We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

November visit, around 15yrs since last time.

Which Singapore hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brigg, United...
reviews: 2
November visit, around 15yrs since last time.

Hi all ....

I visited Singapore about 15 years ago for a few days and remember Sentosa cable car, Raffles, Clarke Quay, Jurong Bird Park, great food and very high humidity.

I will be back in a few weeks this time with my wife who has never been to Singapore before. We will be arriving on a Sunday lunchtime and will then have Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday full days to explore etc.

We are staying at the Park Hotel Clarke Quay.

I have compiled a list of things that we want to see and was wondering about the best use of our time regarding Sunday/queues, our hotel location/transport, food etc.....

Orchard & Botanical Gardens

Little India - Orchard Road

Bugis Market

Raffles

Chinatown - Lau Pa Sat

River Cruise

Marina Bay - gardens & light show

Chimjes - Lei Garden

National Museum

Cable - Sentosa

Eating - Maxwell Food Centre

Possibly Jurong Bird Park

thanks in advance to all

John (& Karen)

Edited: 2:26 pm, October 04, 2012
Singapore, Singapore
1. Re: November visit, around 15yrs since last time.

You seem to have covered most of the spots and Clarke Quay is relatively a good place to stay at. There is always something happening in the evenings. Deepavali (Festival of Lights) is happening on November 13, so for the month or so, there is a lot of buzz in the Little India district with lighting, festival bazaars and the Hindu temples are especially packed. You may wish to consider Gardens by the Bay too. May you enjoy your stay in Singapore.

http://www.gardensbythebay.com.sg

http://www.yoursingapore.com

ghettosingapore.com/top-10-things-to-do-in-s…

Brigg, United...
2. Re: November visit, around 15yrs since last time.

Thanks for the reply Johnny C, much appreciated.

I did put Marina Bay gardens on my list, looking forward to it.

rgds

J & K

Singapore, Singapore
3. Re: November visit, around 15yrs since last time.

Hi John R,

Singapore is very different from what it was 15 years ago. I suggest that you drop Lau Pa Sat. Nothing much there now. If you're going to Chinatown, I recommend that you eat at Maxwell Road market which is on the edge of Chinatown.

By the way, it's called Gardens by the Bay, not Marina Bay Gardens, in case someone gives you the wrong directions.

Night safari is also nice to visit. :)

Enjoy your stay in Singapore!

Singapore, Singapore
4. Re: November visit, around 15yrs since last time.

Hi,

Our MRT train system is quite good. It can get you to almost everywhere.

As for food, there's lots of food centres everywhere. You'll find that most food centres in shopping area sell the same variety of food. The food court in the basement of Ion Shopping Centre in Orchard Road has got quite a nice variety of food. Alight at Orchard MRT station for this shopping centre.

Unlike in Europe, all our shops and tourists attractions are opened every day till late at nite. So for Sunday, I suggest that you explore the vicinity of Clark Quay and Raffles city. After a long flight, you may not want to walk too far. Leave that for the weekdays when it is less crowded. ;) Don't forget the humidity here can make you feel more tired..

Brigg, United...
5. Re: November visit, around 15yrs since last time.

Great stuff, thanks PatnAndrew.

When I was last in Singapore I cannot remember anything being at Sentosa apart from the beach, I do seem to remember a lovely long cable ride to get there though.

Good idea regarding the Sunday as we will be tired and it will be very hot.

Looking at posts on here the beer prices have shot up since I was last there too .... !!!

Last time I had a Singapore sling at Raffles think it worked out at about 7 pounds sterling which was expensive at that time, believe it's double that now!

Really looking forward to our trip, I know my wife will love it ... especially the shops selling unique/unusual things.

rgds

John

Singapore, Singapore
6. Re: November visit, around 15yrs since last time.

Hi John,

You'll be surprised when you visit Sentosa. There's lots of fun activities there now.

Also, another interesting place to explore is Bussorah street and Arab street. The nearest MRT Station is Bugis station. About 15 mins walk away. There are some interesting shops there. Don't buy stuff at the first stop. Look around in other shops and bargain. :). Also, there are quite a number of good food around the vicinity.

Yes, the cost of living has certainly gone up. Unlike Europe, alcoholic drinks here are more expensive than water. Food is still reasonably cheap, unless you only enjoy dining in posh restaurants. :)

Cheers!

7. Re: November visit, around 15yrs since last time.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:19 pm, December 14, 2013