We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

gift giving idea

Which Singapore hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
MSP
gift giving idea

Hello,

I am visiting my girlfriend's family in Singapore for the first time. Can anyone suggest any gifts that I could bring to her family?

Asia
reviews: 41
1. Re: gift giving idea

Is she Chinese? Do they have any dietary restrictions? Allergies? e.g. if she's a Moslem, you shouldn't take anything, (like chocolates) that is not halal, etc...it depends on the family. Where are you from? Something from your country would be good - but then again, it depends on the family - open minded or traditional?

MSP
2. Re: gift giving idea

She is of Chinese ancestry and seem pretty modern.

Is there a particular color of wrapping paper I should use? I was reading about Singaporean custom and it mentioned wrapping gifts in particular colors.

Thanks. The family is very well off and I am from the U.S. and I don't want to offend them with a gift that wouldn't be appropriate.

Asia
reviews: 41
3. Re: gift giving idea

Hi,

Something from MN if are you from Minneapolis (as mentioned in another post?)? Are there any young children in the family? You could get a stuffed moose? Is it the moose that you find there? I forgot...I was there just a short for a while last year, but it was mainly to catch up with an old friend...thought there was a Moose thingy..?

If they are into jams, how about a nice organic fruity jam that uses berries from your area? A lot of Singaporeans are foodies, but it also depends on whether the family is more traditional or more open (read "western" minded). OR how about a a nice coffee table book - mainly filled with good photographs of places to visit from where you are from? To show them where you come from as well?

Red is always good for wrapping paper. Not black, no matter how chic, unless you know them a bit better, I think. Anything colourful. Some families also don't like white (not even beige nor white with a damask print), so to be safe, just go for red or colour.

4. Re: gift giving idea

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, February 26, 2010