We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help on Itinerary

Which Yogyakarta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Help on Itinerary

Hi,

I'm visiting yogya from oct 3 - 8.

There are three of us and we would like to at least visit borobudur, Prambanan and Dieng Plateau.

may i know how best to work out an itinerary for this trip?

Jakarta, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Jakarta
reviews: 77
1. Re: Help on Itinerary

Hi,

since you have lots of free time, you can allocate at least one day for each attraction. A day trip to Borobudur and Dieng is required. While for Prambanan, you can combine with city tour of Yogya due to close proximity to the city.

Salatiga, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Java
reviews: 50
2. Re: Help on Itinerary

Hi,

I would say a day is long for only Borobudur. You do not need to go for the sunrise, but it is advisable to go early so as to avoid the heat of day (and the crowds). After seeing Borobudur itself, you can also visit nearby Mendut and Pawon temples. By then it may be noon. To make the return journey to Yogya more interesting, ask your driver to:

(1) Make a detour by Kaliurang and Kaliadem for viewing Merapi and cold lava field; OR

(2) Make a longer detour by Ketep Pass to see Merapi from the north; OR

(3) Drive to the lookout Suroloyo to see Borobudur from above, see: members.virtualtourist.com/m/p/m/181057/

Prambanan is closer to Yogya, but deserves a whole day. You can buy a combined ticket for Prambanan and Ratu Boko ancient palace compound. Or you can visit one or more smaller temples in the neighbourhood. Make it a long day and have dinner at Kali Opak restaurant among bamboo groves on the river bank (members.virtualtourist.com/m/p/m/1fe3f0/). And attend a Ramayana ballet performance from 7:30 to 9:30pm (daily Oct 4 thru 8). See: members.virtualtourist.com/m/c8969/12745d/

For Dieng count on a long day (three hours one way). Or stay over at Wonosobo or Dieng village and rise early for the sunrise at Sikunir mountain, better than the sunrise at Borobudur: members.virtualtourist.com/m/p/m/18026e/

Enjoy the trip,

Theo

Kuantan, Malaysia
reviews: 10
3. Re: Help on Itinerary

Make sure to hit Prambanan at late afternoon.. they close at 5.30.. then have tea at nearby stalls or buy some ole-ole(gifts).. bargain Yogya's t-shirt at 7s for IDR100k sizes s,m and l.. for XL they go a bit higher... but i managed to get 5 xl n 2 l for 100k.. 40 keychain for 40k.. get ur camera ready for prambanan sunset.. after dat go to the west gate and have buffet dinner there.. if im not mistaken it was 70k per pax.. after dinner watch the Ramayana show.. at this time they'll turn the spot lights towards the Prambanan temples.. a breathtaking view..

as you head to Borobudur, u probably stop by at Mendut and Pawon temple, just a reminder that the ticket can be reused in d same day.. i mean if u bought ur ticket in Mendut temple entrance, u can still use it for Pawon temple.. need not buy another one..

Happy Holiday Kevin...

Hi Cirque, i just got back from my Indonesia holiday.. as promised, il post my trip report as soon as iv recovered fully..haha.. evrything hurts especially my legs.. anyway, it was a wonderful holiday n im happy to get all those advice from u guys here in TA.. Thank You..

4. Re: Help on Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, September 20, 2013