We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling Bali with kids & no bookings

sydney
reviews: 7
Travelling Bali with kids & no bookings

Hi, spent a lot of my misspent youth backpacking in Bali, but haven't been for 8 years. Now thinking about visiting with 2 kids, I was wondering about how easy it would be to just pick up accommodation (nothing fancy) as we went in the January holidays. Or would it be necessary to pre book all? Words of wisdom from those experienced in such matters would be greatly appreciated. (And I guess we won't be able to live on $10 a day anymore...)

Asia
reviews: 41
1. Re: Travelling Bali with kids & no bookings

Hi,

I find Bali getting to be pretty expensive now, unfortunately....:-(

When are you planning on going?

I think you can go there and not book anything IF you don't have a limited budget, so that if the cheaper places are fully booked, you don't have a problem paying for something more upmarket.

It's also getting very popular and with 2 kids (dunno their ages), it might be better to book as you don't want them to be walking from hotel to hotel...

Broome, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome
reviews: 41
2. Re: Travelling Bali with kids & no bookings

Agree with Jade. I would not find it a pleasant thought, arriving in Bali with two children and not having at least the first couple of nights booked. Also having a budget to keep to, could mean doing a lot of looking to find something clean and comfortable, within your daily accommodatiuon budget.

I would urge you to book as much as you can before you go, or your return trip to Bali could be hard work...

All the best.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali
reviews: 62
3. Re: Travelling Bali with kids & no bookings

The answer to your questions also depends on when in January you are travelling. If it's the first half, definitely book ahead, if it's the second half at least book the first couple of nights. Bali doesn't really slow down now from before Christmas to the beginning of February. Mainly because a lot of people do what you are planning on doing, LOL

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
reviews: 217
4. Re: Travelling Bali with kids & no bookings

january is still school holidays and most popular places will be fully booked. school does not start in australia until the very end of january and people will stay until then. i travel with kids of all ages and find it better to book ahead. nothing worse than not having somewhere to stay and going from place to place enquiring with tired kids, luggage and the heat. also the days of getting accommodation cheaper by doing a 'walk in' in bali are virtually over. there are such good deals available on line that is pays to spend some time planning and researching and booking ahead. that way you have a chance to read reviews, look at photos of the hotels and get a place to stay that you like.

also the fact that you have 2 kids you will need 2 rooms at most places so that will make it even harder to find 2 spare rooms compared to the days you only needed to book one. you will find that some places will already be booked for next january that is how popular things have become.

as for budget besides accommodation we realistically allow $100 - $150 per day to cover meals, shopping, taxis etc. some days we have a lot left over other days we spend more depending on what we are doing.

sydney
5. Re: Travelling Bali with kids & no bookings

Many thanks for your replies. I agree it's more difficult with kids, but it does take the spontaneity out of the trip. We'd probably go for 4 weeks and I'd like the flexibility of moving around when we felt like it, but I guess those days are over. Last time we went was outside holidays and a month after 9/11 and with only one child - we got in anywhere.

Since I've started my research I've been amazed at how costly Bali has become, and the budget will have to blow out. And I thought Fiji was expensive!

The other thing mentioned, it seems so many places only allow 3 in a room (we need 4), is this the norm? We'd be looking at more regional/ budget places, is this more flexible outside the big tourist spots?

sydney
6. Re: Travelling Bali with kids & no bookings

Oh, and the other thing I was interested to know, do you generally get better deals for accommodation for mid range tourist spots (say Sanur, Lovina) through airline packages, online sites or direct with the resort (rack prices or other)? I've noticed some like Bumi Ayu (Sanur) have much cheaper "deals" in brochures. Is there any particular way to approach this?

Australia
Destination Expert
7. Re: Travelling Bali with kids & no bookings

narrow down your hotel choices then check ALL online agents as well as direct with the hotel. these are the cheapest option 99% of the time. most travel brochures charge per person and once you start comparing they are not as good as you first think. you will find cheap options in every area in bali.

occasionally you will find a 'package deal' for say airfare + 7 nights which works out ok sometimes but look at doing your own bookings. for example jetstar have airfares to bali at the moment for various dates which are two seats for the price of one. air asia also have sales throughout the year so take your time and research.

Australia
Destination Expert
8. Re: Travelling Bali with kids & no bookings

ps most rooms take 3 people but there are still plenty of options that will take 4. let us know where you are interested in staying and we can suggest a few. eg honeymoon guesthouse in ubud take 4 in the krisna room (1 double and one queen bed). palm garden hotel or villa puri ayu in sanur have 2 bedroom accom.

Perth , Australia
Destination Expert
for Denpasar
reviews: 27
9. Re: Travelling Bali with kids & no bookings

There are some great small budget hotels. Many of them do not have web sites etc because :- 1. to keep costs down and 2. the owners/managers do not have the computer skills to run them. Even in Kuta there are some very good smaller places along Jalan Legian. They are mostly behind the shops.The entrances are often down smaller gangways but open out at the back. I have stayed at Agung Bungalows, Bharata both near the memorial and Aqarius. All with pools and rooms at various prices. I have gone "off the streets" in January and managed to get rooms. A plan is to check out places, if possible, the day before. Expect to pay about Au$30 to $40 a night.

10. Re: Travelling Bali with kids & no bookings

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:36 am, November 03, 2010