before checking in the cruise. Is there a direct access inside Vivo city to the Cruise Terminal?

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
3. Re: Star Cruise Virgo Singapore,Phuket and Penang Oct 2008

Yes, both malls are linked on the 2nd Level (ie. South-Link Bridge and North-Link Bridge) as they belong to the same landlord.

singapore
4. Re: Star Cruise Virgo Singapore,Phuket and Penang Oct 2008

Hi ,can you guide me regarding the shore excursion at Phuket after alighting from star cruise. How much does it cost and how do we book it. We are taking star cuise for the first time and hence would like to know this

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
5. Re: Star Cruise Virgo Singapore,Phuket and Penang Oct 2008

Your going to Phuket and you want to take the shopping excision????/ Nooooo.... Unless you like nut factories and supermakets and earn the tour agent a nice commision on everything you spend and the factory shops. Do the Phang Nga Bay tours instead. In Penang shopping trip is better but I would do the island tour or Rickshaw ride instead.

Manila
6. Re: Star Cruise Virgo Singapore,Phuket and Penang Oct 2008

I just arrived from the Super Star Virgo Cruise from star cruises. We were on board Oct 26-29, 2008. Everything went well from our arrival from the Budget Terminal Airport to the Singapore Cruise Harbor via MRT. Upon checking in at the ship we were given lunch already even before sailing, unlike when I boarded from HKG last June our first meal was 3 hours after sailing. We booked all our shore excursions at the tour desk of the ship. Shore excursions range from $25-$79 Singapore Dollars depending on tour of your choice. From a full tour with lunch or just roundtrip transfers to the shopping center.

You can also choose to do the tours on your own which call free and easy. In Penang, you can hire taxi cab for you tour around the city and in Phuket, private cars are available for hire. The port is about 45 mins from the Patong Beach where most of the shopping and tourist area is located. It would cost you about 1,800 Baht to hire a vehicle to go around. Doing the tours on your own is advisable if you are a big family. Just make sure to be back on the time the ship has designated passengers to be back. The teens with me on this trip enjoyed the cruise and the activities on board. I do prefer the luggage collection after the cruise at the terminal that you can pick up your luggage right after the immigration, unlike in HKG luggage collection is located at the basement of the building.

perth
reviews: 4
7. Re: Star Cruise Virgo Singapore,Phuket and Penang Oct 2008

hi thanks for the advise on the day tours, are the taxi drivers and private cars, waiting for you when you get off the virgo, which would be the cheapest?

to hire a taxi or private car?

going to phuket , penang and kl i would like to see the main areas, like the twin towers, markets and the main part of phuket patong beach.

would it be better to go with an organised tour or do it on our own?

would we have enough time to do it on our own?

thnks for any advise

Manila
8. Re: Star Cruise Virgo Singapore,Phuket and Penang Oct 2008

To Shazz42.... i hope its not too late for my reply, but I would suggest that it would be best to just join the shore excursions that are available on the ship. Its very convenient to have an organized tour most specially if you are only 2 persons. Doing it on your own is best recommended if you are a group of 4 and above, it might be a little cheaper to do it that way.

Transportation for hire I think is available when you disembark the ship. Passengers who will be on their own, or what the call as free and easy on board will be allowed to disembark the ship after all the passenger who has availed of the shore excursions has already left the ship.

9. Re: Star Cruise Virgo Singapore,Phuket and Penang Oct 2008

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:15 pm, October 14, 2009