We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go for laid back beach stay?

Which Bali hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 26
Where to go for laid back beach stay?

A friend and I are headed to Bali from late September - early October. We are two single women in our late 30s. We have the first 5 nights booked at the Padma Bali in Kuta. We have another 7 nights to stay elsewhere. I'm thinking Ubud for a few days and another beach location for a few days. I would like somewhere very different from the hustle & bustle of Kuta. I envision huts on a beach... although this might be a bit of a stretch as we tend to like hot, fresh water and at least fans (preferably AC). :)

Some of the areas that might be options include: Nusa Lembongan, Candidasa, Amed, Gili T and Lombok (what area?). I'd love some feedback on these spots and am open to other recommendations as well. In terms of our interests, we don't dive, but a bit of snorkeling would be good. Easy bike rides or walks would be great. Cultural things are good (temples, festivals, local food, etc.). No need for partying or shopping, since we will have that covered in Kuta.

Looking forward to your suggestions! Thanks in advance,

Erin

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Lombok
reviews: 25
1. Re: Where to go for laid back beach stay?

Hi Erin, while I love Lombok and the Gili, there is not really enough time if you want to also go to Ubud. It is quite a long way and you need to stay a few days to make the travelling worthwhile.

I suggest you head up to Ubud and then make your way over to Padang Bai area. Blue Lagoon is a very nice beach for relaxing and snorkeling.

You won't find huts on the beach though. Really, there are not too many places in Bali or Lombok that offer huts on the beach like (say) in Thailand.

Or, skip Ubud and head over to Lombok. Fly there and then explore south Lombok which has spectacular white sand beaches (nothing similar available in Bali), from there head up to Gili T for 2-3 nights and either fly or boat back to Bali (depending on time of year).

Edited: 1:23 pm, August 05, 2012
Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
reviews: 50
2. Re: Where to go for laid back beach stay?

Hi Erin - Ubud is certainly great for 3 or 4 days; enjoy the cultural shows, the shopping, the spas, the restaurants, the beautiful natural surroundings and rice field walks, bike rides, and if it floats your boat the museums and galleries.

You may be envisioning huts on the beach, but since the Balinese discovered bricks and concrete, you won't find them there unfortunately. For the hut experience, I'd be looking at Nusa Lembongan, or the Gilis, the former being quicker to get to than the latter.

Golden Beach...
reviews: 74
3. Re: Where to go for laid back beach stay?

We have been over to Nusa Lembongan twice in the past year, it is our favourtie area for beaches.

Mushroom bay there are huts on the beach in this area...we have stayed just up on the cliff at the Point, a very special spot to stay, overlooking the ocean with 4 villa type rooms overlooking a pool, its only 8 mins pleasant walk down to mushroom beach.

If you do decide to go over to Lembongan another area is Mangroves, we get a driver from Mushroom to drop us off at the Mangroves for the day to swim, snorkle, read a book sitting on the floating deck out front of Chiringuito Bar Restaurant, they also have rooms right on the beach...check out the website.

The island is peaceful with lots of villiage activities going on around, workers collecting seaweed, boats coming in each morning with boat loads of fish, there are a couple of spas for massage and treatments.

In Oct we have decided to go to Lombok & the Gillis (Air or T) for 6 nights, we have changed our original plans from 6 nights in Seminyak down to 4 nights so we can have the time needed with travel to go over to Lombok, if you do decide to go Lombok IMO you would need all the spare nights as travel there & back takes up part of 2 days.

Lembongan you could do 2-4 nights & still stay at either Ubud or Sanur, both areas are very nice, we have booked into Sanur for our last 4 nights as it is a favourite spot for us in Bali plus its close enough to airport.

Byron Bay, Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Legian
reviews: 1
4. Re: Where to go for laid back beach stay?

I would also recommend Nusa Lembongan after you have had a few days in Ubud. I have stayed many times at the Hai Tide huts which are thatched roof cabins virtually on the beach. The resort is gorgeous, with a pool, and great food and the huts are lovely with an open area underneath with two single day beds and your bedroom upstairs. You have to share the bathroom and toilet facilities, but each bathroom is seperate meaning that you bathe alone and not with a whole lot of other people. I can highly recommend the resort and its location and it's an easy boat ride from Benoa Harbour near Sanur.

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 26
5. Re: Where to go for laid back beach stay?

Thanks everyone for your responses and suggestions. I will take a closer look at Nusa Lembongan and Padang Bai (and the area around there). It does sound like the general consensus is that going to the Gilis or Lombok is probably too much when combined with Ubud, and I definitely want to spend a bit of time in that area. Sounds like maybe huts on the beach are a possibility on NL, but I guess I am really just looking for a simple, laid-back area that is not too commercial and still retains some of that village feel (with a beach close at hand). Thanks again!

Wonthaggi, Australia
reviews: 16
6. Re: Where to go for laid back beach stay?

I can also highly recommended the Hai Tide Huts on Nusa Lembongan, one of my very favourite places in the world :-)

Cabarita Beach...
reviews: 23
7. Re: Where to go for laid back beach stay?

Hi Erin,

I have a different location to suggest - the Bukit Peninsula, in particular the area of Bingin. We have stayed a few times at the Temple Lodge which has fantastic ocean views from high on the cliff top. It is a small boutique lodge with 3 of its suites on the cliff edge. There are also other suites set back from the cliff top. Each is different with a thatched roof & made from materials such as coral stone, driftwood,etc. The beach is accessible by stairs. No shops really close by, but there are a few places to eat. The Temple Lodge also has a day spa & does daily yoga. Lots of the food is made in their kitchen including home made breads & jam. When we stay in this area, it's feels like the Bali of old. No traffic, no noise, no late nights! Just time to relax & explore the surrounding area.

If you'd like to check it out, here's their website

http://www.thetemplelodge.com/

And if you're interested, here's a blog on the area

…blogspot.com.au/2011/10/day-13-bingin.html

Have fun deciding on where to stay!

Cheers, Nelly

Lombok, Indonesia
reviews: 5
8. Re: Where to go for laid back beach stay?

I have never stayed at Bumbangku Lombok myself but it might be worth some investigation... http://www.bumbangkulombok.com/

The name certainly has some appeal and is quite memorable.

I am sure I have Happynoodleboy's attention with this post.

Hard not to wonder about the choice of name but it is easily explained, the location is called Pantai Bumbang, yes, bum bang beach.

Make of that what you will.

Getting there is not as easy as it could be, though it is not a long way from the airport in physical distance the trip time may be more significant.

It is probably not a good place to try to reach in a taxi.

There are options outlined on their website.

This sort of place is quite unusual and the beach hut thing is not readily come by in this region.

Do understand that it is remote, cords are 8°54'13.76"S 116°22'37.84"E in south east Lombok.

Bumbungan is a Sasak word for the black hairy stuff (from sugar palms) that is used to close up the peaks and apexes (ridge capping) of alang alang roofing. Maybe the name is derived from that, though it is not a good place to try growing sugar palms.

Maybe there is a local explanation, mrs hurcules suggests it is most likely derived from a persons name, however she does not know any of the bumbanging clan of south east Lombok

I have not seen the place with my own eyes so I am not recommending it as such, however it does seem to be answering some of the requirements, not quite 5 star but it might be much more of an adventure.

If they had a post office (which I am most certain they do not) then it would be a fun place to send a post card from.

"Having a great time, wish you were here to share the experience".

Edited: 5:55 pm, August 06, 2012
Lombok, Indonesia
reviews: 5
9. Re: Where to go for laid back beach stay?

Reading this blog that mentions the restaurant prices may be worth a read, seems the lack of dining options may have some issues... …wordpress.com/2011/…

TA reviews on the hotel are to be found here... tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g297733-d2398255…

perth
reviews: 11
10. Re: Where to go for laid back beach stay?

Yes, I agree with most posters, Lembongan Island will definitely give you a very relaxed holiday. Not much to do but walk, explore, snorkel, surf, paddle board or lay around the beach or pool if you have one.. You come back to the mainland all windswept and sunkissed. The boat ride back can be a bit rough though!