We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bali Travel to Jakarta

Which Jakarta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Stockton-on-Tees...
Bali Travel to Jakarta

I'm looking to travel from Bali to Jakarta and probably back again but I don't particularly want to fly. Can anyone advise another route or tell me about their experiences of travelling this route? Bus? Boat?

Thanks

Jakarta, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Jakarta
reviews: 79
1. Re: Bali Travel to Jakarta

One sentence to sum land travel from Jakarta to Bali: wasting your time. It's probably a good thing to do if you're having 1 full month to explore Java and Bali or maybe stopping over for few days in few cities along the road. Otherwise, save your money and take plane instead.

You may take train from Jakarta to Surabaya (executive class seat available), but from Surabaya, it's still a long trip to go to Bali (at least prepare 1 full day for this only). Whilst it's not worth the hassle (and not comfortable at all), the alternative is to fly from Surabaya to Bali (but airplane ticket won't come that cheap either)

Edited: 5:31 am, October 28, 2011
Java, Indonesia
reviews: 4
2. Re: Bali Travel to Jakarta

You can fly one way, then travel by train across Java. 7 days will just about allow you to visit the highlights including Jogja , Bromo, and Bandung.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Malang, Yogyakarta
reviews: 54
3. Re: Bali Travel to Jakarta

There's executive bus direct from Denpasar to Jakarta, which saves you the hassle of changing to different modes of transportation. Mind you that it will be 22 hours journey! Plane is the best mode of transport, but if you really want to experience it, check on Safari Dharma Raya bus company (www.safaridharmaraya.com).

Book ticket in advance to avoid being hassled by touts. Ticket touts in Ubung bus terminal in Denpasar are among the meanest in Indonesia. And be very careful with your belongings.

The ticket office address in Denpasar is: Ruko Niti Mandala, Jl. Raya Puputan, Denpasar No. 2-3 (0361) 231206, (0361) 24572.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore
reviews: 80
4. Re: Bali Travel to Jakarta

Yevsy,

I have to pint out that Bali and Java are two DIFFERENT islands, and even having in mind the fact that the connection between them theoretically exists, airplane is THE MOST reliable, swift, money-wise and simply the best ( civilized) way to cross the water.

Stockton-on-Tees...
5. Re: Bali Travel to Jakarta

thanks very much for all your help. i don't have a time frame which is why i'd like to travel by land and experience a few different places along the way, particularly badung and jogya. are there any other 'must see' places on Java?

Jakarta, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Jakarta
reviews: 79
6. Re: Bali Travel to Jakarta

A lot! Java cities have many things on offer, mainly it's divided into 3 big parts; east, central, and west and few other special administrative districts and I could say between these, each has difference in culture, food, language, etc... Very interesting if you are into culture and stuff.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore
reviews: 80
7. Re: Bali Travel to Jakarta

<<'must see' places on Java?>>

Just google them.......................and see what you`ll have as a result!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sydney australia
reviews: 106
8. Re: Bali Travel to Jakarta

Borobudor just out of Yogyakarta - maybe fly to Yogya from Bali then take a train to Jakarta

Jakarta, Indonesia
reviews: 30
9. Re: Bali Travel to Jakarta

found this java-bali volcanoes trip on internet. maybe you should try it.. intersting alternative to explore java to bali overlook the volcanoes landscapes

volcanodiscovery.com/java/volcano-trekking.h…

you should take a flght to jakarta from bali, but the trip will deliver you from jakarta to bali by land trip...

Jakarta, Indonesia
reviews: 30
10. Re: Bali Travel to Jakarta

by bus, from bali, when you arrive in east java, go to surabaya/malang, then to bromo.. when you are in java central, you can choose northern path (semarang) or southern (yogya)... in west java best to go to bandung, and if you have more time, you can pass puncak and bogor then to jakarta... or from bandung take tollway directly to jakarta.

if you take train, take a bus from bali to surabaya. and take a train from surabaya to jakarta.