We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to Jakarta for a workshop

Which Jakarta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cairo, Egypt
Going to Jakarta for a workshop

I have one day upon my arrival to Jakarta 18 June off What do you suggest I should do ?

every day after I will finish at 5 PM for for 3 days. I am a fan of shopping handy crafts for the house hand made items paintings. Indonesian hand made stuff. If I want to buy good material for a dress can you tell me from where. I am staying at the Sari Pan pacific hotel

What is a famous thing do you buy from Indonesia to show when you go back to your country in the middle east

Jakarta, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Jakarta
reviews: 79
1. Re: Going to Jakarta for a workshop

Hello,

For handicraft shopping, head to these places which is just short distance to your hotel:

1. Sarinah Department store (walking distance)

Jakarta's first modern shopping mall provide a whole floor of handicraft items from all over Indonesia. the other floor housing batik collection.

2. Alun-Alun at Grand Indonesia (10-mins taxi ride)

Selling mixed of Indonesian handicraft, local designer creation, and furniture items.

What to buy:

1. Batik clothing

"batik" is an art of painting on the cloths and Java is famous for its batik creation. Each region has its own distinct motifs. The highly prized batik is the handpainted one (which can have price tags up to millions), but there are also printed batik which are mass-produced and very cheap.

2. Wooden carving

This can comes in many forms; from statues, dining ware, wall carving, etc

3. Hand puppet (wayang)

Another collectible items from Java culture, there are 2 main types: wooden hand puppet (wayang golek) from West Java and leather hand puppet (wayang kulit) from Central Java. These puppets are used in puppet show which is still popular in Java and there are various characters which you can purchase.

4. Others: beads work is from Kalimantan island, Sumatra island is famous for its Malay roots and symbolizes in songket cloths, pearls from Lesser Sunda (but don't buy it in Jakarta), among many others crafts from other parts of Indonesia.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore
reviews: 80
2. Re: Going to Jakarta for a workshop

heba k,

(a small *thanks* a the bottom of your post might be nice too)

Jakarta, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Jakarta
reviews: 79
3. Re: Going to Jakarta for a workshop

Don't worry, both places that I mentioned above opens from 10am to 10pm daily. Thus, you can always head there after you finish the workshop at 5pm.

Edited: 12:54 am, June 07, 2012
4. Re: Going to Jakarta for a workshop

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:41 pm, June 20, 2013