We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bali or Fiji or Tahiti???

Which Bali hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Union Square, NYC
Bali or Fiji or Tahiti???

Looking to have my honeymoon in either Fiji, Tahiti or Bali. My wife to be is angry because I have not participated in the planning of our wedding, so I've been given the task of finding out information about these 3 places. I've never been to this part of the world, hopefully someone could shed some light on these places....

About us: We have 2 weeks, leaving from New York City in late August. We love the beach, can easily sit on the beach for hours without talking to each other. I want to be blown away by the beaches/water/sites. A place that will make Aruba, Caribbean or Dominican Republic look silly. We also enjoy snorkeling and diving. We definitely would want an Over Water Bungalow (as secluded as possible) for some portion of the trip. While we love all these relaxing features we would also need some cultural or historical aspects to the trip. We like tours, we enjoy exploring and learning. We do not want to be limited to the beach.

Please help!

Thanks,

Amir

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Ubud, Bali, Dublin
reviews: 74
1. Re: Bali or Fiji or Tahiti???

Hi,

One good thing to add the your requirements would be an idea of a Budget..

Fidji and Tahiti being far more expensive than Bali.

As far as beaches are concerned, if this is you big thing, then Bali is not up to the level of Fidji or Tahiti (see Bora Bora...). Maybe the Gili islands could be an option but no Lagoon I'm afraid.

Also I'm not aware of any Over Water Bungalows in Bali.

On the cultural and historical aspects, as well as shopping and amazing choices of cuisines Bali has to win this one.

Australia
reviews: 48
2. Re: Bali or Fiji or Tahiti???

Have a look here

http://www.agung-bali-nirwana.com/

You are not going to get that postcard crystal sea, bungalows on water in Bali but there is much beautiful and pleasurable to be found there.

It's your choice.

Auckland, New...
reviews: 14
3. Re: Bali or Fiji or Tahiti???

over water bungalows may not be, but i found this to be as good if not more enchanting! pity it's kind of out of my price range.

viceroybali.com/en/…terrace-villas.html

Union Square, NYC
4. Re: Bali or Fiji or Tahiti???

Thank you both for the responses, these forums are a great help.

Are there any islands nearby Bali that would have those amazing blue waters, bungalows and beaches? Perhaps I can split the trip up.

Also, what areas of Bali should I focus on if we decide to have our Honeymoon there?

Thanks again.

amir

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Ubud, Bali, Dublin
reviews: 74
5. Re: Bali or Fiji or Tahiti???

hi,

I forgot to mention that one attraction of Bali for me is the Ricefield view villa or hotel room. I could spend hours in the pool looking at nature.

From my pool at Ubud Hanging Gardens I could see a troup of monkeys playing on the other side of the valley.

For nice beaches you could try Gili Trawangan, about one hour away from Bali by speedboat.

Australia
reviews: 48
6. Re: Bali or Fiji or Tahiti???

I'm guessing this is what you are after.

likulikulagoon.com/likuliku-overwater-bure.c…

If you do want to come to Bali, you need to look at what it offers. It is NOT Fiji or Bora Bora. It is a charming, slow paced amazing island full of culture, beauty, fun, and diversity.

I suggest that besides just thinking about your accomodation, which is very important for a honeymoon, you also do a little bit of background reading on Bali.

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/indonesia/bali

http://www.baliguide.com/

Good luck with whatever you decide. :)

Byron Bay, Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Legian
reviews: 1
7. Re: Bali or Fiji or Tahiti???

There are beaches near Bali that have crystal clear water like Nusa Lembongan and the Gili islands, but none that have overwater bungalows. There are however, a couple of beautiful resorts on Lembogan. I would suggest splitting your time between Ubud and the coast, say Sanur or Nusa Dua. Personally I don't like Nusa Dua, it's just a big tourist enclave, but the beach there is one of the best. Sanur is more my style being more laid back and casual with a lovely beach, lagoon and fantastic boardwalk for walking or cycling right along the beach. The Hyatt at Sanur is magnificent and there are some beautiful villas as well. Ubud is my most favourite place in Bali and is the cultural and artistic centre of the island. Lots to do and see here, great day trips, amazing scenery and really luxurious resorts and villas. Can highly recommend the Four Seasons at Sayang which is just outside Ubud. While I haven't stayed here, I have visited many times and this place is breathtaking!!!! Also another magnificent resort is the Amankila just outside Candi Dasa on the north-east coast of Bali. This is one of the famous Aman resort chains and it's magnficent. The views over the ocean to Lombok and Nusa Lembongan are stunning and the hotel is quiet and secluded. Could be just what you are looking for.

Asia
reviews: 41
8. Re: Bali or Fiji or Tahiti???

Hi,

If you are the kind whom can sit on the beach for hours and not talk to each other, then you really might want to reconsider Bali.

I have not been to Carribean/West Indies. I have been to the Maldives and beaches on some small islands in Thailand. For me, Bali's beaches are no where near those and the thing is, once you're "used" to really nice beaches, you kinda get pretty spoilt. I only like crystal clear water and white "powdered" sand beaches, which is why, now that I have a baby, I told myself that I don't want him to be spoilt in that sense either, so too bad for me, husband says. Haha.

I haven't heard of any over water bungalows either - that is one of my dream holidays; to do that in Bora Bora or somewhere in French Polynesia, but as I'll probably never be able to afford that, I told husband that I'll settle for that in Club Med in the Maldives! LOL!

The waters at the GIli Islands are also lovely, but also no over water bungalows.

Gold Coast...
reviews: 27
9. Re: Bali or Fiji or Tahiti???

If you want quiet beaches for a honeymoon, Bali may not be the right place. Fiji is a good option. If you want the crystal clear waters that when you see you just go WOW!!! have a look at the Yasawa Islands - you can do a cruise or stay on one of the islands. The Cook islands, Aitutaki in particular, is going to give you the wow factor as well. Tahiti is beautiful but very expensive. The best snorkelling thay I have done myself is in the Whitsunday Islands in Aust. You can hire a boat all to yourself or get a skipper, for 2 people a cruiser is a lot easier than a yacht, Sail all over the area, join a dive trip. There are so many places to choose from

Union Square, NYC
10. Re: Bali or Fiji or Tahiti???

HI, This is Amir's bride-to-be. Your responses have been so helpful!

How does the travel compare between these places? Since we are coming from NY there are obviously no direct flights to any of these places. How many stops are necessary and which ones require travel on tiny little scary planes.

Also, we are leaning towards tahiti... what other islands, besides bora bora, would you recommend there?

Thank you!

-Robyn