We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Daughter's 7th birthday whilst in Kyoto

Bucks
reviews: 18
Daughter's 7th birthday whilst in Kyoto

We are having our first family holiday to Japan (Tokyo/ Hakone/ Kyoto and then maybe somewhere coastal as yet undetermined) and our youngest daughter turns 7 whilst we are in Kyoto. I've been looking for some ideas about where we could go on the day to celebrate, as I'm not sure another temple will do! We are quite happy to travel around and we have two other daughters, ages 13 & 11. Good options outcome would be something like a river trip, I'm sure I've seen mention of rapids somewhere. Or something related to Geisha's maybe - the whole dressing up/ make up experience.

Any suggestions will be very gratefully received!

6 replies to this topic
London, United...
reviews: 449
1. Re: Daughter's 7th birthday whilst in Kyoto

Dress up in Kimono would be exotic and good idea for your daughters. Must be a good experience! Please check the below for your considerations. I am sure you can find many options by searching for more.

http://www.yumeyakata.com/english/

Oz
2. Re: Daughter's 7th birthday whilst in Kyoto

Also recommend this maiko makeover... my daughter loved it!!

http://www.yumekoubou.info/english/

reviews: 28
3. Re: Daughter's 7th birthday whilst in Kyoto

don't know if sitting still for a long time, being painted up & having hair pulled back is much fun for a 7 yr old. I'm guesssing you'd want all your girls to participate? Note that costs start at around ¥10,000 per child just for make-up & photos. (going outside for a walk is extra.)

I'd probably go on the Sagano Train, or the Hoso river boat or even make a trip to Kaiyukan Aquarium in Osaka, an hour away.

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 3
4. Re: Daughter's 7th birthday whilst in Kyoto

Or:

- one of the activities at the Kyoto Handicraft like folding fan painting Centre kyotohandicraftcenter.com/en-ya/…sou (not sure how good their English is, but probably you can find online reviews of these activities)

- a sweet making class at one of the English Speaking cooking studio's like Kyoto Uzuki,

- maybe something will be going on at the Manga Museum kyotomm.jp/english/…kyotomagic2014eng.php

- visiting Arashiyama monkey park

- Hosogawa boat experience http://www.hozugawakudari.jp/en/history-en

- Visit to the Kyoto Tower

Have a nice trip!

reviews: 19
5. Re: Daughter's 7th birthday whilst in Kyoto

See tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g298564-d3…

I've never been there, but you might be able to tell from the reviews if it would be appealing to your children.

Bucks
reviews: 18
6. Re: Daughter's 7th birthday whilst in Kyoto

Thanks for all the replies - I think we'll definitely be looking at Yume Koubou as an option.

Reply to: Daughter's 7th birthday whilst in Kyoto
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted