We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking.com does not charge taxes?

Which Boracay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
singapore
reviews: 5
Booking.com does not charge taxes?

Hi,

I've seen agoda and asiaroom websites excluding taxes from the prices of hotel they show you, then add it in in the final payment pay.

However, the price i see on booking.com eg $100, is the final price I see on the final payment page. I'm a bit skeptical, is booking.com hiding this tax and requiring me to pay this extra tax to the hotel itself? For this particular hotel, booking.com requires me to pay the hotel upfront..

Btw the hotel I want to book is actually alta vista boracay loft suite apartment @ 4000php a night, not the alta vista de boracay (which charges almost twice the price)

clare,ireland
1. Re: Booking.com does not charge taxes?

What does the price include?

All facilities listed in the room descriptions are included in the room price. To see the facilities, just click on the room name. You can see if breakfast or anything else, such as taxes, are included by moving your cursor over the text in the "Conditions" column. This information can also be found in your confirmation email and at My Booking.com.

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
reviews: 184
2. Re: Booking.com does not charge taxes?

Booking.com is very transparent with their hotel prices. Before you enter your credit card details it will display the total price. You will also be informed if your need to pay to the hotel a tax or service charge.

singapore
reviews: 5
3. Re: Booking.com does not charge taxes?

It Says I pay to the hotel but doesn't mention tax. So I'm just worried that when I reach they will tax on top of my final price

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
reviews: 240
4. Re: Booking.com does not charge taxes?

Which hotel is that you are interested in?

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
5. Re: Booking.com does not charge taxes?

It will display the amount that you should pay using your credit (for prepaid hotels) then if you enter your credit card details you will be charged that exact amount then all you have to do is present the voucher to the hotel and they will not charge you for your room, including taxes.

Puerto Princesa...
reviews: 85
6. Re: Booking.com does not charge taxes?

Well, I find when I do a dummy booking - "Not included in room price: 12 % VAT, 0.60 % city tax, 10 % service charge. "

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
7. Re: Booking.com does not charge taxes?

If it is a prepaid booking all the taxes and surcharges will be included in the amount that you will pay as you will not pay anymore when you check-in at the hotel. For bookings to be paid directly to the hotel, all the taxes and surcharges will be stated in the voucher that you will show to the hotel.

Oslo
reviews: 108
8. Re: Booking.com does not charge taxes?

some hotels clearly state, price, not includes tax.

Boracay Island...
reviews: 1
9. Re: Booking.com does not charge taxes?

Onecookiee asked, "is booking.com hiding this tax and requiring me to pay this extra tax to the hotel itself?", and later clarified, "It Says I pay to the hotel but doesn't mention tax. So I'm just worried that when I reach they will tax on top of my final price."

kegler747 said, "... all you have to do is present the voucher to the hotel and they will not charge you for your room, including taxes."

vetus wondered, "Well, I find when I do a dummy booking - 'Not included in room price: 12 % VAT, 0.60 % city tax, 10 % service charge.' "

kegler747 said, "... If it is a prepaid booking all the taxes and surcharges will be included in the amount that you will pay. ...:

leftovertoo said, "some hotels clearly state, price, not includes tax."

The questions seem to be, (1) "Is the (un-named) hotel likely to ask for additional payment to cover VAT or other taxes, service charges, etc. when I check out?" and (2) "What should I do if they do that?"

My answers to onecookiee's questions are: (1) Probably not, but it could happen. It would be a good idea to ask both the hotel and the booking agent for answers before paying money. If money has already been paid, you're probably better off not to rock the boat by asking questions. (2) You could (a) say, "No, I've paid in advance for everything" and just try to leave without paying anything additional (not easy if you've got a spouse and screaming kids with you, but could be entertaining if you're traveling alone and have a lot of time before you need to catch an airplane); (b) alternatively, or if option (a) doesn't seem to be working, you could try to negotiate; (c) just pay what they ask and badmouth both the hotel and the booking agent online afterwords. There are probably other options -- what would you do if you were confronting Basil Fawlty? If you pay up for additional charges, I don't think trying to recover the money is a viable option -- you'll just cause yourself stress and probably get an ulcer.

I think I'll have another beer.

Puerto Princesa...
reviews: 85
10. Re: Booking.com does not charge taxes?

Well said!