We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Be careful with Jakarta Airport

Which Jakarta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mexico City
reviews: 143
Be careful with Jakarta Airport

I arrived from Indonesia two weeks ago. We made a transit stop while travelling from Singapore to Banjarmasin (Kalimantan). We were told that Jakarta migration process will take a lot of time and that we need more than 2 hours between our flights, so our flight was schedule to arrive at 15:05 (actually it arrived at 15:35) and our next flight will depart at 18:35. That was 3 hours between flights. We almost loose our flight. The migration process for the visa on arrival is very simple in theory. You first have to pay it in a window and then make a queue for the visa stamp. The first problem is that for the visa payment there is no queue, you just push and fight for it. However is quite fast. But the queue for the visas stamp is another story. The queue was around 60m (200ft) long. Our first 2 or 3 meters took about 1hr. In that time we saw several persons from the migration or airport staff moving around the people. They were there supposely to help organizing, but the true is that they were making the contrary. Then we saw people paying to them (corruption) and suddenly they were bypassing the whole queue.

After that first hour, those persons from the staff disapeer and misteriusly the queue began to move quite fast, about 45 to 1 hour for the remaining 50 something meters. We also saw people paying the migration officers, when they have some problems with their documents. The whole process of arriving, visa stamp, luggage pick up and running to the next flight counter took about 2:15hrs. Fortunately, our next flight was delayed for 45min, so we arrived on time.

So really plan with a lot of time for this process or get your visa in advance with the extra cost.

It was really a very stressing and not a nicely welcome to that wonderful country, Indonesia.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore
reviews: 79
1. Re: Be careful with Jakarta Airport

kartikmexico,

Sorry to hear about your negative experience in CGK. All you said IS true - bribes, corruption, disorganization, small number of working passport corridors ( WHEN on earth the immigration will care to install MORE booths??????). Unfortunately even if we officially complain about the airport situation every single day of our life NOTHING is changed.

So............sad and frustrating.........( glad you did not miss your flight and arrived safely to your destination).

Jakarta, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Jakarta
reviews: 77
2. Re: Be careful with Jakarta Airport

Allow me to view this on different perspective...

1. Visa-on-arrival: yes, it is a shame that they don't provide proper queue line. However, the airport is scheduled for major renovation (will be done in few phases), so hope the airport operator could provide better location for Visa-on-Arrival (I personally think the existing visa on arrival counter is just like a snack cart that you see in shopping mall corridor). There should be a better layout.

2. Immigration (where you get the passport stamp): sometimes, it's the visitor who's causing problem (e.g. problem from previous visit, etc) and make the line stand still for a period of time.

3. In regards to your comment, "So really plan with a lot of time for this process or get your visa in advance with the extra cost." I really recommend those who's travelling on business to get his/her visa processed beforehand at nearest Indonesian consulate/embassy. However, the cost will roughly be the same unless you're seeking for different type of visa (e.g. multiple entry visa). The Visa-on-arrival is a single entry visa.

St. Gallen...
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung
reviews: 51
3. Re: Be careful with Jakarta Airport

While it doesn't happen very often, these very few unfortunate events tarnishes the reputation of our country.. Hope this doesn't happen again!

Jakarta
Destination Expert
4. Re: Be careful with Jakarta Airport

<<<Hope this doesn't happen again!>>

On the contrary, Stefzzz, it will happen AGAIN, AGAIN an d AGAIN........ ( corruption and disorganization is NOT an event of a moment).

St. Gallen...
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung
5. Re: Be careful with Jakarta Airport

<<On the contrary, Stefzzz, it will happen AGAIN, AGAIN an d AGAIN........ >>

Hate to say that you are right.. Really shameful to see this happening over again.. :(

Jakarta
Destination Expert
6. Re: Be careful with Jakarta Airport

<<Hate to say that you are right.. >>

Hope you hate NOT ME...............lol

Australia
reviews: 1
7. Re: Be careful with Jakarta Airport

Hi,

I am so sorry to read about your bad experience at Jakarta Airport with what appears to be Blatant Corruption.

Such a shame, but I hope it does not taint your overall experience of Indonesia which is just such a Wonderful Country with fantastic people who always make my trips so enjoyable.

I can't wait to get back there - hopefully next year.

Pamela

Doha, Qatar
reviews: 90
8. Re: Be careful with Jakarta Airport

Hello Pamela,

I noticed that you have posted many valuable messages about Indonesia and certainly you have contributed a lot to the travelers. We congratulate you, your effort is superb.

We are Turkish and live in Doha. We plan to visit Indonesia in coming October. Unfortunately, we could not decide yet for all hotel booking and tours because of some unreliable sources. We need to have some practical and trustworthy advices from you without taking your time much. When you will have time, could you please contact with us?

Thank you, Regards,

Natali & Fatih Ermihan

fatihermihan@gmail.com

fermihan@yahoo.com

St. Gallen...
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung
9. Re: Be careful with Jakarta Airport

Hey.. Seems that there is a TA newbie here..

<<We need to have some practical and trustworthy advices from you without taking your time much. When you will have time, could you please contact with us?>>

Hey, please specify your interest.. Are you keen on history, culture, beaches, food or shopping?? everyone has different and it is important to specify your purpose.. So we can lead you in the right direction..

this website is a good start if you want to know more about tourism in Indonesia..

http://www.wikitravel.org

<<Unfortunately, we could not decide yet for all hotel booking and tours because of some unreliable sources.>>

If people offer you services on the forum or people contact you directly by email.. except for big companies that everyone knows.. they are all scams and unreliable..

Edited: 2:59 am, August 09, 2011
Doha, Qatar
reviews: 90
10. Re: Be careful with Jakarta Airport

Hello Stef

Thank you for advises. We have started to read Indonesia 2 months ago. We also decided what to do. We just wanted to get some confirmation regarding the hotels, tours and tourism agencies.

You wrote "we can lead.."....who you are?

Thanks