We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why is Langkawi struggling while Boracay appears to thrive?

Which Boracay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
reviews: 44
Why is Langkawi struggling while Boracay appears to thrive?

I have not been to Malaysia's Langkawi. But I just read a credible tourism industry article that indicated that the Malaysian govt. is launching a new campaign to shore up Langkawi as a destination. apparently many of its hotels are struggling and many establishments are closed. The article attributes this to Europe's woes. Why does Boracay appear to still manage to thrive under these circumstances but Langkawi is struggling?Any thoughts?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
reviews: 625
1. Re: Why is Langkawi struggling while Boracay appears to thrive?

Whilst I havent been to Langkawi what Ive read is the beaches there are not as beautiful as Boracay.

Tommo

boracay
reviews: 12
2. Re: Why is Langkawi struggling while Boracay appears to thrive?

"These circumstances". Which? How are the two destinations the same apart from being in the tropics and having nice beaches?

asia
reviews: 61
3. Re: Why is Langkawi struggling while Boracay appears to thrive?

Because it's more fun in the Philippines :-)

asia
reviews: 61
4. Re: Why is Langkawi struggling while Boracay appears to thrive?

Langkawi's target market is Europe and majority of it's accommodations are luxury accommodations. I think Boracay on the other hand has the bulk of its visitors coming from neighboring Asian countries combined with local visitors as well. So Boracay tourism is not directly affected by the European crisis.

Manila, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
reviews: 15
5. Re: Why is Langkawi struggling while Boracay appears to thrive?

No need to look at Boracay, just look at Thailand's beaches. They are always thriving!

boracay
reviews: 12
6. Re: Why is Langkawi struggling while Boracay appears to thrive?

In comparison, how easy is Langkawi to get to? Is it being marketed as much as Boracay? Bear in mind that ten years or so ago almost no one had heard of Boracay so it's relatively new on the tourist trail. Prior to that it was a backpacker haunt - no package tourists. Langkawi residents, don't wish the fate of Boracay on your lovely place. Use Boracay as an example of what NOT to do!

tredegar gwent
reviews: 33
7. Re: Why is Langkawi struggling while Boracay appears to thrive?

loved langkawi for what it is,, also loved boracay for what it is,,, two different types of "holidays" agree would,nt want langkawi to become another boracay,, people need places like langkawi, peaceful relaxing desination

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
reviews: 184
8. Re: Why is Langkawi struggling while Boracay appears to thrive?

I have been to Langkawi and my view is that in general beaches are not the strength of Malaysia. If ever you see TV ads of Tourism Malaysia the beaches that you will see there are the ones in the Sabah region and Pulau Tioman in western Malaysia. Langkawi is also being marketed as a nature adventure destination more than a beach destination.

I don't know if my observation is true but I guess it also has to do with the jellyfish infestation in Langkawi. I'm a regular visitor of the Malaysia forum here in TA and I always read concerns about jellyfish that many would be discouraged to swim.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
reviews: 625
9. Re: Why is Langkawi struggling while Boracay appears to thrive?

Its the same for the Penang Beaches in Malaysia-not recommended for swimming due to jellyfish.

Boracay is a great place to swim.

Tommo

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
reviews: 184
10. Re: Why is Langkawi struggling while Boracay appears to thrive?

I agree Tommo, besides the beaches in Penang are not clean so even Penang Destination Experts would discourage you to swim.