We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cost of living in the philippines

Which Philippines hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
tel aviv
cost of living in the philippines

Hi every body

me and my girlfriend, both of us from israel, are thinking of living half of the year in the Philippines and the rest of the year in india and israel.

our main problem is budget so i want to consult with you about your general estimation of the budget we need for living for 6 months only in one place in the Philippines without going to travel evry few weeks.

what we are planning is to rent a small house in a nice villige near a nice beach (for about 6 months) and to cook most of our food (only going to local resturants 1-2 times a week) so we wouldn't spend much.

off course i am not expecting a very accurate estimation but only a general one so i can get a rough idea about the amount of money we need

for example, few years ago I rented a house in a Chinese village for a few months and it got to be a very plesent and cheep adventure

looking forward for your responds

avishay and keren

Denver, Colorado
reviews: 71
11. Re: cost of living in the philippines

avishay, I just sent you PM with costs, but India is definitely less expensive, and you can rent something for 5000php to 10,000php and up, depending on where you intend to be

Negros Island...
Destination Expert
for Bacolod, Negros Island
reviews: 83
12. Re: cost of living in the philippines

Just as an example for living expenses in Dumaguete area.

I have a friend who rents out his beach house, 3 rooms and 4 bath, furnished with a big garden and beautiful view of Cebu for 10000 pesos. This is in Dumaguete area. Electricity is exclusive. Water is around 100+ pesos.

Food depends on whether you go for local fare or want cheese, ham, bread...then it would cost higher.

Denver, Colorado
reviews: 71
13. Re: cost of living in the philippines

sole, can you PM me where your friends house is, I assume must be up in sibulan/ san jose area if you can see cebu. I have a freind who is looking for something like that for a few months

Negros Island...
Destination Expert
14. Re: cost of living in the philippines

Phoenix,

...Good I havent erased the email notification. I just reply to pm's.

Mousehunt,

...Forgot to ask you about the essentials. I need more tutorial. ;)

Puerto Princesa...
reviews: 93
15. Re: cost of living in the philippines

@avishay y - perhaps this will help :-

numbeo.com/LivingCost/…

Baguio, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
reviews: 238
16. Re: cost of living in the philippines

Hi,

As a rough estimate, keep 15,000 pesos for monthly rent, 5,000 pesos for food, 10,000 pesos for other expenses.

Exchange rate 41 pesos = 1 US$

I have lived in China India and the Phils. Philippines is more expensive than India and cheaper / similar in costs to China, especially for food.

For example -

Milk....

Philippines = 60 pesos per liter

India = 25 rupees per liter

China milk too is expensive sicne it is msotly inmported from Aus (like Phils)

Eating out - meal at a restaurant... (I am NOT talking about streetfood!)

Phils = 200 pesos per head = 5 usd

India - 70 rupees per head = 1.5 usd

China = 30 Yuan = 4 usd

When choosign the place, I would suggest you toru the country for a month - you will easily be able to make out the differenc between the people (which matters a lot when you ish to live in a place for long) and then decide where you wish to settle for 6 months.

I personally have found places with lesser tourists to be far better. The islands in Visayas and Mindanao are more beautiful.

Avoid Luzon - too much bad foreigner influence here. Ditto for Alona beach Bohol.

If I had my go, I would choose....

Apo island, Siquijor, Samal...

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
reviews: 267
17. Re: cost of living in the philippines

I would choose Visayas to stay. Negros Island would be one of my choices.

Also, do not stay in the city. Stay in the province where possible.

As Clare has mentioned, you need to renew your visa every 2 months and you will need to purchase a return ticket that is within your first 30 days of your arrival. This means that at the check-in counter of the airport you are departing to Philippines, you will need to show a return ticket that is within 30 days of your arrival. If you manage to get a 59 day visa before your trip, then you will need to have a return ticket that is within 59 days.

I think there is a Visa center in Boracay. Staying in Negros, you can slowly make your way to Boracay by boat and bus.

Negros Island...
Destination Expert
18. Re: cost of living in the philippines

There are also immigration offices in Bacolod and Dumaguete for visa extension services. And yes Negros has lower cost of living than other places.

Dumaguete is also a good base to visit Cebu, Siquijor, Bohol, CDO, Dipolog etc...Has nightlife and also a mall if you need a bit of a break.