We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Very confused about airfare prices

Which Bali hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
reviews: 78
Very confused about airfare prices

Hi folks,

We are coming to Bali next year for our honeymoon. I wanted to go in style and treat us to Business class with Garuda. I did a quick search from SYD-DPS on Garuda's website and also used zuji.com.au. For a couple more months the flights are around $1780 per person but after about April 2013 they jump to double around $3659 or so per person. We want to go in September 2013 and it's over $7000 for both of us. Yet if we flew out next month it would only be $3600 or so in total for the two of us.

Am I doing something wrong with the search? I can't believe the airfare would double in price.

Appreciate any input.

Thanks.

perth
reviews: 17
1. Re: Very confused about airfare prices

check when it gets a little closer,are you checking the garuda indonesia website?....after other airlines any class on garuda feels like first good luck..also it mat be school holidays?

Perth
reviews: 7
2. Re: Very confused about airfare prices

Time of the year I would say. Rainy season, no rainy season (although it rains anytime!) Try other carriers or ask a travel agent to look for you. They do the leg work and if you are happy with the price book, if not don't.

I know you want to start your honeymoon in style, but personally I would rather the extra money and upgrade accomodation or have lots to spend on nice restaurants and shopping.

Perth
reviews: 23
3. Re: Very confused about airfare prices

Prices for Sept next year probably have not been released yet and that is why the figures are so high. I bet if you went through the process of trying to book you wouldn't be able to. Call your local Garuda office and ask them when fares will be released.

Sydney, Australia
4. Re: Very confused about airfare prices

Thanks for your comments.

I am hoping it's an error from Garuda.

The other good thing about Business class is the size of the seat and leg room. The other reason for wanting to go Business class is the space and my chronic bad back. This year when we went to Thailand it was the first time we were upgraded to Business class and it was the first time in 10 trips I didn't end up having a bad back for a week which had always spoilt my holiday. Nothing beats being able to stretch out on a flight.

Sydney Australia
reviews: 121
5. Re: Very confused about airfare prices

I'm not quite sure what is going on with Garuda.

For the last two years we have had a couples trip in June.

Last year we flew jetstar for $550 return

This year we flew Garuda for $608 return. The difference in the two is chalk and cheese.

So been looking for next years flights.

Garuda economy over $1100 each???

I have not seen their prices this high in a long time. It's not only in school holidays it's looking like that's going to be their prices.

I have done random searches for other dates and months but prices still sky high. And that's just economy

Sydney, Australia
6. Re: Very confused about airfare prices

I've also done random searches for dates in 2013. There was also one for Business class for over $9000 for two people. I also noticed economy prices were very expensive too. Perhaps due to the amount of people now using the re-vamped Garuda airlines, they have decided to up the prices.

Last time I flew with them was in 1989 and I vowed never to fly with them again. Due to reviews here on TA and also the ads on TV showing the new fleet, I thought I would give them another try, especially when they are still cheap. Compared to flying to Thailand anyway. If those prices are true for next year, we will just have to fly economy and I have to hope my back doesn't do me in. It is at least a few hours less than the 9 odd hours to Thailand.

Sydney
reviews: 4
7. Re: Very confused about airfare prices

Yes it's very frustrating, some popular hotels need to be secured almost a year in advance.. if $1200+ is to be the normal fare plus high hotel rates so be it. But other destinations will become more attractive.

melbourne
reviews: 6
8. Re: Very confused about airfare prices

Might be time to Branch out from Bali? Garuda are good but could fly else where with the price hikes ?

Adelaide, Australia
9. Re: Very confused about airfare prices

Adelaide to Bali have been as low as &480 return but just recently have gone up to $900.

Strange days indeed!!!!!

Mac

Perth, Australia
reviews: 50
10. Re: Very confused about airfare prices

We need to find someone who works for garuda who might be able to give us some answers