We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

El Nido Resorts - Miniloc or Lagen Island ?

Which El Nido hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
UK
El Nido Resorts - Miniloc or Lagen Island ?

Going to be working in Manila for 4 weeks in April and then hoping my husband can fly out and join me a break at the end

Wanting somewhere that's quiet, peaceful, a bit of luxury and a mixture of things to do - El Nido looks good but can't decide between Miniloc or Lagen - which is best ?

Manila, Philippines
reviews: 13
1. Re: El Nido Resorts - Miniloc or Lagen Island ?

If its luxury, peace and quiet you're looking for, then Lagen would be your perfect choice! If you can, request for a water cottage on the left side (if you are facing the resort). This is a bit far, but you'll avoid the occasional (but bever disturbing) noise from the activity (departure and arrival) of guests from their pier/receiving area. Though I always prefer the right side since its close to the pier. :p

The forest rooms arent bad either! Its also peaceful, without the sound the water and wind breezing through the cove though.

You can check out other Miniloc and Lagen posts in the forums by searching for the key words in the Palawan forum search.

In the meantime, it might be best if you contact them already and check their room availability. I hope their contact number on my celphone is still correct - Tel. No. : +(632) 894-5644, or you can check out their website. I remember they have an inquiry page there too.

UK
2. Re: El Nido Resorts - Miniloc or Lagen Island ?

Thanks - after reading some more posts thought that Lagen was looking the best option - however I've just found out they don't have the availability we're looking for !!!

Still keen on Palawan - would you recommend any other places that are similar to Lagen ?

Manila, Philippines
reviews: 10
3. Re: El Nido Resorts - Miniloc or Lagen Island ?

Dos Palmas in Puerto Princesa might be another option. You can google Dos Palmas to get their website.

They also have 10 water cottages and several garden cottages.

Manila, Philippines
4. Re: El Nido Resorts - Miniloc or Lagen Island ?

Well, after Lagen, Miniloc is the second best resort in the El Nido area.

If you're open to Puerto Princesa, Dos Palmas is an option also like what mioz mentioned above. Was there last December. However, they are undergoing renovations now and I'm not sure if they'll be open by the time of your travel. They also have water cottages too. The big difference between El Nido and Dos Palmas however can be summed up in two statements: 1) Dos Palmas is more accessible, and is open to "day tours", meaning there is more traffic of tourists. It is easily accessible with several flights daily via Puerto Princesa with Philippine Airlines, Cebu Pacific, Air Philippines, and Seair servicing the route. Dos Palmas is still relatively expensive, but is the cheaper one among the bigger resorts in Palawan. 2) The Miniloc and Lagen resorts are more expensive, and you get what you pay for. Nothing beats the natural beauty of El Nido with the lagoons, limestone cliffs, and other attractions of Bacuit Bay. Only two airlines use the small airstrip of El Nido - Seair and Interisland Transvoyager. For our El Nido trips, we always use the latter, using 18 seater planes, departing from their own hangar in Manila, making the trip a bit less hassle free from the start since you don't have to go through the crowds in the Domestic airport.

I do hope you get accomodations for Miniloc, or if not, but if it is still possible, ask to be waitlisted for both resorts.

Manila, Philippines
5. Re: El Nido Resorts - Miniloc or Lagen Island ?

If chances are slim for a room in Lagen or Miniloc, check out Dos Palmas (+632 6374226) if renovations and repairs are complete by the time of your trip.

Another resort to check out is Club Noah Isabelle (http://www.clubnoah.com.ph/), which is a similar sized resort in a different part of Palawan.

Last note: One may think Palawan is just a small place, judging from its "size" in the Philippine map, and think that one can stay in one place and travel to other parts in a breeze. Not! So if it is your first time to go to Palawan, choose your area wisely. If you want to see El Nido, choose an El Nido Resort, and not stay anywhere and consider the option of land transfers as you wouldnt want to spend hours of travelling to your destination unless you're backpacking throughout the province or travelling on a really tight budget. If you just want a simple vacation in a beach resort, go for Club Noah or Dos Palmas for a similarly relaxing and beautiful vacation, minus the El Nido attractions. But that doesnt mean that the other places arent that beautiful in their own right.

Makati, Philippines
reviews: 51
6. Re: El Nido Resorts - Miniloc or Lagen Island ?

If its luxury you want, then its hands down LAGEN.

Our family is a big fan of Miniloc since were more of the going around the desserted beach types and were not too big on TVs and stuff. Miniloc is quite closer to the secret lagoon, big and small lagoons and other locations. At least, were not lump together with the other guest, unlike in Lagen, which is further down, but it is luxurious.

There is another resort, though a bit new age and purely vegetarian called Malacapano (not sure of the spelling though) but heard that smoking and alcholic beverage is a no no.

Club Noah and Dos Palmas on opposite ends of Palawan, as mentioned by Impulse Traveller, are worth looking at (one is at the northern tip while the other is nearer to Puerto Princesa, the provincial capital)

Enjoy!

UK
7. Re: El Nido Resorts - Miniloc or Lagen Island ?

Everyone's so helpful this is fantastic ! Thank you all so much

Club Noah does look good - but Dos Palmas isn't open until April - which if it finishes then that would be an option - but if its late .....

What about Club Paradise ?

In the meantime have managed to get a couple of nights at Lagen - yeah ! - but need to sort out the rest of the trip

Manila, Philippines
8. Re: El Nido Resorts - Miniloc or Lagen Island ?

After doing the rounds of Palawan resorts with the family, the only resort we never went to for a second holiday was Club Paradise, which we visited sometime in 2000. Though I do mention it in some posts as an option, I guess given the other resorts I would put in as a fourth or fifth. We were just not that impressed with the facilities, etc., though I loved the dives and snorkelling and of course a memorable visit to Calauit Safari. But with the resort itself, well, I heard they have upgraded a bit, so might give it another try soon. Another resort in Coron, El Rio Y Mar, is also managed by the same people who runs Club Paradise. Last time I checked they have cheaper rates, but then again we were a bit apprehensive.

Congratulations on getting several nights in Lagen! You can do a combination of Miniloc then Lagen resorts also; it will come out less expensive too but still getting to use and experience the things offered to the guests of either resorts ! :)

manila
reviews: 1
9. Re: El Nido Resorts - Miniloc or Lagen Island ?

what about club noah isabelle? anyone stayed there? i want to compare it with el nido resorts before booking for my honeymoon..

10. Re: El Nido Resorts - Miniloc or Lagen Island ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 pm, August 28, 2009