We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Review of custom island tour with Midnight Sun Tours

Which El Nido hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Shanghai, Shanghai...
reviews: 1
Review of custom island tour with Midnight Sun Tours

If you're heading to El Nido, you'll probably join in on boat tours to the many beautiful islands in Bacuit Archipelago. No doubt there are plenty of boat operators that are willing to provide their services, but my recent experience with Ilde Dalumpines and his Midnight Sun Tours was terrific.

My wife and I met Ilde (ill-dee) as we walked into town from the Golden Monkey Hotel. He offered us a private tour for a price that was no more than what we expected to pay to join a group of strangers. As he and his family prepared the boat, he was very happy to talk about his life in the Philippines. He is a pastor who has lived in El Nido for 26 years, and although he’s also offered tours for many years, only within the past year was he able to afford a replacement boat after a typhoon ruined his other boats several years back.

Having a private tour was very nice (we snorkeled near Matinloc Island). As other tour groups clustered around popular beaches and sites, we were able to mostly avoid them by just moving along without having to run it by other tour members. But really, it was Ilde’s kindness and helpfulness following this tour that impressed me.

My wife and I were entertaining the thought of sleeping on a deserted beach, away from everyone. When we mentioned this, Ilde told us he could offer us a tent and everything we would need to camp. He arranged for a kayak, and he even offered to purchase any groceries we requested.

When the day of our departure arrived, and I was worried that our plans were in jeopardy because my wife had a cut on her foot that was getting infected. Without hesitation, Ilde loaned me his quirky old motorbike so I could ride her to the clinic in town. I was able to buzz back and forth around town as we scrambled to keep our plans. And I’m very fortunate we did, as our night on the deserted beach was unforgettable.

Ilde took us to a small but spectacular beach and was helped by his wife, his son Clark, and his nephew Mark. They all took care of setting up camp and they even prepared us a meal before they departed (they seemed concerned that we planned on living off peanut butter and banana sandwiches for a day). Ilde even loaned us a cell phone so we could still keep contact!

I highly recommend you seek Ilde out if you would like to meet a kind man who provides custom trips, excellent service, and speaks terrific English for an affordable price. He runs his service out of his home, which is a short and pleasant walk out of El Nido town. He said not many tourists stumble across his business by accident, so here’s a map and a picture of his home.

…photobucket.com/albums/…MidnightSunLoc.jpg

Ilde says he checks his emails a couple of times a week. You can reach him here: ptr.ilde_utrpcc@yahoo.com

And here are a couple of other favorable reviews:

translate.google.com/translate…

…blogspot.com/2011/06/return-to-philippines.…

If you have any questions, feel free to drop me a line.

~ Troy

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
reviews: 625
1. Re: Review of custom island tour with Midnight Sun Tours

Troy

Thanks for sharing. Great photos and this is very helpful for those wishing to visit El Nido.

Tommo

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
reviews: 229
2. Re: Review of custom island tour with Midnight Sun Tours

Very nice pictures especially the sunset view. Envy!!!

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
reviews: 184
3. Re: Review of custom island tour with Midnight Sun Tours

Nice photos. I hope to see you more often here in the forums ;-)

Edited: 11:38 pm, October 20, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
reviews: 1,160
4. Re: Review of custom island tour with Midnight Sun Tours

I have asked TA to list Midnight Sun Tours as an 'attraction.'

This can take two or three weeks (it seems much slower for TA staff to accept listings for attractions, rather than hotels or restaurants) but when it comes through, I would be greatful if the original poster could kindly post a formal TA review.

Most TA users go to the attraction listings, not the fora, if they want to find out what to do in a particular locality.

Edited: 6:07 pm, October 21, 2011
Shanghai, Shanghai...
5. Re: Review of custom island tour with Midnight Sun Tours

Terrific! Thank you, I tried to list Midnight Sun as a "thing to do", but attraction sounds more appropriate. I will be checking back to see when it comes through and will be happy to leave a review.

Singapore, Singapore
6. Re: Review of custom island tour with Midnight Sun Tours

hi there,

vy comprehensive review.how much do u pay for the custom made tour with midnight sun tours.

Shanghai, Shanghai...
7. Re: Review of custom island tour with Midnight Sun Tours

Hi, honestly I don't remember the price right now. At the time though, I saw prices in town for group day tours and the private tour through Ilde was about the same price, but was just for myself and my wife. You can email Ilde and compare his prices to that of the Art Cafe, for example. Of course, the custom pricing will vary depending on just what you want.

-Troy

Singapore, Singapore
8. Re: Review of custom island tour with Midnight Sun Tours

does artcafe have a website? thanks

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
reviews: 229
9. Re: Review of custom island tour with Midnight Sun Tours

http://tinyurl.com/6ueuzc2

Cheltenham, United...
reviews: 9
10. Re: Review of custom island tour with Midnight Sun Tours

We did two tours A and C, C is way better the son Jason took us. He went well out of way to show us what we wanted to see (good coral) and what we didn't (i.e. other tour boats.). Brillant job he did too.

Word of advice on directions for the unitiated on how to find the house where the family live and run the tours from. Walk along the el nido beach to the east (to the right), just keep going round the point, past the cemetery until you get to the community run village.

They are the 3rd house on the right. Opposite the 'coconuts for sale' stand that has a sign "midnight sun el nido island tours".

Another big plus of getting a tour away from the main beach is you do not get stung the 200 pesos 'tourist eco-tax' from some seedy looking official.

Also please encourage Jason to stock cold beer on your boat it will make you trip 10 times more enjoyable! Ditto to stop using an anchor that destroys the coral and moor onto a block of concrete.