We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ulun Ubud Resort & Spa

Which Bali hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Czech Republic...
reviews: 11
Ulun Ubud Resort & Spa

Hi,

has anybody stayed at this resort in Ubud? Would you recommend it?

Thanks.

Katerina

Asia
reviews: 40
1. Re: Ulun Ubud Resort & Spa

Hi,

This is Rob1's fav place to stay in Bali. He is THE Ulun Ubud Guru. ;-P

Check out this post:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g297701-i8984-k154…

It is very good value for money. The massages there are good and the views are fantastic. The bathroom is a little too spartan for me.

Not for one who has knee problems - unles you get a room near the reception.

Hope this helps!

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 34
2. Re: Ulun Ubud Resort & Spa

Jade du is right about Ulun Ubud being my favourite. Also good is Sayan Terrace which is even more traditional (read less westernized").

Two cautions on the thread Jade du referred you to.

Firstly, that thread strongly recommends Nyoman Rusma as a driver as both Jade du and I have had good experiences with him, see:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294226-i7220-k425…

However, recent reports have been less favourable, see:

tripadvisor.com/…2628380

Secondly, the visa information is outdated; see:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294226-i7220-k412…

Czech Republic...
3. Re: Ulun Ubud Resort & Spa

Dear Rob1,

Thank you very much for your help.

We have booked to stay in a Studio Room at this resort in June 06.

Please can you advise where the studio rooms are located and which one has got the best views (e.g. room number)

By the way have you tried the spa?

Many thanks.

Katerina

Asia
reviews: 40
4. Re: Ulun Ubud Resort & Spa

Hi Katerina!

I know someone who has tried the spa at Ulun Ubud and LOVED it. She and her husband loved it SO MUCH that they had treatments EVERY NIGHT - just before they went to bed and this is someone who has travelled all over the world and back many, many times, so rest assured, it should be good!

Enjoy!

Czech Republic...
5. Re: Ulun Ubud Resort & Spa

Thank you Jade_du, I'm pleased to hear that!

Has anybody know where are the best studio rooms located with the best view?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Katerina

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 34
6. Re: Ulun Ubud Resort & Spa

Katerina,

Wish I knew what a studio room was!

I think they are all studio's except for the Honeymoon (below the pool) and Family (more than one bedroom) units. I'm just not sure what the Superior room designation gets you that the Studio doesn't.

...So here is my choice of the best rooms in order of preference:

Upper Level (10 steps to lobby), Suite 302, 411, 304

Mid Level (2 flights of stairs to lobby), Suite 407, 405, 406, 408

Bottom Level (lots of stairs) Suite 102 right beside pool

Lowest Level (can you say Himilaya) Suite 101 Honeymoon suite.

Of them all, I would choose 407 or 405 because of the generous balcony, full windows, and location right above (like 3 stories above) the pool. Some balaconies are more private than others; don't hesitate to ask to switch rooms if there are other rooms open and available for you.

The view in all of the above other than 102 and 101 is very good, but note you are on the side of a steep ravine and the view is of the other side of a steep ravine.

As much as many enjoy the spa, do take the chance on sampling the local cuisine at the Ulun Ubud; some of their chicken dishes in particular are really very very good, and not too highly spiced. The staff prepare food almost to order so if you ask them to spice it up or tone it down, they will try to please.

Please tell them "Mr." Robert from Toronto says hello. One further tip; the porters who lug your bags to and from the room have been there forever and deserve your generosity IF you feel so inclined; they generously share their tips (which they rarely receive and do not expect) among all the staff anyway but I have found them to be among the most humble and accomodating persons I have met in Bali.

Also, to truly appreciate the Ulun Ubud, you have to s-l-o-w d-o-w-n and take in all that is happening (lots of subtle things that you would not notice (like the prayer offerings in the mornings all over the place.) Take the time to explore the grounds a little too; get down below pool level at least once to catch a few hidden gems (view of the river, etc.)

Almost everything is subtle; I once spent hours just waiting and watching the wildlife which was all about but invisible until you take the time to s-l-o-w d-o-w-n.

My best advice is not to go with any preconceived notions about what to expect (plus or minus) and just embrace what you find there.