We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Menteng Prada vs Aston Marina (Ancol)

Which Jakarta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cape Town
Menteng Prada vs Aston Marina (Ancol)

Hi

I've read reviews on both these hotels/apartments, but I found good and bad reviews for both that confuse me. Could anyone please give their honest opinion in which one would be better for first time travellers to Indonesia? We're planning on visiting Thousand Islands as well and don't have any expectations except to experience the culture. It would be great to be close to shopping venues, and we might take a plane to Makassar as well. Kindly advise which of these two would be better suited location-wise.

Travel dates are between May & June 2014.

Thank you in advance : )

P.S we are also budget conscious

Edited: 1:39 pm, August 25, 2013
Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore
reviews: 79
1. Re: Menteng Prada vs Aston Marina (Ancol)

Zulfas, hi and welcome to TA

1/ JKT is not a toursity place, people come here for business matters or visit relatives. From you post i understand you`d like to shop and go to Pulau Seribu, that`s all?????

2/ the accommodation suggestion depends on your budget/ room/ night and your purpose of visit. Please specify both???? Menteng Prada or Aston Marina (Ancol) are BOTH wrong, poorly located and not an option at all for the first timers.

3/ <<We're planning on visiting Thousand Islands as well and don't have any expectations except to experience the culture.>>

In Pulau seribiu you`ll experience not Indonesian culture, but Indonesian rusty nails, torn and broken planks on the pier and THAT`s all.

All islands right now are in appalling condition, they frequently changed owners during recent years and none of the new hosts payed attention to renovate or at least support a proper maintenance of island facilities.

In conjunction with the fact that they all HUGELY overprices ( expect smth like 200USD/ person/ night) it`s complete waste of time, and effort.

Cape Town
2. Re: Menteng Prada vs Aston Marina (Ancol)

Thank you for your reply. I plan on visiting Tiger Island (Pulau Macan). Is that also badly maintained?

Which hotel would you recommend I stay the first time? I don't want to only shop... I want to see the culture and people.

Thanks

St. Gallen...
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung
reviews: 51
3. Re: Menteng Prada vs Aston Marina (Ancol)

Jakarta is not really the place to see culture and people.. Unless you are interested to observe how people shop in the malls.. :p

Go to places like Jogjakarta, the culture is very strong there..

I have not been to Pulau Macan, so no comment.. but the best place for first time travelling, you should stay in places at jln Wahid Hasyim, jln Sabang.. Jln Thamrin..

Cheers

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore
reviews: 79
4. Re: Menteng Prada vs Aston Marina (Ancol)

1/ <<Unless you are interested to observe how people shop in the malls.. :p>>

LOL, Stefzzz... so true!

2/ <<I plan on visiting Tiger Island (Pulau Macan).>>

The reviews on TA are not that bad, however the property IMO is on the basic side, so are the facilities/ accommodation quality etc. Prices on the contrary - PREMIUM. The worst side of all Pulau Seribu things - if you are THERE and you do not like the things around you, you`re unhappy with the sleeping conditions, food, sea condition etc - you have no path of retreat, you can not simply turn your back and depart - you are on the smallish island in the middle of the ocean and the next boat to mainland will be tomorrow.................

5. Re: Menteng Prada vs Aston Marina (Ancol)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, August 28, 2014