We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Singapore MRT passes

Denver, CO
reviews: 25
Singapore MRT passes

I will be visiting Singapore this week from Denver CO. Is it possible to obtain a dayly or weekly pass for the MRT so that we don't have to purchase tickets every time we use it. Where can these be purchased?

Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 31
1. Re: Singapore MRT passes

Yes.

But there is no "unlimited" ticket.

You need to decide whether you want a "regular" ticket or a "Visitor's" ticket.

http://www.ezlink.com.sg/touristTips.htm

My own view is that if you are not planning to take advantage of the non-travel discounts that the visitor's ticket gives, then just get the regular ticket, which is a stored value card. You buy the card from any MRT station, including the one at the airport. Then you load it up with money; how much depends on how long you will be staying in Singapore. I advise you load up conservatively, because unlike similar tickets in other parts of the world, YOU WILL NOT GET A REFUND FOR UNUSED MONIES on the card. Yes, the system--not the card--is not good. I suggest you load about $5 for each day that you will be here, and if that runs out, then go to any station and load up more.

Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 30
2. Re: Singapore MRT passes

If I may add to alexiusp's reply, any unused portion of your card is refundable at the end of the day. Only the card cost of $5 will not be given back to you.

Singapore, Singapore
3. Re: Singapore MRT passes

Checkers, really? Can get back travel money (less card money)?

Why can't EZ link be more like Octopus in HK. So much more user friendly, and can get a full refund (if card has been used for longer than 3 months) or pay $9HKD (about S$2) for less than 3 months.

And they use Octopus for so many many more things than us...including car parking! Here? Sometimes cashcard, sometimes EZ linkcard, sometimes cash...arrrrgh!

But tourists need not worry! Only locals need worry.

Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 30
4. Re: Singapore MRT passes

Dear alexiusp,

Yup it's true ... otherwise people would have made a huge ruckus in the ST forum pages eons ago, don't you think so? I for one would have sent in at least 10 complaint letters to SMRT myself ;) ... Ha Ha! Typical Singaporean huh??

Then again, there had already been much hullabaloo when SMRT insisted that they're not gonna return us the $5 "card fee" for fear of the kiasu mentality apparently prevalent in us. So the company gets to keep that $5, the overcharged fares that remain unclaimed, the $1 refunds that many tourists didn't know they can obtain at the end of their journeys etc and then have the cheek to apply for a fare hike citing increased operational costs! Yah Yah ... yawnz zzzzz ....

But I do agree with you. It's the system that s***ks ... Big Time - with a capital "B"! Even the company admits it. And this cashless system just isn't gonna work with so many different types of cards going around. EZ-Link card for food (MacDonald's, Starbucks etc.) and public transport, Cashcards for ERP charges, carpark fees, library fines ... and hear this - they don't even take cash if you don't own a cashcard! Absolutely ridiculous!

Too bad huh? Seems like we just have to take all these nonsense for their own lousy marketing strategies and adversion to greater cooperation between themselves for the good of all "mankind".

Hey alexiusp, why don't you get this across to the Feedback Unit. For all you know, this may actually work! You go guy!

Singapore, Singapore
5. Re: Singapore MRT passes

i agree with you, and as you can tell, i am very frustrated with the ez link card system, esp since i saw with my own eyes how simple and easy HK's octopus card is integrated with so many other things in everyday life...

but we shouldn't complain here...gives tourists the wrong impression...