We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

yogyakarta

Which Yogyakarta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
singapore
yogyakarta

Is it best to hire a taxi or a private car/van for 6 people for the tours? we are also looking at getting a tour guide, is that the best way to go? or can we see borobudur, prambanan by ourselves? thanks

Jakarta, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Jakarta
reviews: 79
1. Re: yogyakarta

If you prefer to do Borobudur and Prambanan tour in one day for 6 of you, the best deal is to hire a car with driver. Some company has driver which doubles as a guide too. You can check out some listings on the internet, such as Yogyes www.yogyes.com/en/yogyakarta-car-rental/

Jakarta, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Malang, Yogyakarta
reviews: 54
2. Re: yogyakarta

Private car with driver will be more suitable. If you need a guide to tell you the detail of Borobudur and Prambanan, there are guides available in the ticket office of Borobudur and Prambanan.

singapore
3. Re: yogyakarta

thanks. I was also looking at booking the tours thru travle agents do u reckon thats better? Coz im a bit skeptical abt drivers/tour guides - with my experience in bali they took me to see batik weaving, jewelry shops and all these places that turn out to be tourist traps. Coz im

not sure if i only need the tour guide in the temples then the rest of the day i can do it on my own. Thanks again

Jakarta, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Jakarta
4. Re: yogyakarta

Other than travel agent listings provided on Yogyes, you can find others on the net, such as:

http://www.rebecca-tours.com/tourprogram.php

http://pusaka-indonesia.com/

I don't think you need travel guide to navigate around Yogyakarta. You can do research online of the place you want to visit, plan your own itinerary. There are lots of ideas, including Travel Guide and previous forum posts. Just spend more time to browse the internet.

You can provide the list of the place you want to visit to the driver and therefore he only drives you there and you can tell your folks about all the info that you've gathered from the internet.

Joining a group tour will gain similar experience; you will be brought to some weaving place, or restaurants that are frequented by tour groups, etc...

You can create your own itinerary, we can help you to fine tune it. But if you don't want the hassle, just contact any travel agent (of course money-wise, this will be more expensive than my suggestion above)

Jakarta, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Malang, Yogyakarta
reviews: 54
5. Re: yogyakarta

Here's the trick to avoid being brought to tourist traps: tip your driver before you started the journey (tell him it's for his "lunch"), and tell him that you only want to go to Borobudur and Prambanan and that you don't want him to bring you anywhere else because you won't by anything anyway. You can also ask your hotel concierge to tell what you want to the driver in Bahasa Indonesia.

singapore
6. Re: yogyakarta

thanks. since i will be in yogja only for 1. 5 days, was looking at doing all borobudur, prambanan, kraton , imogiri, water castle, malioboro - dont really know how far one place is from the other so i dont know if we can cover it for the 1.5 days. Any other place that you recommend we should go to/skip? thanks again

Jakarta, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Jakarta
7. Re: yogyakarta

Borobudur, Prambanan, and Imogiri are all out of town. Imogiri is to the south of the city, Prambanan is to the northeast while Borobudur is to the northwest (the farthest since it is located on different regency).

The other place; Keraton, Taman Sari (water castle), and Malioboro are all in the city center, all are within short ride away.

Visit this interactive map, so that you can imagine how far is each place from another. http://www.yogyes.com/en/yogyakarta-map/

Since most of the places are open on daytime only, I suggest to drop one of either Borobudur, Prambanan, or Imogiri.

For 1.5 days, you can do such itinerary:

Day 1: if you got full day, start the morning to explore Keraton and Water Castle, if you go on certain days, there will be a cultural shows going on a Keraton (starts at 10am, different show on different day, e.g. Saturdays is shadow puppet show and gamelan music performance). After lunch, head to either Borobudur/Prambanan/Imogiri until they close at around 5pm. Afternoon you can stroll along lively Malioboro area.

Day 2: in the morning, visit one of either Borobudur/Prambanan/Imogiri. Tips: Prambanan is close to Yogyakarta airport, good alternative as a morning trip before heading to the airport.

Edited: 9:22 am, May 30, 2010
singapore
8. Re: yogyakarta

since i am staying at sheraton mustika, will i be pretty close to prambanan already? we are getting in at 12nn and was thinking of doing the prambanan on that afternoon. im not sure what else i can do during that afternoon since you mentioned imogir is on the south. then the next day will be borobudur, keraton, water castle and malioboro. my flight the following day leaves at 7 am so we wont get to do anything on that day anymore.

Edited: 10:26 am, May 30, 2010
Jakarta, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Jakarta
9. Re: yogyakarta

Yup, your plan sounds good to me.

Sheraton Mustika is just away from the airport, and also quite near to Prambanan compared to other attractions outside the city.

Tips: if you're interested to catch Ramayana Ballet Show, there will be night performance on Prambanan complex starts at 7.30pm (selected dates apply).

Other than that, similar show is available nightly at Purawisata, across the Keraton. Watching the show can be an alternative to spend your evening, other than that, you can enjoying the hotel facilities, dine out, or stroll along Malioboro or other shopping center in the evening.

singapore
10. Re: yogyakarta

Hey its me again - sorry. I cant seem to

find any entrance ticket rates for borobudur and prambanan. I did some

research and some its USD 15, some say its

USD 12 but when i go to prambananpark.com, it says

entrance fee n.a. Would u know where i can find the official ticket prices? And Does one ticket cover all parks?