We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Asian Spirit Flight Schedule Reliability

Which Boracay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne
Asian Spirit Flight Schedule Reliability

I have just booked flights for our Boracay trip next March. Does anyone know how reliable the Asian Spirit scheduled flights from Caticlan to Manila are? My son and I have to make an 11.00am connection to Hong Kong and plan to get a 7.20am Asian Spirit flight from Caticlan that morning. If the Asian Spirit flight does not run on time, we may have trouble making our connection. Are the Asian Spirit schedules normally reliable? I would be very grateful for any comments/advice.

Boracay Island...
reviews: 1
1. Re: Asian Spirit Flight Schedule Reliability

From what I have seen, domestic flight schedule reliability in the Philippines is generally poor. Domestic flight schedule reliability between Manila and Caticlan is specifically poor. It is common for an underbooked early flight to be cancelled and the passengers on that early flight delayed consolidated with passengers on a later flight. This has happened to me several times.

Having said that, I see that in 2007 Easter falls on 30 March. Holy Week, Boracay's heaviest super-peak tourism period (you will not believe the crowding) , falls in the week preceeding Easter. My guess is that Manila<->Caticlan flights during the last half of March 2007 will be fully booked long before the flight dates.

As an aside, I have a friend here who lives on Boracay most of the year and travels outside of the Philippines once a year. He always books his foreign travel on Philippine airlines and also books his connecting travel from Kalibo to Manila on Philippine Airlines -- the rationale for this being that (1) in the event that a delay in the domestic flight causes him to miss his connecting international flight on the same airline he would likely have an argument the airline might look after him during the period while he is in Manila trying to make a new international connection, and (2) if he does not miss the connection his connection is simplified because both the domestic and international terminals for Philippine Airlines in Manila are located in the same building. My friend usually flies out of Caticlan for domestic travel which does not involve an international connection.

Melbourne
2. Re: Asian Spirit Flight Schedule Reliability

Many thanks Boracay Bill for your input. Yes we have booked for two weeks with Holy Week falling right in the middle of our stay. I am unsure what to do now but it maybe that I will have to take a flight out of Caticlan the day before just to be sure. Also, you said that Holy Week is very very crowded - is it unbearably so - can you still get into restaurants, bars etc? My husband, two children and I will be travelling with 18 friends to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary.

Boracay Island...
reviews: 1
3. Re: Asian Spirit Flight Schedule Reliability

You ask whether Boracay is unbearably crowded during Holy Week. The answer depends on the likes and dislikes of you and your co-travelers.

During recent years, the past two or three years in particular, Boracay has become a domestic tourism destination of choice, particularly during Holy Week. During holy week, domestic tourists probably (my estimate) swell the population of Boracay by at least four or five times beyond normal peak-period crowds. It is sometimes necessary to queue for several hours in order to travel between Boracay and Caticlan. On Boracay, the area around the boat stations sometimes become impassible due to the density of the crowds awaiting transport. The domestic tourists are largely in a party mood and largely want to enjoy themselves in locally-popular pursuits. White Beach sprouts numerous competing hugely noisy sound systems operated by some beachfront bars. These operate until well after midnight, and attract huge and sometimes unruly crowds.

I have lived on Boracay for ten years and, for me, Holy Week on Boracay has become unbearable. For the past few years I have spent Holy Week and probably the week or two following it somewhere other than Boracay. My characterizations above of Boracay during Holy Week is based on what friends who rode the period out on Boracay have told me after my return and on accounts which I have seen during Holy Week periods in this and other similar forums.

Try searching in this forum for "Holy Week" using the "Search in:" search box on this page.

San Jose
4. Re: Asian Spirit Flight Schedule Reliability

We always fly free domestic with Philippine Airlines due to our international milage and have never had a problem.

boracay
reviews: 12
5. Re: Asian Spirit Flight Schedule Reliability

I agree with Bill - I find Holy Week almost unbearable in Boracay, especially in the central part of the island near station 2 where most of the crowds congregate. However, where I live at the southern end of White Beach it is a lot less crowded, so it it is still possible to find a relatively quiet spot.

6. Re: Asian Spirit Flight Schedule Reliability

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 am, August 19, 2009