We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 Nights in Singapore want2Visit Sentosa

Which Sentosa Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
5 posts
2 Nights in Singapore want2Visit Sentosa

Hi Im going to begin my honeymoon next month (June) in Singapore and am staying close to Orchard road for 2 nights and hopefully getting one full day and two half days out of it.

Question is: I was planning to make a day trip to sentosa for the full day and make the most of it but will I be able to do that in a day? What would be the best places to squeeze into a full day - am attracted to nature side of things but a bit of fun with my new husband in the fun and entertainments zone seems cute too. is this doable in a day?

Any advice on this would be so helpful.

Second Question is:

Whats the best way to get from the city to Sentosa? Cost and time effective please??

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
5,031 posts
18 reviews
1. Re: 2 Nights in Singapore want2Visit Sentosa

I would say you need to decide whether you will try to do USS and then fit a few little extras on at the end, or if you want to try and do a selection of things outside USS. This is essentially because USS is a large amount of a day itself and a large entry fee so you do not want to waste that entry fee. The rest of Sentosa is entry paid for each attraction - or the PLay Pass IF and only if the selection suits you, don't be suckered into things you don't want to make the money out of an attractive sounding bundle's savings

The best way to make the decision is to know what there is, so find the USS, Resort World Sentosa and Sentosa's main websites and just see what is there. The whole island can occupy 3 days fairly easily for me and could fill more if you were going to do absolutely everything so whatever you select is basically going to be the main focus of the full day you have planned if you are going there - that means I wouldn't suggest trying to fit bits of Sentosa on the half days (presumably the day you arrive and the day you leave).

My personal preference would be to do a selection outside of USS. Reasons? Well - first as USS is fairly small, if I want theme parks I'd rather trip over to the US for Eurodisney from the UK where I am so USS drops down my list quite rapidly in favour of things Singaporean, second if you plan right you can fit in quite a lot of things to do, and third there's a wide variety of options including a few rides like the luge if you want a taste of the theme park. If you want to go somewhere for the evening you can and if you want to you could end up eating something at Malaysian Food Street and then watching the Crane Dance.

Best way to get there - it depends on a few things but bear in mind that cost and economy tend to be the polar ends of the spectrum in Singapore transport options the cheap options are the slowest usualy and the quickest option is usually the most expensive. That said even taxis (usually the fastest and most expensive option) are dirt cheap compared to UK taxis.

So getting there....first and foremost - do you want to go over by cable car, if so then you need to get a taxi to Mount Faber cable car statin at the Jewel Box and do the long run over to the island. I visit a lot so I tend not to use it because I've done it before a number of times but as a first time visitor its a decent way to go over for the frst time - you get some decent photos and a good look at the island as you approach - although its quite pricey at about 30SGD (15quid) per person for a return trip - although I only ever go one way.

If the cable car doesnt interest then the quickest way is by taxi, 10mins, 10SGD or so from most city centre hotels. The SAEX bus service probably isnt for you, as for 2 its the same cost as the taxi and slower and less flexible - cheapest way is the MRT under 2SGD per person to get to Harbourfront MRT and come up to the surface in VivoCity mall and then you can walk across the Boardwalk and pay 1SGD to get onto the island. You could use the monorail from Vivocity for 3.50SGD but at that point with the MRT you are into taxi cost territory - though its a nice ride but once on the island you can leave using the monorail for free so you can get the ride.

London, United...
5 posts
2. Re: 2 Nights in Singapore want2Visit Sentosa

Thank you so much for taking the time out to write such a helpful reply.

I'll skip out USS world, thinking of just going to the SEA Aquarium and then the nature sides, maybe a couple of rides as you suggested. Is Malaysia Food Street on Sentosa?

Lastly: Im a bit confused by the variety of options to travel..please could you advise meon what would be the best ways to get around and also any other advice at all on the following?

My intended plans were:

Day 1: Arrive at 11am, check in at hotel, find somewhere to eat and then go to the Singapore Zoo during the day, maybe do the river safari and stay for the night safari in the evening. find somehwere to eat again and head back to hotel.

Day 2: Sentosa - Aquarium, Nature side and some rides if possible to fit it in.

Day 3: Explore the City a little, some shopping - have to leave for Borneo 5pm flight.

Thank you so much

Earth
Level Contributor
303 posts
59 reviews
3. Re: 2 Nights in Singapore want2Visit Sentosa

Hi,

have you booked your hotel? if not, there's a 2D1N Staycation package at Resorts World Sentosa (RWS) - 1 night stay with breakfast for 2 and 2 tickets to the SEA aquarium from $408. rwsentosa.com/language/…Promotions

the aquarium is pretty cool you could spend alot of time there if you love sealife. after that, you could also walk up Festive walk to Imbiah station where there's the Merlion tower (nothing much there other than the big stone creature) but the walk down to the beach at the back of the Merlion is nice and you can spend the day at the beach. there's the history wax musuem if you're interested in singapore's colonial history and the WWII surrender. there are several places to eat in Sentosa at each beach area and RWS area. Hard Rock Hotel has a 1-for-1 happy hour from 6-9pm. the Malaysia Food Street is right next to the Universal Studio entrance - our family's favourite but do note that they close on wednesdays :)

if you're not staying in Sentosa, as tourists, you can take the FREE Universal Studio Singapore shuttle bus to RWS. just flash your passport. here's the schedule for the Orchard route:

www.rwsentosa.com/LinkClick.aspx…

rwsentosa.com/language/…HowtoGetHere

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
5,031 posts
18 reviews
4. Re: 2 Nights in Singapore want2Visit Sentosa

Malaysia Food Street is on Sentosa - its down by the Crane Dance/Boardwalk entrance area - I mentioned it because its convenient for the Crane Dance display.

Which bit of the travel is causing confusion - the general transport on SIngapore the options for getting on and off Sentosa.....

For general getting around you essentially have 2 main options - the first is taxi, its the quickest normally, its door to door and the most expensive - however a typical taxi run from the city centre to Sentosa would be around 10SGD - about 5GBP. The longest run a tourist might be likely to do is probably the run from hotel to the BirdPark, or the airport run - these top out in the most expensive peak periods at around 25SGD each way.

The second option is the MRT (their underground system) and bus system - this is cheap - the longest run will cost just over 2SGD per person, but it is slower in general particularly the buses. For Sentosa its still viable as it should take at most 30mins to get to the closest station to Sentosa (Harbourfront).

There is a tourist bus service, the SAEx service which does run to Sentosa, but at 5SGD per person it is less flexible than a taxi and the same price and takes longer. There are free shuttles but you have to stay near the route, you have to carry your passport with you for the day and you are locked to their timings along with everyone else using them. They go direct to to the island though.

Sentosa is more complicated - and if you fire up the Sentosa website you will be able to see the options in detail but getting onto the island falls into one of the standard methods.

1) Taxis can take you over directly, as do certain tourist buses (like the SAEx service I mentioned above)

2) You can get to VivoCity Mall and walk (the Boardwalk) for 1SGD

3) 3.50SGD lets you enter Sentosa using the Monorail system they have - again from the VivoCity mall

4) THere is a cable car ride from the top of nearby Mount Faber as well.

Once on the island there are several methods for getting around, again the Sentosa website goes into details - but in short you can use the monorail between Sentosa stations for free, there are 3 bus routes running round the island - again those buses are free, there are the beachfront trams that run along (guess where) the beach for free - or you can walk round.

Getting off the island - if you use a taxi or the cable car, those cost - but the monorail and boardwalk can be used to leave for free however you entered the island. Those last tow option take you off the island to the VivoCity mall where you then interface with regular public transport options (MRT station in the basement, taxis at the stand).

Edited: 3:27 am, May 30, 2013
5. Re: 2 Nights in Singapore want2Visit Sentosa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, June 01, 2014