We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Langkawi or Gili for honeymoon?

Limassol, Cyprus
reviews: 26
Langkawi or Gili for honeymoon?

Hello!

We are going for our honey moon for about 6 days in Ubud, 4 days in Kuala Lumpur and now we are between Langkawi or Gili...

We decided to go to Langkawi at beginning, but the travel operator said that it might be tiring with all these flights, thus we are thinking of going to Gili...

What would you recommend to us?

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
reviews: 50
1. Re: Langkawi or Gili for honeymoon?

They're very different destinations, but my first question would be what time of year are you planning to visit? The Gilis are 3 tiny dusty islands, with white sand beaches, crystal clear water perfect for snorkelling and diving, and a range of accomodation to suit all pockets, from grungy backpacker places to mid-range boutique bungalows to up-market villas.

Langkawi is a little more up-market with a number of resorts dotted around the island, with more of a tropical rainforest feel to the island. It's more of a traditional honeymoon destination than the Gilis I would say. The beaches in Langkawi are lovely, but I think the water is quite murky compared to the Gilis.

Limassol, Cyprus
reviews: 26
2. Re: Langkawi or Gili for honeymoon?

THANKS!

We are going 20th of July.

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
3. Re: Langkawi or Gili for honeymoon?

Weather in July in both places should be very nice.

If it were me, I'd be tempted to choose Langkawi, it is in my opinion more of a honeymoon destination. And it's not that far from Kuala Lumpur for your flight back there to go home (assuming you're using KL as your hub). If you went to the Gilis from Bali, you're looking at about 1 and a half hours there by boat, and the same back, so it's all travelling time.

Asia
reviews: 41
4. Re: Langkawi or Gili for honeymoon?

Hm....July is the rainy season for Langkawi - it's better to go there in Dec/Jan. And if you head there, I also agree that the waters there are not fantastic, but if you go to Pulau Payar(not sure of spelling), which is a marine national park, the waters there are lovely. You can do that in a day trip - and get to swim with and feed the baby sharks.

So I'd opt for Gili islands, though I agree with Happynoodleboy that do feel that Langakwi might be more a honeymoon destination.

Congrats on your wedding/honeymoon, btw! ;-P

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
5. Re: Langkawi or Gili for honeymoon?

The thing about the rainy season, as in Bali, sometimes it only rains for an hour then all dries up, sometimes it doesn't rain, sometimes it rains all day. I've been to Penang and Langkawi in January and sat and watched some spectacularly heavy rainstorms. You're in the tropics, bring an umbrella.

Check out this weather FAQ on the Langkawi forum:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293951-i7006-k321…

Tokyo, Japan
reviews: 107
6. Re: Langkawi or Gili for honeymoon?

My recommendation - neither.

Honeymoon would be much better on Bali. If you have the budget, consider any of the Amans, Four Seasons, Bulgari, St Regis.

There are lots of cheaper villa accommodations very nice too.

If you go to Langkawi, then the Datai is the best choice. The Four Seasons on Langkawi has an unfortunate view of a giant LaFarge cement factory.

Pantai Cenang has cheap accommodations on Langkawi.

7. Re: Langkawi or Gili for honeymoon?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:21 am, October 10, 2010