We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety

Portland, OR
reviews: 1
Safety

US State Dept and Aussie's formally now advise against travel to Bali due to terrorist threat, principally in the major tourist hotels and cities.

We have an upcoming trip, spending one night in kuta, two at jimbaron and 5 up at Amed.

It seems here that the level of worry is quite low, but with possible presidential election runoff and ramadan...is there reason for concern?

Thanks!

Broome, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome
reviews: 41
11. Re: Safety

I think staying in an area like Tuban or Legian would be good for you. You have easy access to Waterbom Park - everyone loves going there and children will enjoy at least two visits. These two areas are on the west coast and it's a surf beach. If you prefer that it's not, then you should stay in Sanur which is located on a beach with very calm waters.

All these areas have lots of beach activities available for children and also the bigger hotels cater well for them too, ie Dynasty in Tuban (South Kuta) is a popular spot for families.

Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 8
12. Re: Safety

Hey Bendygnome, we are staying in Seminyak in a privage villa called Cintaku. It is a little inland, so not as handy to the beach, but nice and quite and new with three bedrooms and bathrooms. As you would imagine this is essential with this many teenagers. It also has its own pool.

Activities we have planned are canyon tubing, white water rafting, bicycling down the mountain. A day trip to candidasa with snorkling on the way at blue lagoon. We are also going to Ubud and the monkey forest, having dinner on the beach at Jimbaran and having dinner one night at Hard Rock Cafe.

We may do horse riding on the beach, a trip to lembongan and the Git Git falls and Lake Batur if time permits.

Activities we have already done include, uluwatu, white water rafting (easy route), elephant park, elephant temple, kintamani and ubud. You are going to have a ball.

Ballarat
13. Re: Safety

Thanks for all those ideas Brisbane lizzy, sounds like you are very organised. Will definately start researching alot of those suggestions. Have you already booked the tours or do you just do it when you get over there. Appreciate your help,

Tam

Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 8
14. Re: Safety

Hi Tamstar, you call it organised, my kids call it anal, but they don't complain when we are having fun doing everything. We just organise everything when we get there as it is a lot cheaper it also keeps the locals employed. Just let me know if you can't find anything and I will give you the links.

Wollongong...
reviews: 5
15. Re: Safety

This November will be my 5 th trip to bali and all trips have had travel warning , and I've had no probs , stay away from huge crowds eat dinner earlier when the restaurants aren't so full ,

Is anywhere safe , here in australia terrorists have tryed but failed , america , spain , even the uk have had probs , dont let these guys win , keep your whits about you and have fun

Portland, OR
reviews: 1
16. Re: Safety

We just returned. In general, with the sheer volume of european, asian and australian tourists we sensed people were comfortable. Then again, we realize that the most recent Jakarta and previous Bali attacks were in populated areas where people probably felt safe at the time. We had dinner at the BBQ on the beach in Jimbaran where life just seems to be going on normally.

It is quite sad that various factions feel such anger, jealousy or injustice in the world. It is true that one is not safe anywhere necessarily. However, I think the perceived possibility of danger is higher in Bali than say Hawaii...

We certainly felt much better out of the main tourist areas, which would be true of any major city too. We appreciated what appeared to be increased security at major hotels and the airport, however effective it may be.

We would return with kids for certain in the future based on this first trip.

17. Re: Safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 07, 2010