We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Jakarta - Yogja - Surabaya -Banyuwangi

Wellington
reviews: 39
Train from Jakarta - Yogja - Surabaya -Banyuwangi

I'm travelling by train in Java, doing this trip over about a week starting 8 September. I was just looking for some advice about finding a way to o book train travel in advance, given how busy it is likely to be at this time with Idul Fitri? Or will things be quieter by then, and I can take the risk of flying into Jakarta on the 8th and booking ahead then?

Jakarta, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Jakarta
reviews: 77
1. Re: Train from Jakarta - Yogja - Surabaya -Banyuwangi

As a rule of thumb, 1 week prior and after Idul Fitri is usually the super peak season for travel within Java island. However looking at this year's calendar, I would estimate that everyone will be going back to office on September 5, 2011 which means that the weekend after that should be a normal weekend.

As a foreigner, the best way is to book the tickets once you're in Indonesia by walk in to the train station. Therefore, it is best to allocate first few days (1-2 days) in Jakarta to settle all the train trip.

Wellington
2. Re: Train from Jakarta - Yogja - Surabaya -Banyuwangi

Thanks, think I will need to explore advance booking, as I fly in from Vietnam to Jakarta on the evening of the 7th, and need to catch the train to Yogja the next day. I then have four days in Yogja so can organise the rest from there. Is this something I could ask my Jakarta hotel to do for me, do you think?

Jakarta, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Jakarta
3. Re: Train from Jakarta - Yogja - Surabaya -Banyuwangi

It depends what hotel is it. If let's say the hotel has concierge on which you can ask help from, then feel free to make arrangement with them. But if it's like Ibis or similar; I don't think they can arrange for you.

Advance booking for foreigners for train trip is only available from travel agent or if the hotel can arrange one for you.

Java, Indonesia
reviews: 4
4. Re: Train from Jakarta - Yogja - Surabaya -Banyuwangi

A good travel agent should be able to pre book your tickets, and have them sent to you at your hotel for a fee.

Outside weekends and Fridays, it is definetely possible to buy tickets for the evening departures on the same morning.

Good luck. Remember to unpack your sweater. It is very cold on the night trains.

Wellington
5. Re: Train from Jakarta - Yogja - Surabaya -Banyuwangi

Thanks, have found a couple of travel agents and emailed them, will see what comes back. I understand the overnight trains do not have sleepers so will aim to take a day train and see some scenery. Thanks again.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Jakarta
6. Re: Train from Jakarta - Yogja - Surabaya -Banyuwangi

<<Thanks, have found a couple of travel agents and emailed them, will see what comes back.>>

Not everyone in Indonesia are keen user of internet, even though they have email addresses. So if let's say your email went unanswered for timely period, it's better to pick up the phone and start conversing with them directly.

Good luck!

Wellington
7. Re: Train from Jakarta - Yogja - Surabaya -Banyuwangi

Thanks for your response, any suggestions on travel agents who you would recommend as reliable?

Jakarta, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Jakarta
8. Re: Train from Jakarta - Yogja - Surabaya -Banyuwangi

Actually, Indonesian Railways has appointed few travel agents as their authorized sales agents. The complete list is available here www.kereta-api.co.id/index.php…

However, most of them are domestic tour operator and the name is rather strange, even for Indonesian market. None of them have emails as well. Mind you that buying tickets from authorized agent is not an easy deal as well, as you do not know their preferred method of payment and whether they prefer advance payment (of which is in most cases).

Java, Indonesia
reviews: 4
9. Re: Train from Jakarta - Yogja - Surabaya -Banyuwangi

Use www.itravelindonesia.com if you want to book your tickets in advance.

They are very responsive to emails and reliable. Not sure if they will do rail tickets though.

Good luck.

Wellington
10. Re: Train from Jakarta - Yogja - Surabaya -Banyuwangi

Yes they do,they replied overnight to my email, they have secure payment and will courier the tickets to my hotel. Thanks again.