We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Celuk shopping

Which Bali hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dayton, Ohio
reviews: 9
Celuk shopping

Is Celuk still a good place to buy silver? Do you have a better place to shop?

Thank you in advance for all suggestions.

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran
reviews: 82
1. Re: Celuk shopping

Yes and no. Hope this is helpful!

Just kidding!

Sounds like you have been to Celuk before? It's a fairly large village filled with gold and silver shops. Most of the work is done in home industries so they are showrooms for both wholesale and retail jewelry. Because of it's fame, there are places that are specially set up for commission tour groups, and some that are actually wholesalers and individual manufacturers.

If you are just looking for a few things, you could be better off just shopping at regular stores. If you are looking for large wholesale orders, there are several larger places both within an without Celuk that have high quality products.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali
reviews: 69
2. Re: Celuk shopping

Celuk has many silversmiths but unfortunately you have to know a little about the quality in order to buy there safely. There are a lot of places that sell inferior quality at exorbitant prices. Most place you have to haggle and haggle hard and it helps if you go in knowing that any driver who takes to these places is going to get a healthy commission from what you buy as well.

One place that is basically set price, has good quality and won't rip you off is Prapen in Celuk. Any good driver should know where it is.

My suggestion is to visit a few of the other places first and then go to Prapen, you can actually see the difference in quality in a lot of cases and then if you still want to buy from the others you will have an idea on price at least.

MOnkey Forest Road in Ubud also has a lot of silver in the boutique shops but the prices can be on the exy side.

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 2
3. Re: Celuk shopping

In a word 'No' only my opinion

We called in to three shops/showrooms on our way to Sukawati (not the market, looking for bed quilts)

The first one just happened to be the shop where i bought my silver bangle.

Looking for a silver bangle(same as the one i currently wear, long story but when i bought my bangle the staff came running out of the shop,okay!okay! you can have it, for the price we were prepared to pay for it)as we were getting into the car, they would not budge on the price in the shop)

Much of the silver jewellery is still filigree(1970's) and to me the other styles of pendants etc seem 'old' and the prices well, politely 'tell em they're dreaming'

You can ask if they give 'discount' at the silver shops in Kuta/Legian or they may already be offering 20-30%off.

Don't assume that the silver jewellery you buy (yes,it's marked 925) from the glass cabinets infront of a shop selling clothing, nic nacs etc is genuine 925.

Mooloolaba...
4. Re: Celuk shopping

I also say "no" to Celuk, I'm sorry but I find it to be a ripoff, way over priced and very old fashioned.

Get a driver to take you to "IC Silver" .... be prepared to be blown away.

Yes some of it is very expensive, but hunt through and there are some good deals.

The designs are amazing ... my daughter and I loved it! ( Don't forget to check out upstairs, it will blow your mind.)

australia
reviews: 66
5. Re: Celuk shopping

Could you tell me roughly where ic silver is located? Thanks

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 1
6. Re: Celuk shopping

Hi Burns39 did you find the quilts thats what Im after in July I will be heading to sukwati markets to look !!!!

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 2
7. Re: Celuk shopping

Hi colcy

We did not buy the quilts from Sukawati Markets & i'd recommend looking at the quilt sheds before you head to Sukawati.

You will see quilts hanging outside the shop/sheds(there are many)and i'd look at the quilts(take the quilts out of the plastic and open them out, to check the design,colour,stitching,any marks)in as many sheds as you can until you find what you are looking for.

We needed King size and the first two sheds we stopped at did not have the size, but the third shed did. Br Cemenggaon,Celuk, Sukawati, Gianyar

Our laundry was able to 'shrink wrap' both the quilts (like your clothes) to half the size for the flight home.(check-in luggage)

Mooloolaba...
8. Re: Celuk shopping

HI nediztu .... I'm sorry but I'm not 100% sure of its location, our driver took us there because I wasn't impressed with Celuk. If no one else can help I can send him an email and ask him, he has been a friend of our family for 6 years. Its somewhere between Kuta and Denpasar.

Donna.

Edited: 4:57 am, June 12, 2011
Birmingham, United...
reviews: 9
9. Re: Celuk shopping

Agree with Whinnie re Prapen...a fabulous place,set prices,silver content good,no pressure to buy and you can see the silver pieces being made..

Good Luck

KCC

New Zealand
reviews: 17
10. Re: Celuk shopping

Hi Burn39, If you dont mind me asking approx what price did you pay for your King size quilt please :)