We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short list - Rendezvous, Golden Landmark, City Bayview

Ballan, Australia
reviews: 17
Short list - Rendezvous, Golden Landmark, City Bayview

Hi everyone,

So much help so far, but just a bit more please.

After our difficulties with trying to book Allson for Jan 08 it tried some other hotels and dates.

When I changed dates on some hotels from our Jan 08 dates to Aug or Sept 07 they were available but not out to 08. I'm guessing rooms not released this far in advance.

City BayView has been suggested by Checkers as a good alternative to Allson but I was concerned also about the bedbugs comment on City Bayview though other reviews good, and certainly in good spot for transport and food.

As we are qantas ffs here in Aus we have also looked at their site for hotel bookings in Singapore. Means we get ff points for $s spent on the hotel. As we are 2 couples travelling together and want 2 rooms for 8 nights ff points worthwhile.

Qantas has Rendezvous for $115 per night.

Qantas also has Allson at $111 per night and

Golden Landmark, 2 room choices including Deluxe room at $112 per night.

A little more than asiabesthotels but the qantas ff points are bonus for us.

We have narrowed down our choices to a short list of :

Rendezvous, or

Golden Landmark, or

try qantas for Allson, or

City Bayview (if qantas don't come through with above)

Rendezvous looks good to me so 1st pick at present.

Comments on choice appreciated from anyone knowing more about them.

regards

cthink.

singapore
reviews: 1
1. Re: Short list - Rendezvous, Golden Landmark, City Bayview

amongst all, rendezvous' location seems the best. in terms of its proximity to the mrt station and bus stops, it's the best and very centralised. it's about a 5 minute walk to Dhoby Gaut MRT station and there are tons of eateries that cater to nearby Singapore Management University's students around there. it's also near a big mall - plaza singapura which has a big supermarket on the basement and carrefour there too. i'd say go for rendezvous.

australia
2. Re: Short list - Rendezvous, Golden Landmark, City Bayview

Is the Rendezvous a good hotel for the money?

My husband and I are taking our mothers on a holiday for 4 nights in September and are booked into the Rendezvous.

Are the breakfasts goods as they are included in room price ?

Is the air con good as the mums will feel the heat

Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 30
3. Re: Short list - Rendezvous, Golden Landmark, City Bayview

Hi Cthink,

My vote goes to the Rendezvous too. If you can get it at that price, it's really an excellent deal!

The last time a colleague from Frankfurt came and was put up at the Rendezvous, she was absolutely thrilled (considering that she was given the Grand Mercure Roxy the last time she was here)! Only gripe she had though was that the rooms were a little too small.

As albk has highlighted, its location is prime. If the Rendezvous comes through, I'll say Go For It! ;-P

Good Luck!

Ballan, Australia
4. Re: Short list - Rendezvous, Golden Landmark, City Bayview

Hi Checkers and others,

Read your comments on other post about availability of accomodation, they echo what my husband's godfather (who lives in sing) has said about accommodation.

After reading that I decided I needed to book and am pleased to say I have confirmed accommodation.

Checked prices on qantas (airline website also does hotel bookings) for hotels and called them.

Phone booking same as on-line price. And they only took deposit with balance to be paid 30days prior to travel. Good for us when not travelling until Jan 08.

They could tell me availability and confirm bookings so we have gone withGolden Landmark, which has 8th night free which has worked out to $102 per night for their superior room. (that's $134 per night for 7 with 8th free)

The Rendezvous had same 8th night free deal but worked out to $115 per night.

Qantas did have Allson available but with no free night it was $108 per night.

Thank you for your advice and comments along the way.

Can now relax and think about the things I haven't done in previous trips to sing that I must do this time and Night Safari on top of list.

Also want to try the EastCoast Seafood centre I've see written about here.

January can't come soon enough!

Singapore, Singapore
5. Re: Short list - Rendezvous, Golden Landmark, City Bayview

Happy for you, Cthink!

Sunday can't come soon enough for me either ... on my way to Perth already. ;-P

Ballan, Australia
6. Re: Short list - Rendezvous, Golden Landmark, City Bayview

Hi Checkers,

Have a great time in Perth, hope you think about visiting our great south east side sometime soon too. Victoria's a great place!

cheers

Singapore, Singapore
7. Re: Short list - Rendezvous, Golden Landmark, City Bayview

Hi Cthink,

You don't know me. Hahaz!

Melbourne has always been one of my favourite Australian cities - and Adelaide is fast becoming one too. I must have been to Melbourne at least three times already and yup ... I gotta agree that Victoria is indeed a real nice place.

I work for a Japanese airline but I almost always use my concessional travel on Qantas - till my colleagues label me a "traitor" - 'coz I don't like to travel to Japan at all - whether for work or leisure.

Tasmania's next on my list - and then I think I probably would have consider Australia as "completed" i.e. I've visited all the places I wanna go to in Oz..

Anyway, enjoy your trip to Singapore! ;-P

singapore
reviews: 1
8. Re: Short list - Rendezvous, Golden Landmark, City Bayview

oh if you are going to the east coast seafood centre, go to jumbo seafood restaurant for their pepper crabs... absolutely yummy. they just did some renovation and i just love their crabs there. in fact, that's all i order when i'm there with my friends. both chilli crab and pepper crabs. and we choose the biggest crabs there which are usually the sri lankan ones. it's guaranteed to be a finger linkin' meal! ENJOY!!!

Ballan, Australia
9. Re: Short list - Rendezvous, Golden Landmark, City Bayview

thanks albk for the tip on seafood, tried chili crab on my first visit at Fatties (??) it was the first place my husband was taken by his godfather back in the 70s and we went back on my first visit in 2002.

Checkers, great to hear you love my home state :-)

We have friends in Hobart and love the old city area there. Also a great restaurant "the drunken admiral" for brilliant seafood right on the water front. Not to mention the cool climate wines from Tassie, particularly the Pinot Gris.

I'm sure it'll be on the favorites list too once you've been there.

Once again, thanks for the advice and help with accomodation.

cheers

Singapore, Singapore
10. Re: Short list - Rendezvous, Golden Landmark, City Bayview

Always a pleasure, Cthink (",) ... Pretty sure I'll need some help the next time I plan a trip to Tassie or even Melbourne again.

See you next Jan!