We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vaccinations, Etc. Prior to Travel?

Which Bali hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brantford, Ontario...
Vaccinations, Etc. Prior to Travel?

Hello Everyone,

Excited to be leaving for Bali in 6 weeks! I was wondering if you could advise if we should be vaccinated for Japanese Encephalitis, Typhoid and Rabies? And also, would you advise taking antimalarials? We are both already protected against Tetanus, Hep A and Hep B. I just wanted opinions before we go to the travel clinic and they make us pay tons of $ for stuff that we potentially don't need. Any help is MUCH appreciated. Thank you!

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran
reviews: 82
1. Re: Vaccinations, Etc. Prior to Travel?

Personally, I think you are fine without getting those extras...but I'm not a medical pro....and I don't think TA wants non-pros to dispense medical advice. I have lived here for many years without getting any of the ones you mentioned but then again anything can happen. I do highly recomend you get very good travel medical insurance, just in case of anything...accident, unexpected illness, etc.

Welcome to Bali!

London, United...
reviews: 22
2. Re: Vaccinations, Etc. Prior to Travel?

When it came to us traveling our medical nurse at the doctors said that it is better to be safe then sorry. The advise she gave to us was to get the jabs, go back and have the buster's when need and with most of them your covered for years worth of travel.

So when it came to Bali she recommended, Tetanus, Diptheria, Polio, Typhoid and Hepatitis A (and B if at risk)

New York City, New...
3. Re: Vaccinations, Etc. Prior to Travel?

My husband and I are traveling to Bali on Friday and had typhoid and hep A a month ago. We were at a travel doctor as a follow up to get antibiotics in case of water or food borne illness and this doctor ( different than our general practitioner because he is out of town) recommended the Japanese encephalitis vaccine although we don't have time to get the second dose. We opted to do it the one dose with the thinking that some is better than none. We will be just outside of Ubud at the Como Shambahla Estate. We opted to do it because we will be hiking and there are rice paddies near here etc. Nothing we can do about the complete vaccine at this point but i am worried and frustrated that out main practitioner did not recommend this because we would be at a resort. If this illness is endemic in Bali why is this not more of a common recommendation? How much should we be changing our activity plans based on this?

Perth, Australia
reviews: 36
4. Re: Vaccinations, Etc. Prior to Travel?

Can't tell you what you should have but I can tell you my doctor goes to Bali all the time and has none of those.

We do what he does!

Perth, Australia
reviews: 17
5. Re: Vaccinations, Etc. Prior to Travel?

Be up to date with your childhood vaccinations including Measles, is running rife in Bali. Diphtheria, Tetanus, Pertussis (whooping cough) you need a booster every 8-10 years, whooping cough is also serious and common in the community. HepA/B combo.... I also get Cholera... some of these are life long.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali
reviews: 69
6. Re: Vaccinations, Etc. Prior to Travel?

Personally I wouldn't travel to Asia without Typhoid Vaccination but the Japanese Encephalitis and Rabies are not neccessary IMO. I do come from a medical background but agree that you have to be guided by your own doctor, however, I have found that some doctors go overboard when it comes to Bali. They don't distinguish between Bali and other areas of Indonesia because the book they look up doesn't distinguish.

Anti malarials also are needed in Bali as the incidence of it is very, very rare in Bali, but they are needed in other parts of Indonesia and this is where some doctors get confused as well

Generally, if you are doing normal tourist type things in Bali you don't have to worry too much. if you were planning to go way, way off the beaten track and be tramping around isolated bushland, then it might be a different story.

7. Re: Vaccinations, Etc. Prior to Travel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, August 14, 2014