We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Commisions and commissionars

Which Boracay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane
reviews: 8
Commisions and commissionars

I found and interesting post about the problem in this forum.

http://forum.sawadee.com/viewtopic.php?t=1075

I am so happy, i will be in Bora the 2-9-05, see you there.

boracay
reviews: 12
1. Re: Commisions and commissionars

Interesting forum, and good advice. The local authorities should make sure that the commissioners are regulated and carry ID & permits. There should also be a tourist information desk at the jetty. I know of a funny incident where a commissioner followed a guy from the boat station to a resort, despite being told to get lost. He then tried to claim commisson from the woman on the desk, who turned out to be the Expat's wife. He owned the hotel!

boracay island
reviews: 1
2. Re: Commisions and commissionars

It seems that very few things like this are regulated in Boracay. The mayor is too busy accepting bribes from big developers to build unsightly hotels.

Boracay, Philippines
3. Re: Commisions and commissionars

It is not so much the mayor but it is the vice mayor and his clique of 'honorables" in the city council who are taking bribes.

City council is run by a bunch of donkeys who have absolutely no clue what tourism is all about; however they are well versed in counting cash.

Another one: yesterday the weather was so nice again that I decided to have picnic with my family. On my way to Ilig-Iligan beach, I was stopped by a group of locals. There was a barrier on the road and a big sign saying that the road is private and anynone should pay entrance fee. I was shocked to see even a rate for dumptrucks (as this not the way to the dumpside - this means they are creating another dumpsite in the unpopulated Yapak area).

How much of the fees goes to the vice mayor and his thieves? How can this be allowed? How long before pristine Yapak gets polluted?

I still do not understand.

boracay
reviews: 12
4. Re: Commisions and commissionars

What on earth is happening to the island? Someone needs to start regulating the local officials I think. They are free to do exactly as they please.