We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tulamben snorkeling - worth it?

Which Bali hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Creede, Colorado
reviews: 148
Tulamben snorkeling - worth it?

We are snorkelers, not divers, and this place seems to be opportunity to snorkel a shipwreck.

Has anyone snorkeled here, would you recommend it?

If so, where should we base ourselves? How many days do you suggest to stay there?

thank you.

Australia
reviews: 22
1. Re: Tulamben snorkeling - worth it?

Boleslav,

Tulamben was the first and only place I have ever dived, I snorkeled as well and that was good, lots of fish to see, but the diving was amazing and very well priced, the guide talked me through everything before the dive and guided me through parts of the wreck, I also dived further east of the wreck at a drop off that had amazing coral, even if you have never dived before, give it a go, it's worth it.

I traveled from Kuta and did it as a day trip, but I am sure others here can suggest great places to stay and see along the way.

Cheers

Creede, Colorado
reviews: 148
2. Re: Tulamben snorkeling - worth it?

who did you dive with? I have never had the dive gear on so am not sure if I could do what you did, but am always open to the idea

which month did you go

how many hours driving from Kuta is it?

Asia
reviews: 40
3. Re: Tulamben snorkeling - worth it?

Hi,

I think that it's better if you are a diver. I also don't dive and I snorkelled there. We had OK visibility but it's of course much better if you can dive. If you have the time, head to Menjangan Island. Great for both snorkelling and diving.

Zurich
reviews: 1
4. Re: Tulamben snorkeling - worth it?

I am not "a diver" either, but I am a big snorkeling fan, too. I have snorkeled in a lot of places. Love free diving to 20-30 feet. I love the flexibility of moving around freely. Being at the surface when I want to and then diving down for maybe 45 seconds and coming back up.

Would this be a "right place". Can I snorkel from the beach, independent from a boattrip?

Singapore, Singapore
5. Re: Tulamben snorkeling - worth it?

hi! about this snorkelling trip in kuta, how did you go about booking it? through online portal? or you just went straight to the vendor? what was the cost of it?

Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 37
6. Re: Tulamben snorkeling - worth it?

I've snorkelled and dived at the Tulamben wreck and you can do both straight off the beach from an easy to find spot. As I had good visibility for the snorkelling and we went at a low tide, I had a good time snorkelling there. I even kidded myself snorkelling was 'good enough' to see it- till I dived it lol.

Though certainly Menjangan is a superior site all round, the Talumben wreck is great. This would be a good place for you silentblue, as you can see a lot from the top and sides, though perhaps it would be a foolhardy to go inside without an air supply. Also for anyone who wants to try a 'hold my hand' first time dive with their own instructor.

There are a number of dive shops who could rent you snorkel/suits/fins if you didn't have your own or take you diving.

ROARXYou could just call them when you're in Bali rather than booking on internet. Personally, I always wait till the day before to arrange a dive so I can check weather and sea conditions. It's a long day trip (about 3 hours drive each way depending on traffic) from Kuta- not IN Kuta.

Sydney Australia
reviews: 29
7. Re: Tulamben snorkeling - worth it?

Amed is great for snorkeling and there are so many different places along the coast here that it's impossible to choose one! Pick a hotel on the beach that says you can snorkel out the front and it'll be great.

All the snorkeling we have done here has been straight form the beach there is also that little fishing boat wreck that is easy enough for kids to do, it even has a rope to pull yourself along. Not amazing but interesting.

Unfortunately when we have stayed here we didn't have our underwater camera, but I have a blog with photos of Menjangan island which I have now split into two sections our first and second dive. If you look after lunch at the second dive site, that is pretty close to my experiences free diving around Amed.

We found around Amed different beaches varied a lot in what you saw, out the front of Apa Kabar Villas was pockets of bright coral with lots of fish where as Lipah beach had large table coral.

Next trip I want to spend at least a week up around Amed and just go beach hopping !!

Blog …blogspot.com/p/january-2011-snap-shots.html

Hope it helps.

8. Re: Tulamben snorkeling - worth it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:15 pm, October 19, 2012