We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Admission prices - Borobudur & Prembanan

Which Yogyakarta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 12
Admission prices - Borobudur & Prembanan

Hi all.

I find in Wikitravel that the entry charges for Borobudur and Prembanan are 20 USD and 18 USD per head for non indonesians. Can some one confirm that?

This is a sizable amount for me in view of travelling with a large party so I would appreciate if any pointers could be given to me regarding if there are any way around this ( discount tickets / half day tickets etc)

Asia
reviews: 24
1. Re: Admission prices - Borobudur & Prembanan

Hello anujvelu,

yes, those figures are correct. Unless you are a KITAS holder you will have to pay that amount, unfortunately. As far as I am aware there is no way around it. There is one price regardless how long you plan to stay to visit those temples.

Q

Singapore, Singapore
2. Re: Admission prices - Borobudur & Prembanan

Thanks Q for the feedback.

Will just have to account this into my budget. The price does seems a bit ridiculous considering how cheap the rest of the city is.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Jakarta
reviews: 79
3. Re: Admission prices - Borobudur & Prembanan

<< The price does seems a bit ridiculous considering how cheap the rest of the city is.>>

Well, it's well justified that foreigner need to fork more money to visit attractions; just like in Singapore...

Singapore, Singapore
4. Re: Admission prices - Borobudur & Prembanan

Hey Cirque.

Actually in SIngapore there are no different rates for different nationalities. The only rates that change are for kids, adults and senior citizens. This is the same case in practically any developed country. That said, I am originally from India and we have a similar fees structure there and even on the India forums that is a sore point with the visitors.

Some years back I remember that the fees for visiting the Taj was 70 Rs for locals and about 700 ( 15 USD ) for other nations. Probably is lot more now.

So while I can get the rationale behind the differences, it does pinch when exposed to the other side of the sharp end.

Adelaide
reviews: 11
5. Re: Admission prices - Borobudur & Prembanan

Can anyone please advise the price for Indonesians to visit? I am going next week with 2 friends from Bali. I will budget $38 for myself (both temples) and it would be good to know how much my friends will need to pay.

Thankyou

Asia
reviews: 24
6. Re: Admission prices - Borobudur & Prembanan

Hello Sara. The entrance fee for locals visiting Borobudur is 30,000 Rupiahs. For Prambanan it should not be more than that.

Q

Jakarta, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Malang, Yogyakarta
reviews: 54
7. Re: Admission prices - Borobudur & Prembanan

Borobudur and Prambanan both cost IDR 30,000 for local tourists.

Huntington Beach...
reviews: 26
8. Re: Admission prices - Borobudur & Prembanan

Foreign tourists pay more on all UNESCO Heritage sites in all countries. For example, the Taj Mahal entrance costs about 50 Indian rupees for Indians and 750 rupees for foreigners. One way to minimize the expense is to schedule to see both monuments on the same day and buy one combined ticket, good for both sites, rather than two separate tickets. Start early in the morning to pull this off.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Jakarta
reviews: 79
9. Re: Admission prices - Borobudur & Prembanan

Hi anujvelu,

<<Actually in SIngapore there are no different rates for different nationalities. >>

You clearly never been to Gardens by the Bay, Artscience Museum at Marina Bay Sands, even local museums operated by government in Singapore, etc...

Singapore, Singapore
10. Re: Admission prices - Borobudur & Prembanan

@cirque - I stay in Singapore. I am not a Singaporean. I have been to local museums. Not been to Gardens by the bay yet.

Regardless, this (subject of diffrential pricing) is besides the subject and not something I want to go into.

BTW, I did finish my trip to Jogja and borobudur and as a feedback, the tickets are 18 US and 20 US for the temples of Prambanan and Borobudur. For the temple of Prambanan, my 3 yr old daughter was not charged, but was charged 95,000 at Borobudur.

In Borobudur, if you buy the tickets through your hotel, you can get them for 10,000 IDR cheaper.

Cheers all!