We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving Singapore on National Day - taxi problem ?

United Kingdom
reviews: 20
Arriving Singapore on National Day - taxi problem ?

We will be arriving at Changi Airport in the afternoon on 9th August 2008 which I believe is National Day in Singapore. Will we have problems getting a taxi from the airport to the Marina Mandarin Hotel? Thanks

Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 23
1. Re: Arriving Singapore on National Day - taxi problem ?

Hi jo,

Not to worry, Singapore has ample supplies of Taxis, Arport Shuttle (where you share a 9 seater coach with other passengers, fare is $9.00 per pax departs every 15mins.

Limousine Taxi, available at the airport too, at $45 per way percab.

The publis taxis available occassinally there can be a little but not too worry you're assured a cab with 15 to 20 minutes. If there's a queue.

Have a pleasant stay!

Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 29
2. Re: Arriving Singapore on National Day - taxi problem ?

Agree, should not be a problem - especially given your afternoon arrival - - most things are going on at night. Only difference for you is that you'll have to pay a small extra charge for being a national holiday.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
reviews: 9
3. Re: Arriving Singapore on National Day - taxi problem ?

Just everyone has mentioned, no problem with taxis from the airport as Singapore has more than sufficient taxis plying the roads. 9 Aug'08 being a saturday, the surcharge from Changi Airport will be additional S$5 on top of the meter fare.

There will be some road closures around the Marina Bay area which your hotel is located. But don't worry, the road in front of the hotel is open, the roads behind Marina Mandarin will be closed. There will also be large crowds around your hotel area before the Parade. If you are lucky to get a room that faces the city skyline and Marina Bay, I would suggest that you watch the festivities from your room.

United Kingdom
4. Re: Arriving Singapore on National Day - taxi problem ?

Thankyou everyone for all your answers. Does anybody know how much we should pay approx for a taxi from the airport to the marina mandarin?

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
reviews: 9
5. Re: Arriving Singapore on National Day - taxi problem ?

My estimation = S$14 to S$16 meter fare + S$5 Airport Surcharge + S$1 Public Holiday Surcharge + S$0.30 Fuel Surcharge.

I have to apologise for our complicated taxi surcharges. Honestly, I feel quite embarrass with our taxi system. Anyway, you can request for a printed receipt at the end of your journey. However, if you do encounter traffic delays due to road closures or diversions, your meter fare may be slightly higher.

Singapore
reviews: 1
6. Re: Arriving Singapore on National Day - taxi problem ?

i believe you'll see a sea of red upon arrival into Marina area. Swathes of Singaporeans will be out near where the National Day Parade will be held (floating platform which is just in front of Marina Mandarin Hotel).

I strongly suggest that you view the grand fireworks display at around 8pm. Your hotel provides on of the best view as it gives an unobstructed view of the pyro display. there's also other special things to see from the comfort of your hotel i guess, which includes a spectacular fighter jet display at around 645-715pm. so look to the skies.

there should not be a problem in reaching your hotel, i think no one in the right sense of mind will block off all connecting roads to a hotel. Even though most of the public roads will be cordoned off.

hope you'll enjoy your time here.

United Kingdom
7. Re: Arriving Singapore on National Day - taxi problem ?

Thanks for all your advice - really looking forward to visiting.

Singapore
8. Re: Arriving Singapore on National Day - taxi problem ?

With ref to the following message posted earlier by Kevin: "My estimation = S$14 to S$16 meter fare + S$5 Airport Surcharge + S$1 Public Holiday Surcharge + S$0.30 Fuel Surcharge."

I wish to explain that if you are hailing a cab in the afternoon (before 5pm) at the changi airport on a Sat, the surcharge will be $3, and not $5. The $5 surcharge is only applicable to Fridays to Sundays (5.00pm to 12 Midnight).

As for the estimation, pls be prepared to pay more if you hopped onto the cab after 5pm as there will be peak hour surcharge which will add 35% more to your total distance travelled.

In addition, there isnt any Public Holiday surcharge on National day. Kindly ignore the $1 charge.

This holiday surcharge is only applicable to the five major public holidays, New Year's Day, first and second of Chinese New Year, Hari Raya Puasa, Deepavali and Christmas Day.

Refer to this website for more info: cdgtaxi.com.sg/commuters_services_rates.mvn…

If you are not sure of the surcharges, print out the charges list found in the website and enjoy your trip! :)

Hope this helps.

9. Re: Arriving Singapore on National Day - taxi problem ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 am, October 01, 2009