We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning to take Open Water in Boracay

Which Boracay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manila
reviews: 23
Planning to take Open Water in Boracay

So I have done 2 discover scuba dive and the one in Boracay I love the most!! Now i am so hooked with diving and by January I want to take the course. I took my DSD at OceanPhil Dive , their office is near juice bar. but i am having a hard time looking for them online. anyone know the shop? If not can you tell me the best dive shop that can take care of me ? Thanks!

UK
reviews: 6
1. Re: Planning to take Open Water in Boracay

I dont know the answer to yor question, but i would consider diving elsewhere because Boracay is not the best for diving. If you do stick with Boracay, i can recommend aqualife divers academy. I did my open water there and they were fine, although it was a few years ago now.

I also suggest buying the open water before you do your training, so you can study it prior to your trip, so you can relax on your trip.

Good luck

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
reviews: 229
2. Re: Planning to take Open Water in Boracay

Go to Dumaguete.

Not only the dive is nice there but also one of the cheapest I have seen.

Edited: 3:52 am, September 28, 2013
Hong Kong
reviews: 85
3. Re: Planning to take Open Water in Boracay

Hello Asian_Chic

Boracay is a good place to get the Open Water course because the waters are shallow and calm. They are swimming-pool-like.

There are a lot of dive operators along White Beach. But I'd recommend one of the old hands at this business. Victory Divers is professional and safe. The owner, is a German fellow named Victor (naturally!) and he has competent (and licensed - very important) staff working with him.

This is their website http://www.victorydivers.com/

Be cautious because some shops in the tourist areas have been known to employ staff with sub-standard certifications to do the training and the intro dives (to cater to the sheer number of tourist divers) while the fully certified fellow sits at the bar drinking with his pals. Although this method of "sub-contracting" is usually not an issue, until an accident happens.

You could also do your Open Water course with Scuba World in Greenhills or Makati. They have the dive pools in both locations. Then for the check -out dive, you may opt for Anilao or Ligpo or Puerto Galera, where you will do at least 4 dives in the open water to test your skill set.

-Mark

Edited: 4:09 am, September 28, 2013
Oslo
reviews: 108
4. Re: Planning to take Open Water in Boracay

op said he wants to dive in Boracay, so why talk him out of it. And, he has not completed his course yet, so what is difference between Boracay or other places. AND....its the uniformed or those how have not dove much to say dont dive in Boracay, give me a break.

If you took the DSD, perhaps the same dive show will deduct that from the cost of the open water course.

We like Blue Mango.

Edited: 4:13 am, September 28, 2013
Oslo
reviews: 108
5. Re: Planning to take Open Water in Boracay

@CAPT MARK >>>Be cautious because some shops in the tourist areas have been known to employ staff with sub-standard certifications to do the training and the intro dives (to cater to the sheer number of tourist divers) while the fully certified fellow sits at the bar drinking with his pals. Although this method of "sub-contracting" is usually not an issue, until an accident happens.<<<<

SCARE TACTICS. Please provide info or dive shops that do this.

Didnt Victory Diver have a problem last year.

Hong Kong
reviews: 85
6. Re: Planning to take Open Water in Boracay

leftovertoo,

What scare tactics are you referring to?

I caution anyone who is getting into an activity that requires certification, licensing or regulation to check the credentials of the people and the company one is transacting with.

There are a lot of outfits on White Beach. I suggested Victory Divers, and you prefer another outfit. There is no contest here. These are plain recommendations. So if in the course of doing the research, the client discovers that Victory Divers had "a problem last year" then informed decisions can be made.

As someone who dives as a form of recreation, I am giving advice to someone who presumably knows little about the sport she is getting into, in hope of preventing a pitfall that other divers have experienced. Particularly the case of being taught/supervised by personnel who have earned certificates that are lower than what is legally required for that job of training a person to get an Open Water certificate.

Again, I ask, what scare tactics?

I do not appreciate the tone of your post.

-Mark

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
reviews: 184
7. Re: Planning to take Open Water in Boracay

PADI has a web site where you can check which diving outfit are accredited by the organization.

UK
reviews: 6
8. Re: Planning to take Open Water in Boracay

Please calm down fellas....This is how wars start!

Quezon City...
reviews: 56
9. Re: Planning to take Open Water in Boracay

If your in manila i think it would be easier to get certified in batangas much better dive sites. It would be easier to find reputable dive shops who can take care of you...or as mouse hunt suggests go to dumaguete ang get certified at apo island!!!

Quezon City...
reviews: 56
10. Re: Planning to take Open Water in Boracay

And i have to agree...go with scuba world in greenhills since your in manila. You can do check out in Anilao. At least with scuba world you won't be apprehensive about the qualifications