We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

place to stay

Which Singapore hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
place to stay

Hi all,

We will be staying in Singapore from 25/12/06 to 29/12/06. We are a party of 4, made up of 2 couples. We would like somewhere close to Orchard Road (OR), if not on it. We want a reasonable price - $100 - $150 a night, but a decent hotel. If we pay more that's ok, but nothing above $250. Please confirm if price is per person or per night.

We've looked at a few - can we please have your advice on them:

Garden Hotel Singapore

Hotel 81 - Bencoolen

Peninsular Excelsior

Allson Hotel Singapore

Also, only because of location, can you please provide pros and cons on the following:

Singapore Marriott Hotel

Grand Hyatt Sing

Meritus Mandarin Sing

Hotel Pheonix Sing

Holiday Inn Parkview Sing

Marina Mandarin Sing

The Elizabeth

Thanks for your help!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Singapore
reviews: 57
1. Re: place to stay

of the hotels on the first category, I would go with Allson. I assumed u had categorized them in the two different group is coz of price and that u know the prices are for each hotel.

The hotels u had picked for group two has are different in prices so if I have a budget in mind for the quality u can get, I would go with Holiday Inn Parkview. It is a good hotel, very central for Orchard Road, close to Somerset MRT and lots of dining and shopping option.

Elizabeth is a hit and miss, Hotel Phoenix is not too far (across the road from Centerpoint, HIP is behind Centerpoint) from Holiday Inn Parkview but the quality is not as good as HIP. Meritus Mandarin is a decent hotel provided u get the newer rooms (pricier of course). Grand Hyatt is the most expensive in this group but really nice rooms (only thing is the service, it is not consistently good). Marriott is ok but for the price u r paying, u can get better deals.

The places to research on for prices (in order of preference) would be asiabeshotel.com, marimari.com or any others u prefer (eg. asiaroom.com, asiatravel.com, expedia etc)

If I am in your shoes, the one I would really consider (esp. as it is two couples) would be Novotel Clark Quay or Holiday Inn Park View. Another is Sheraton Towers (marimari.com has a darn good price for this good business class hotel, short walk to Scotts Road).

Here are some interesting activities for the Xmas period :

www.eventshub.sg/Default.aspx…

Good Luck

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Singapore
2. Re: place to stay

Btw, if u want a nice hotel within your budget, instead of the ones on your Group two list, look at Conrad.

Good Luck

NYC
reviews: 1
3. Re: place to stay

I am staying in the Sheraton now. Paying $220 SGD / night for a regular room. Got upgraded with Starwood membership...But, I'd NOT been happy paying $220 to stay here. Everything is just so-so. Food, room, view, bed, bath, gym(currently under-going remodeling), pool, location...all just so-so. If you don't stay in hotels in Asia often and are not picky, you will like the Sheraton. For me, I am moving to the Ritz next week. (Got a room for $200SGD). The view there is JUST SPECTACULAR! I can sit in front of the window and just stare all day. And the bath....the shower and bath overlooks the Singapore bay! There is nothing more amazing than rolling over in the morning to see the Singapore skyline light up from the sun - well, may be rolling over next to Jennifer Aniston will be slightly more amazing, but until that happens, I will stick with a room at the Ritz.

I walked by Marriott and Hyatt last night...both are good locations right above shopping centers. Not sure about the inside.

Australia
4. Re: place to stay

Thanks for that.

Anyone familiar with Bencoolan?? It's just that we're being told it's a newly refurbished (or a new building??) hotel and that it's a good price. I'm not too convinced myself...still.

I'll look into Holiday Inn Park and Allsons.

Australia
5. Re: place to stay

Are there any self-serviced apartments/motels that are decent?

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
reviews: 9
6. Re: place to stay

Perhaps you may like to try the various small boutique hotels around Chinatown area. Here are some links:

http://www.hotel1929.com/

about S$170 nett per nite includes breakfast

http://www.thescarlethotel.com/

about S$200 nett per nite

http://www.royalpeacockhotel.com/

about S$140 nett per nite for an executive room includes breakfast

Compare and find the best deals at these websites:

http://www.asiatravel.com/singapore.html

www.asiarooms.com/singapore/singapore.html

http://www.hotelclub.net

Avoid the hotels that you have listed in your 1st set. I do not recommended these unless you are really on a tight budget or backpacker. Singapore is very small, it is very convenient to get to the Orchard Road from Chinatown.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Taipei
reviews: 24
7. Re: place to stay

Check this Out:

(1) YMCA International house on Orchard Road (newly refurbished recently)

http://www.ymcaih.com.sg/accomodation.htm

(2) Rendezvous Hotel

Compare rates with www.asiabesthotel.com

Good Luck

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Singapore
8. Re: place to stay

Bencoolen has been updated (definitely not a new building) but remember, this is the budget hotel type, no faciltiies or amenities. Basic rooms and tile bathrooms.

It cant be compared to a hotel like Holiday Inn Park View, 2 totally different world/class.

Allson is not a bad hotel but again it is not the same category of hotel with HIP. If u want a fair comparison with Allson, try City Bayview or Furama (either City Center or Riverfront).

GOod Luck

PS. if u can get Qioment's price of S$200/nite, u should grab that at Ritz. Even the basic rooms here are nicer than Allson or City Bayview's better rooms. Ritz is not as glorious as it used to be but it is still better than most.

reviews: 18
9. Re: place to stay

I will rate the Sheraton as I always do, having stayed there 6 times and going for a 7th in Feb. Value for money you will not beat it especially if you up grade to their benefits package for £135.00 we get a poolside room, breakfast, laundry and free cocktails and nibbles for two adults and a 12 year old. I am sorry you can not beat that.

10. Re: place to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:23 am, August 15, 2009